North Stand Demonstration

potty trained

saw the protest banners on BT sport last night.. thought it was really good way to get the point across.

Good points from yoda jag there too although to be a bit pedantic there is a fair element of 'smuggling' has to be done in order to get banners/displays into that other ground in the other side of the city...

Well done to all involved... someone mentioned that the club are going to say somethign further about this - is this a potential change of mind??

Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts, a pre-season game in England and a Champions League game at Parkhead (Cliftonville was it?) are the ones that spring to mind.

whats depressing about these discussions is that the whole main stand being a firehazard was done to death years ago on old guises of this forum and that despite the scaremongering myths about that were well and truly put to bed back then, here we are again with the same myths circulating as if no one has learned anything.. such short memories. depressing also to see this new board usign the same bullshit stuff as the last one...lets bear in mind here that in the statement the club gave about the decision to move the singing section they used the word 'IF' when invoking the safety committee as the bogey man ready to take away the safety certificate. This is purely hypothetical, the safety committee have not made that a condition of maintaining a safety certificate thus there is no reason from external authorities for partick thistle to make this decision...since it is not an external authority that is pressing upon ptfc then one has to wonder what the motivations for this are and given that they are raising prices for this fixture its very difficult not to arrive at the conclusion that it is a commercial motivation that is driving this one.. **** THAT.

Edited by mrD

They are getting an extra section of the JH, in addition to what Morton and Dunfermline had last year, so thats more season ticket holders gettin ****** over.

While we're at it, lets get hoopy the huddle hound out on the pitch pre-match and then the royston republican flute band on there too at half-time, cause its turning into a ******* home game for that mob. Might as well go the whole hog and get the match switched back to Torbett Towers.

Edited by MWM

wonder if its too late to organise a boycotts from pay at the gate fans over this... im supposed to be going up with at least 5 others to this one but given all this plus them putting the price up for this im really tempted to give this one a miss...

know that this would be a bit controversial but im sure celtic fans would probably not be too happy to find out that they are getting charged extra for this fixture than would normally get... im also pretty sure that some segments of the celtic support (such as ahem the green brigade) would feel a sense of solidarity with this plight.

maybe too late for those kind of actions and there would be communication issues between differing fan groups...

Edited by mrD

The pricing policy for this game makes the Board's position perfectly clear. Jags fans get, effectively, a £40 two game package and Celtic fans pay £25. Clearly Celtic fans will be more welcome than those who consider Firhill as home.

I wonder what the playing squad make of this. Their much valued twelfth man being worth a fiver less to the Board than the opposition hordes.

I have always travelled to East and South Glasgow to support Thistle. They are very uncomfortable places to be but I go because I believe that our players need all the support they can get in such hostile environments.

This Board will, as others have before them, make Firhill an uncomfortable place for our team to play. Right now it's the last thing they need.

• Like 2

The pricing policy for this game makes the Board's position perfectly clear. Jags fans get, effectively, a £40 two game package and Celtic fans pay £25. Clearly Celtic fans will be more welcome than those who consider Firhill as home.

This is a completely perverse way of viewing the situation. I doubt the Celtic fans who are paying more than any other visiting fan will feel "welcome". More like exploited, and possibly less likely to bother coming when the game can be watched for free in the local pub.

• Like 1

This is a completely perverse way of viewing the situation. I doubt the Celtic fans who are paying more than any other visiting fan will feel "welcome". More like exploited, and possibly less likely to bother coming when the game can be watched for free in the local pub.

I didn't say that Celtic fans will feel welcome but that they would be welcome. I was suggesting that, to our bean counters, Celtic fans are more valuable than Thistle fans. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

For the record, I think it is wrong to have different prices for different supporters and I'm disappointed that Thistle have chosen to do this.

I don't think there will be any shortage of Celtic fans at the game. Quite a few I know are looking forward to coming to Firhill. If only 4% of those who go to Porkhead attend then there will be 2,000. For 4% of Celtic fans, Firhill is closer to home!

