North Stand Demonstration

potty trained

Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts, a pre-season game in England and a Champions League game at Parkhead (Cliftonville was it?) are the ones that spring to mind.

The Aberdeen and hearts away games, and the Motherwell game on Saturday there, all this season?

I wasn't aware of that. It's a pity they act like that.

But I still don't think we should be moved for them.

Edited by potty trained

All the talk is about the £5 adult hike when it comes to pricing but I feel that we are on the slippery slope with the U16s go free. Now it is only those signed up for the season ticket. Its only a matter of time before that great initiative gets the boot along with our fans from the North Stand. Especially if we stay up. Watch this space.

Its now is all begining to feel like a marketing ploy to get those youngsters names and addresses. Tell me I am cynical and wrong.

In a week when the Weirs have encouraged youth developement I hope we don,t forget those youngsters who just want to follow and watch the football as well. There should still be no charge for U16 at any league game IMO.

All the talk is about the £5 adult hike when it comes to pricing but I feel that we are on the slippery slope with the U16s go free. Now it is only those signed up for the season ticket. Its only a matter of time before that great initiative gets the boot along with our fans from the North Stand. Especially if we stay up. Watch this space.

Its now is all begining to feel like a marketing ploy to get those youngsters names and addresses. Tell me I am cynical and wrong.

In a week when the Weirs have encouraged youth developement I hope we don,t forget those youngsters who just want to follow and watch the football as well. There should still be no charge for U16 at any league game IMO.

To be fair to the club on this one they did state at start of the season that only those holding an Under 16 season ticket would get into the Celtic game for Free and that they would not be handing out free tickets specifically for this game. I think this topic was even discussed on here at some length.

Edited by amsterdam jag
  • Like 1

Is it really such a terrible thing that is being done here. The cost of policing and stewarding the Celtic game is likely to be higher than your normal game, so it is in my opinion a valid commercial decision to increase the price. On the downside, it probably should have been made clear at the start of the season and I agree that U16's should get in free.

Allocating the StJ game to redeem the voucher is also a pretty decent decision as this is likely to be a game where there aren't so many away supporters. Trying to boost the attendance in any way is a good thing, whether it is from Thistle fans who don't normally go or from some of the Celtic fans who want to get a cheap game.

I am not sure what the long term affect is likely to be. Are we really going to lose supporters for the sake of a fiver ?

some good points there.

when did they bring in this change to the U16 go free policy?

Edited by mrD

I received the moving email as well. Since I've asked to be moved to the excellent main stand, where are other folk buying their fire retardant suit from, or is there somewhere local that hires them out by the hour?

I'll also be bringing just the one yellow flare for this game, anyone bringing a red one?

I'm totally against the move from the North Stand, I put up countless posts over the summer about it.

But bumping the game up to £25 is totally justified and the right thing to do. They will charge us £25 at Celtic Park, we are watching the same two teams, why do we pay an extra £5 to watch it at their ground, especially when large areas of the away end are restricted view.

The voucher for home fans should've been valid for £5 off any future home fixture this seaon and people who pay at the gate most weeks but can't make the St J can rightly feel slightly peeved at this. But it is always the case that Thsitle fans come out the woodwork for games against these 2, this simply encourages them to re-emerge from the woodwork at the St Johnstone game. Plus its hardly a unique situation, most teams have different categories of games. Do any teams in this league charge fans the same for the Celtic game as they do for a Ross County game?

• Like 2

To be fair to the club on this one they did state at start of the season that only those holding an Under 16 season ticket would get into the Celtic game for Free and that they would not be handing out free tickets specifically for this game. I think this topic was even discussed on here at some length.

For one game only I can see why the free entry approach needs to be controlled. Failure to do so could see a huge influx of weans, not all of them Jags fans. When we were last in the SPL it was amazing how many OF fans used to obtain tickets and sneak into the Thistle end. I even remember one old bloke turning to his mate to say that "these guys take football way too seriously!" The fact that they were shocked at what has being aimed at their team gave me no end of pleasure.

Is it really such a terrible thing that is being done here. The cost of policing and stewarding the Celtic game is likely to be higher than your normal game, so it is in my opinion a valid commercial decision to increase the price.

Complete nonsense. The crowd will be bigger and that will more than cover increased stewarding and policing. No need to increase the price for anyone.

OK, if it makes sense to make as much money as possible, why don't we just give them the whole ground? They could obviously fill it given their huge fan base (90 million in Seville etc.). We would also save on stewarding costs given that segregation won't be necessary.

Absolutely, let's make as much money as possible. Let's not worry about angering and disillusioning our most vocal and positive supporters, the ones who create the atmosphere and have breathed new life into Firhill over the past 15 months.

And modest too...

• Like 1

Complete nonsense. The crowd will be bigger and that will more than cover increased stewarding and policing. No need to increase the price for anyone.

How many more will be there than say, the DU game and how much extra will the policing and stewarding be for the Celtic match. If you have details about that, then I guess you can say my comment is complete nonsense. If not then your view is just an opinion,like mine.

by the amount of whinging going on, and 'protest' banners, i was beginning to think some of the support WERE actually OF fans. if some 'North Stand fans' are to be believed then they're the ones who should get all the credit for Thistle being in the top flight again, so how about they stfu about having to move for one game and just concentrate on getting behind the team?

by the amount of whinging going on, and 'protest' banners, i was beginning to think some of the support WERE actually OF fans. if some 'North Stand fans' are to be believed then they're the ones who should get all the credit for Thistle being in the top flight again, so how about they stfu about having to move for one game and just concentrate on getting behind the team?

