Thistle Weir Youth Academy

Derby Jag

I think this is fantastic news. We now definitely have the chance to get good young players signed up and playing for Thistle before other teams. Imagine we could now start a cycle in which the team doesn't go into decline when we sell players or they move on, we get better players to replace them. Maybe the current Thistle team is just the start of something much, much more long-term....

Wow. This is brilliant news. Other clubs have benefitted from great youth coming through so it's great that all things being well, we will be following suit. We've all enjoyed the current young team on the pitch, and the thought of many more good young players coming through (and also earning PTFC some money when they are sold on to the Premiership!) is an exciting one. Thank you to the Weirs!

Many excellent coaches and even managers did not excel as players.

Given the relatively large number of people already in post, it's impressive that no information about the academy was leaked beforehand.

In view of the extremely generous donation by the Weirs, how good would it be if propco now donated the bing for a suitable development for the academy, rather than for private flats or whatever.

The first name on the coaches list on the website, is that THE Sandy Hodge? As in one of the worst ever players to wear a Thistle strip Sandy Hodge?

Can't imagine there's two Sandy Hodge's in football. Looking forward to our conveyor belt of shite centre halfs. Would imagine Peter MacDonald is the Dundee footballer, and Ryan McCann the full back.

Surprised to see Radio 1 DJ Scott Mills on the list though.

• Like 1

Glad this is out in the open now and confirmed and fantastic news for Thistle and will set the foundations for the future. :)

Fantastic gesture from the Weirs and i personally think investing in youth is what all clubs should be doing and this will put Thistle up with the big boys so to speak.

The best talent will see Thistle as an option now and the boys already in the set up will benefit greatly from this investment.

I have spoken to other parents since my lad got in the youth set up and we could all see what a big club Thistle was but fell a little short of fulfilling the potential it had but this will all change now.

Can't imagine there's two Sandy Hodge's in football. Looking forward to our conveyor belt of shite centre halfs. Would imagine Peter MacDonald is the Dundee footballer, and Ryan McCann the full back.

Surprised to see Radio 1 DJ Scott Mills on the list though.

Ryan McCann has been excellent for the 14's since he came in as a coach and these are the type guys you want at the club.

It really is a huge donation, the Weirs could of quite easily handed over 100k and got many plaudits. But this is a whole new level. Old saying of money makes money, and this really could. One great youth could turn over another 750k by the time he is 17/18. With our own youth system in place for a couple years and now with this boost, hopefully it will only be 2/3 years before results show.

Youngsters now have a professional development route, I imagine comparable to the old filth, with much bigger chances of success. I think we will need to really make an effort in the future to play these players when their good enough - even if that is at 16.

Its a fantastic donation by the Weirs, hopefully the youth academy will start to bring additional revenues to the club in a few years time like the recent windfall Hamiltion got.

I know from the Largs area the one thing they want to do is help community projects particulary where youth is involved and they can see tangable long term benefits rather than seeing money squandered and wasted.