As far as I can recall, the last few times that both halves of the OF visited us their fans outnumbered us, so I can't really see the issue with that. I'm somewhat surprised that some people are staying away, as I would have thought the whole point is that you want to see your team playing the best in the country and trying to beat them. But each to their own.

Bowen Boys...someone mentions this was a perverse way of viewing this...i'll go one further...i don't even get the point of your post....absolutely bizarre!

Saint, a lot of posts (not just on this subject) are absolutely bizarre - it's the nature of this forum! From talk of boycotts to dropping strikers to sacking the board to moaning about moaning to criticising the club at any opportunity to very little credit when things go well to some wishing we were back in 1st division!!!! Bizarre indeed, which makes life such a wonderful tapestry.

As I'm no more than 50% likely to make the St Johnstone game where the voucher will redeemable, and highly likely to be at the next sellick game at home as well as this one definitely, I'll be privileged to enjoy a £50 2 game package. Oh, and without the freedom to choose my stand of choice these days - the North one.

Great stuff. I hope sellick won't be too put out if I'm decked out in MY team's colours, although I can cover up and avoid singing if it's likely to cause any bother.

• Like 1

Thought the demontration was a bit of a joke, jumping on the OF bandwagon of protest. It makes sense to make as much money as possible, especially before January when hopefully we can strengthen the squad and stay up. We will not match their support in numbers no matter what we do, but we can match their passion if we don't sit on our hands.

As for charging the great unwashed an extra fiver, what's the problem with that? How much will we get charged when we go to the piggery?

The club is getting stronger all the time, so lets back them.

• Like 2

Thought the demontration was a bit of a joke, jumping on the OF bandwagon of protest. It makes sense to make as much money as possible, especially before January when hopefully we can strengthen the squad and stay up. We will not match their support in numbers no matter what we do, but we can match their passion if we don't sit on our hands.

As for charging the great unwashed an extra fiver, what's the problem with that? How much will we get charged when we go to the piggery?

OK, if it makes sense to make as much money as possible, why don't we just give them the whole ground? They could obviously fill it given their huge fan base (90 million in Seville etc.). We would also save on stewarding costs given that segregation won't be necessary.

Absolutely, let's make as much money as possible. Let's not worry about angering and disillusioning our most vocal and positive supporters, the ones who create the atmosphere and have breathed new life into Firhill over the past 15 months.

• Like 4

Short term gain for long term loss, make a quick buck from one game whilst putting off some of your core customers for the long term

Will the Celtic subsidize us if we get relegated in a season or 2?? No we will be back to the 12thman lets try and get Onethistle up and running again........ oh wait... they have stopped attending

• Like 1

Can you not face watching the game elsewhere for 1 match? It's not as though its even half full, you can't expect a board of directors to allow the stadium to be half empty just to allow a minority of fans to have their cosy wee seats, lets be realistic about it.

You obviously don't understand the long term effect this will have.

Why should anyone bother getting flags made, why should anyone bother trying to create an atmosphere if they're just going to be disregarded everytime the OF come calling?

Let's not forget that we are changing OUR seating arrangements to accommodate a group of fans who trashed our stadium less than 6 months ago.

Let's also not forget that we are handing over a competitive advantage to the opposition before a ball has been kicked.

The players and management have all made it very clear that having their own fans behind the goal is beneficial to the team when they cross that white line.

Maybe the north stand would be busier this season if the fans felt that the Board Of Directors were recognising the contribution of those that are in the north stand every week. Maybe the morale would be higher if the fans felt that the BOD were fighting their corner, rather than pandering to Celtic.

Let's not forget that we have a die hard celtic supporter on the board (Ajay Chopra). How is a guy like that meant to identify with thistle fans?

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 2

**** sakes so only the OF have a right to express that they pissed off if they feel all is not well. maybe we really are the cuddly toy of scottish football..

as for the charges - well it kinda comprimises our whole branding about having good ticketing policies when we just change our prices at whim to make a quick buck