Ok, so only OF fans are allowed to protest? Anyone who protests is automatically an OF fan? Sorry, but it's your kind of logic that sounds like an OF fan to me.

"If he's not one of us, he must be one of them".

Can I ask what you do, personally, to back the team every week?

I'm willing to bet that some of the people who are criticising the fans for protesting are the same ones who were STILL moaning at the players from the JH stand when we were 3-0 up in games last season. Perfectly audible on some of the highlights.

Re the stewarding costs. I'm only guessing so don't shoot me down when I say they will be higher than pro rata. That's based on previous comments from our history and other clubs' chairmen etc.

Whether to charge Celtic fans extra to offset the costs to me is a no brainer commercially, always assuming above is correct. To do so we have to charge our own pay at the gate fans the same price. Another assumption I'm making is that the Club have to reduce the away price at the designated match and hence the choice of a game where we can anticipate a low away turnout.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. Would tho' like to point out that probably the last time we played Celtic in the SPL there was no reduced gate for kids. I had to pay full price for an 11 year old and there was no compensatory voucher. I don't remember any great gnashing of teeth back then.

As I say I'm fairly neutral re this tho' I still think the forced migration from the North Stand is utterly wrong.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Is it any wonder that this forum is dying.Most real fans are fed up with the wingers,especially those who "couldn't make the game". Whilst it isn't ideal maybe the three hundred or so fans in the North Stand on Monday should just bite the bullet ,go to the main stand and try and make as much noise as the Hibs fans did. The extra cash made against Celtic will make difference and every opportunity to make money for the club should be accepted.

• Like 1

Is it any wonder that this forum is dying.Most real fans are fed up with the wingers,especially those who "couldn't make the game". Whilst it isn't ideal maybe the three hundred or so fans in the North Stand on Monday should just bite the bullet ,go to the main stand and try and make as much noise as the Hibs fans did. The extra cash made against Celtic will make difference and every opportunity to make money for the club should be accepted.

Maybe we should move all the JHS folk into the main stand and leave the full JHS for the celtic fans?

Why was the Main Stand deemed safe enough for Hibs fans, who have let off flares this season?

Why were Hearts fans put in the main stand, who have a history of letting off flares, before this season, and have done so again this season.

Where will the Motherwell fans be housed after they let off flares at St Mirren, seeing around 100 fans kept back for an hour by police resulting in arrests?

Where will St Johnstone fans be housed, who have also let off flares this season?

If we play Rangers, where will their fans be housed?

Oh, is it?

Are you not an ex rangers fan, who sits in the North Stand?

Why was the Main Stand deemed safe enough for Hibs fans, who have let off flares this season?

Why were Hearts fans put in the main stand, who have a history of letting off flares, before this season, and have done so again this season.

Where will the Motherwell fans be housed after they let off flares at St Mirren, seeing around 100 fans kept back for an hour by police resulting in arrests?

Where will St Johnstone fans be housed, who have also let off flares this season?

If we play Rangers, where will their fans be housed?

Killie fans as well.

Pretty sure that they actually DID let off some sort of smoke bomb at the recent game at Firhill.

Miraculously, the main stand survived!

How many more will be there than say, the DU game and how much extra will the policing and stewarding be for the Celtic match. If you have details about that, then I guess you can say my comment is complete nonsense. If not then your view is just an opinion,like mine.

I'll take a stab at the crowd being 9000. 7000 of them will be paying an extra £5. That's £35K.

Police and stewarding costs over and above a fixture like the Dundee United game will be nowhere near that figure.

It is 2 years out of date, but see this link for police costs for OF matches:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14251800

"CIS Insurance Cup Final (OF) at Hampden cost Strathclyde Police £412,216. The Scottish Football League, which is responsible for the cup, was charged £35,905.20."

There is no way a league match at Firhill is going to cost anywhere near that figure. The club are skimming the fans who are willing to pay for this match at the gate.

Killie fans as well.

Pretty sure that they actually DID let off some sort of smoke bomb at the recent game at Firhill.

Miraculously, the main stand survived!

Sorry Aberdeen too. They even have had a fan sentenced for letting off flares. But apparently none of these teams fans lives are important or as valuable as those of Celtic fans!

And there was me thinking the club has a Duty Of Care for everyone who attends the ground.

I'll take a stab at the crowd being 9000. 7000 of them will be paying an extra £5. That's £35K.

Police and stewarding costs over and above a fixture like the Dundee United game will be nowhere near that figure.

It is 2 years out of date, but see this link for police costs for OF matches:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...w-west-14251800

"CIS Insurance Cup Final (OF) at Hampden cost Strathclyde Police £412,216. The Scottish Football League, which is responsible for the cup, was charged £35,905.20."

There is no way a league match at Firhill is going to cost anywhere near that figure. The club are skimming the fans who are willing to pay for this match at the gate.

Are there any clubs in the league who don't bump a few quid on the PATG price when Celtic come to their ground?

Why should their fans be allowed to pay a mere £20 for an unrestricted view at a pleasent ground in salubrious Maryhill while we pay £25 for a restricted view at their dump in the East End Ghetto?

Edited by uberteeb