Swedish Journalists At Firhill

partickthedog

Did anyone else meet the two Swedish journalists (one of them was called Anders) who were at Firhill from about Wednesday to Saturday this week? I met them when I popped into the office to buy ties and calendars. They said that they were doing a 15 page feature on Partick Thistle for the next issue of a magazine called "Offside" which unfortunately only has a Swedish language edition! One of them had been speaking to Peter Lindau a few days previously and I was able to tell him how fondly Peter was still remembered, especially the classic hat-trick against Stirling Albion.

I was asked various questions about why I supported Thistle, why it was so much more fun than being an Old Firm fan, how I travelled to games, where I might go for a drink before and after etc, and was then photographed buying a calendar, buying a tie, going in and out of the office door etc etc. They stayed for the game yesterday and were filming the fans as we trooped out when the game was abandoned.

I presume that I was not the only fan they spoke to or interviewed and no doubt they had plenty of interaction with the office staff. It would be interesting to see the article when it appears and perhaps get an English translation to go with the photos.

In the wind and rain yesterday I did not manage to lay hold of a programme and it may be that there was something in this about our Swedish visitors.

Somewhat worryingly I found my conversation lapsing into Steve McLaren/Joey Barton fake foreign accent mode!

Edited by partickthedog

Interesting last two comments above: Last year (I think) a poster on here gave a link to a Norwegian football article written, naturally, in Norwegian (Norsk). I put it into google translate - Norwegian to English - and about 90% of it translated ok. I then put the same article into 'Swedish to English', then 'Danish to English' and they came out at around 60% or so comprehensible translation into English.

Quite sad of me to do that, I know, but it kinda proved a point just as those made above. All Germanic languages have quite a bit of commonality; the East Scandinavian languages branch even more so, with each other.

Going to see if I can get a copy and attempt a translation (Norsk & Svensk isn't so different)

Dansk isn't that different either. Looking forward to reading the article.

I lived in Sweden for a while and could converse easily with Norwegians. Couldn't understand a word from Danes! (though I had difficulty understanding anyone from the south of Sweden too)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its all Greek to me...

Quoting Shakespeare, eh? Possibly the following translation will still seem a bit like Greek

Partick Thistle - what is it for a bunch of really?

By: Anders Bengtsson

Today land issue 1/2014 for door mats and in the mailboxes of you who are subscribers to the Offside. You will note that there is a special issue, and you will immediately understand that it's about losers. Depressed? Well, not really.

Though we know that, for example, VM-90 in Italy not directly ended in a major key, the story behind the disappointments more beautiful than the Blues (there is therefore a 26-page report about the championship where we have depth interviews with nearly 20 persons who in one way or another were involved). And so it is with many of the losing stories that you can read in our new number. 

Enough of it. Now I thought bjussa at a small excerpt from the story as I did with photographer Peter Claesson. The week before Christmas break, we flew to Glasgow - the result was a melancholy story of Partick Thistle, the city's third club struggling in the shadow of Celtic and Rangers. Personally, I fell head over heels for the club. How do you know, yes, we shall see.

So lengthy as:

»Under the tab" History "at Partick Thistle's website noted laconically that the club most likely have conceded more goals than they did ahead during its nearly 140-year history. It also says, "What kind of man is the Thistle? Yes, we are not as many, which suggests that it is not the easiest thing to be a Thistlesupporter. An average person can probably not do it. Not everyone wishes to each and every other day being teased at work or at school by those who take the easy way out in life. Not everyone can cope with that all the time see their favorite players to be sold to other clubs. For decades we have also had to live with that joke about us, there are things that our supporters are so few that they have the annual meeting in a phone booth. Thistlesupportrar may be few in number, but no one can say that we are sustainable, durable and bordering on masochistic. "

It's Thursday morning and barely two weeks to Christmas Eve when I stand next to Robert Reid, the soon-80-year-old man behind the description on the website. »Thistlehistorikern," as he calls himself, and "club ambassador," as the club calls him, gazing out through a dirty window and the bottom of the home stadium Firhill and its rain-soaked lawn.

- When there's a gray day in Scotland, it is a black day in Glasgow, he says. The latest is that it will rain every day until Saturday when we face St Johnstone. Today, tomorrow and on Saturday.

interior around us - a dingy office with pale carpet, fluorescent lights and a huge copy machine with built-in fax machine that works like some kind of mid-point of the six people who are paid to full-time care for and develop Partick Thistle - reminiscent not so little feeling in the English television series The Office.

George Francis, the last to be employed, is responsible for media, public relations and website. On his own initiative, he handles even Twitter and Facebook.

- We must adapt, he says firmly.

When Robert and I pass him, he sits hunched over his cluttered desk with an ear to the computer's speakers. He listens through its latest initiative - a new automated telephone voice to meet the caller and want to buy tickets. George is delighted that the new voice has a more British accent than the previous one. He's polished enough to realize that there is potential among all the international students housed in the Maryhill district in northwest Glasgow, where the club belongs. The Asian, African and even the Swedish students at the University of Glasgow may well be Thistlesupportrar during his years in Scotland. Therefore, one should not risk missing out on some extra selling match tickets just to have for years insisted on having a rough Scottish dialect, as newcomers to understand, on the answering machine.

, Robert sinks down on a chair in the office's conference room. The walls are bare and it pulls away from the door that leads out to träläktaren.

