Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

Winning on Saturday would be a good start. Fact is that if we'd held on for a few more minutes on Saturday and got a break last night nobody would be questioning "the plan". We have a young team that's capable of improving and being given a chance to develop by the management, which seems like a decent plan to me.

I think you need to read my whole post chief before pissing your knickers. I said- If it goes on much longer...

He's not a joke at the moment but if he can't turn round our form he is in danger of becoming one like Collins is.

It's you that's pissing their knickers here, with all the doom and gloom tripe you keep spouting. And to say Gerry Collins was a club legend???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will finish on the subject with this as i think he deserves more time and should be given it, but will let real Jags fans debate it now.

When my lad joined Thistle as a youth player the first team were doing well under Jackie and everything was rosy which obviously hasn't always been the case for the followers of the Jags.

The youth team didn't have at this time the investment from the Weirs but they did have an eye for the type of player they wanted to bring into the club, the type of football they want played and this is why my lad is at the club and why i know he will develop well as a player here.

I started to go to a few home games and enjoyed the football, the atmosphere and the club in general was in a good place.

Jackie then gets a few dodgy results and a mini panic sets in with some but then drops the bomb shell and leaves for DUTD and more panic sets in with everyone thinking Morton would ruin everything.

However Archie gets the job ,gets the team playing good football again and wins the league with a young exciting team that stood up to the challenge that faced them.

He kept the principles of how Jackie had the team playing but done it better and everyone was ecstatic at the league win and being a bit of a glory hunter myself i joined in with those celebrations :D

He then takes the team to the top flight with a young group of players and a small budget to work with and gets the team playing an exciting brand of football that has raised a few eyebrows amongst followers and coaches of other teams.

It's a breath of fresh air for me to see this and it's how the youth teams are set out and coached to play like.

This young team with it's young manager who are plying their trade at the top level of football in this country are having to get by with very little money to improve things like other teams are doing with their squads and it's a vey steep learning curve for them all.

When you then lose a crucial player for the season that has hampered how the team plays then you can see how difficult it is for him to do the job he wants with this team with the depth of squad he has at his disposal.

They are still in the fight and everything is still to play for and that is why he needs to be given time to see it through .

He will gain alot of good experience from this season no matter how it ends up.

The Weirs invested alot of money in the Academy and it's all run very well by Gerry and the other coaching staff but Archie will have a big input in this which could be messed up with someone coming in with a total different approach.

You also can't just bring someone in just for the sake of it and hoping they can get more out this squad when things will be 10 times worse if any new manager should fail and your stuck with them.

Get behind the manager and the team and just think for a bit what he has achieved so far which is hell of alot and he can still turn this around.

Edited by billko
  • Like 6

He can start by learning at a lesser club or from someone beside him who knows the game.

I feel sorry for the guy. He hasn't had any chance to learn his apprenticeship in management. He initially didn't want the job but started off well with results and got on with it. He galvanised the team last season and deserved credit for that but it's not working in the Premiership.

I don't know any industry where a normal office worker would be put in sole charge of a top company with no help whatsoever. He'd run it into the ground.

Absolute nonsense to say he didn't want the job. He never once said that.

Classic sign of someone losing an argument when they just start making things up.

He wanted the job as soon as Jackie left.

Get facts right before spouting nonsense.

• Like 1

Thank you for your dispassionate comments, Billko.

It's just an honest view of how i see it, but the passions of fans run high and we all see things differently and have our own views

That's football for you but a knee jerk reaction is not the best way forward for the club. (imo)

It's just an honest view of how i see it, but the passions of fans run high and we all see things differently and have our own views

That's football for you but a knee jerk reaction is not the best way forward for the club. (imo)

Getting rid of Archie is not the answer but maybe a slight change in how he times his substitutions ie making them quicker when it's fairly obvious what needs to be done in the case of Doolan coming on for Lawless on Tuesday night and changing the shape of the team slightly when again it's obvious we are not coping,all this would help.It seemed to me and most others around me that the above change should have been made much quicker on Tuesday and for the second game running Fraser was knackered well before the end for whatever reason and should have been taken off,I reckon he will be a superb player for us and like his style but he is clearly not match fit,so a few minor changes in how things are done and I reckon we will not be far away.

Getting rid of Archie is not the answer but maybe a slight change in how he times his substitutions ie making them quicker when it's fairly obvious what needs to be done in the case of Doolan coming on for Lawless on Tuesday night and changing the shape of the team slightly when again it's obvious we are not coping,all this would help.It seemed to me and most others around me that the above change should have been made much quicker on Tuesday and for the second game running Fraser was knackered well before the end for whatever reason and should have been taken off,I reckon he will be a superb player for us and like his style but he is clearly not match fit,so a few minor changes in how things are done and I reckon we will not be far away.

Doolan could have replaced a few players though but i think Doolan will be better for getting a rest with the arrival of Taylor.

He has put in alot of work in the first half of the season as the main front man and i think he will be an important player in the run in for Thistle.

I was expecting Thistle to get out the blocks a bit quicker against St Johnstone but the first half hour was pretty poor and Thistle didn't carry much threat until the second half.

Fraser looked tired in the second half but he is very young and playing in the middle is always a tough shift so you can't expect too much from him at this time.

I still think Thistle are a wee bit short in vital areas but they are also strong in other areas like going forward but it's getting these players into play to cause teams problems is the difficult part.

Edited by billko

Gave up reading this thread in its entirety so apologies if this point has already been made. How much would it cost to terminate Archie's 1 year rolling contract (and those of Paterson and McKenzie) and how much would it cost to

Get a new manager in? Add them together and ask yourself "is there a manager out there who is a viable candidate for Thistle who is so much better than Archie that he's worth that expense"?

Given Archie is showing just as much potential as the team, unsurprisingly also making what many consider to be obvious mistakes from management and players, I'd say no there isn't. Looking at the big picture, and resisting the obvious knee jerk reaction, I am very excited about the future of my club for a change...preferably in the premiership but if not so be it.

• Like 1

Classic sign of someone losing an argument when they just start making things up.

100% spot on.

Just after McNamara left he said that he just wanted to continue playing and the situation with him being put in charge wasn't ideal.

A week or so later came out and said he definitely wanted it.

At no point did he say straight away that he wanted it.

I'm guessing some of the views posted on the this thread are more reflective of general negativity of the posters than well constructed opinion on the subject matter. That's a forum for you, it takes all sorts.

My personal view is that Archie is the man for the job, will scrape by this season having kept us up and will take a massive amount of new experience into next season and build slowly from there. A much better long term strategy that the boom and bust techniques shown by other teams in recent years.

I get the impression the more experienced fans realise that despite recent poor/unlucky performances and results recently that the big picture shows we are still actually on the crest of a wave and 3rd bottom or even play-off victory keeps us there.

• Like 2

Just after McNamara left he said that he just wanted to continue playing and the situation with him being put in charge wasn't ideal.

A week or so later came out and said he definitely wanted it.

At no point did he say straight away that he wanted it.

Links? Evidence?