- We work hard to increase the number of spectators at our home games, he says. But it's hard ... We have not won the league here at Firhill this season yet, and to get people to pay 20 pounds to see us lose not attract everyone. Now we offer all under 16 years old at entry.

Robert shakes his head:

- Have you heard the following joke circulating in the green and blue parts of town?

- No.

- Yes, now is the almost all of those two teams, so one can say that basically everyone in Glasgow draws joke periodically. Okay, so here goes it: A calling to Thistles office and ask when the game starts. The receptionist replies, "When you want it to start? You are the only one who will. "

Those of you who do not subscribe will have to wait until next week when the number reaches stores. Here you can read more about the contents of the number 1/2014 .

Incidentally, you can now listen to section two of Offsides podcast. Both Johan and I think this is too damn funny. We are beginners but hope you like what you hear, we run namely the future. Every Wednesday you can listen through iTunes, offside.podomatic.com, Podkicker and BeyondPod. Please do so and contact us with comments. Would you just burn a tweet you do so during our hashtag # offside podcast.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Quoting Shakespeare, eh? Possibly the following translation will still seem a bit like Greek

Partick Thistle - what is it for a bunch of really?

By: Anders Bengtsson

Today land issue 1/2014 for door mats and in the mailboxes of you who are subscribers to the Offside. You will note that there is a special issue, and you will immediately understand that it's about losers. Depressed? Well, not really.

Though we know that, for example, VM-90 in Italy not directly ended in a major key, the story behind the disappointments more beautiful than the Blues (there is therefore a 26-page report about the championship where we have depth interviews with nearly 20 persons who in one way or another were involved). And so it is with many of the losing stories that you can read in our new number. 

Enough of it. Now I thought bjussa at a small excerpt from the story as I did with photographer Peter Claesson. The week before Christmas break, we flew to Glasgow - the result was a melancholy story of Partick Thistle, the city's third club struggling in the shadow of Celtic and Rangers. Personally, I fell head over heels for the club. How do you know, yes, we shall see.

So lengthy as:

»Under the tab" History "at Partick Thistle's website noted laconically that the club most likely have conceded more goals than they did ahead during its nearly 140-year history. It also says, "What kind of man is the Thistle? Yes, we are not as many, which suggests that it is not the easiest thing to be a Thistlesupporter. An average person can probably not do it. Not everyone wishes to each and every other day being teased at work or at school by those who take the easy way out in life. Not everyone can cope with that all the time see their favorite players to be sold to other clubs. For decades we have also had to live with that joke about us, there are things that our supporters are so few that they have the annual meeting in a phone booth. Thistlesupportrar may be few in number, but no one can say that we are sustainable, durable and bordering on masochistic. "

It's Thursday morning and barely two weeks to Christmas Eve when I stand next to Robert Reid, the soon-80-year-old man behind the description on the website. »Thistlehistorikern," as he calls himself, and "club ambassador," as the club calls him, gazing out through a dirty window and the bottom of the home stadium Firhill and its rain-soaked lawn.

- When there's a gray day in Scotland, it is a black day in Glasgow, he says. The latest is that it will rain every day until Saturday when we face St Johnstone. Today, tomorrow and on Saturday.

interior around us - a dingy office with pale carpet, fluorescent lights and a huge copy machine with built-in fax machine that works like some kind of mid-point of the six people who are paid to full-time care for and develop Partick Thistle - reminiscent not so little feeling in the English television series The Office.

George Francis, the last to be employed, is responsible for media, public relations and website. On his own initiative, he handles even Twitter and Facebook.

- We must adapt, he says firmly.

When Robert and I pass him, he sits hunched over his cluttered desk with an ear to the computer's speakers. He listens through its latest initiative - a new automated telephone voice to meet the caller and want to buy tickets. George is delighted that the new voice has a more British accent than the previous one. He's polished enough to realize that there is potential among all the international students housed in the Maryhill district in northwest Glasgow, where the club belongs. The Asian, African and even the Swedish students at the University of Glasgow may well be Thistlesupportrar during his years in Scotland. Therefore, one should not risk missing out on some extra selling match tickets just to have for years insisted on having a rough Scottish dialect, as newcomers to understand, on the answering machine.

, Robert sinks down on a chair in the office's conference room. The walls are bare and it pulls away from the door that leads out to träläktaren.

- We work hard to increase the number of spectators at our home games, he says. But it's hard ... We have not won the league here at Firhill this season yet, and to get people to pay 20 pounds to see us lose not attract everyone. Now we offer all under 16 years old at entry.

Robert shakes his head:

- Have you heard the following joke circulating in the green and blue parts of town?

- No.

- Yes, now is the almost all of those two teams, so one can say that basically everyone in Glasgow draws joke periodically. Okay, so here goes it: A calling to Thistles office and ask when the game starts. The receptionist replies, "When you want it to start? You are the only one who will. "

Those of you who do not subscribe will have to wait until next week when the number reaches stores. Here you can read more about the contents of the number 1/2014 .

Incidentally, you can now listen to section two of Offsides podcast. Both Johan and I think this is too damn funny. We are beginners but hope you like what you hear, we run namely the future. Every Wednesday you can listen through iTunes, offside.podomatic.com, Podkicker and BeyondPod. Please do so and contact us with comments. Would you just burn a tweet you do so during our hashtag # offside podcast.

Ha ha! Sounds like Borat.