Hearts V Jags

The Cup

As Tim Sherwood found out to his cost recently, playing with two strikers isn't often feasible these days. And when it does at times appear successful, more often than not one of the 'strikers' is playing in the no.10 role (e.g. Rooney, Aguero). I wonder if Doolan could play in a more withdrawn role. Personally I'd prefer to see Craigen, Lawless or Higginbotham in that position.

Ross County's midfield is looking much improved with Kiss and Tidser signing. We need someone that has a bit of dig to close these guys down.

I don't think Lawless or Higgy can replace Bannigan in that role.

Forbes might be an option but he can't shrink out of tackles. Or move Muirhead into midfield beside Craigen.

Neither is a great option.

Bannigan has cost us big time.

Ross County's midfield is looking much improved with Kiss and Tidser signing. We need someone that has a bit of dig to close these guys down.

Forbes might be an option but he can't shrink out of tackles. Or move Muirhead into midfield beside Craigen.

sounds faintly euphemistic, or maybe a couple of glove puppets on kiddies TV?

Got to agree that we could've done without having to re-organise the team because of Bannigan. Suppose he could just as easily have been out with a knock. I'm not too sure that starting with Higgy, Lawless & Forbes will work as all three tend to either give the ball away too often, offer little defensively or indeed both. If pushed I'd rather see Wilson start than Kerr but I hope neither. Running out of options unless McMillan is up to it. I can't really see him playing alongside and/or just in front of Muirhead

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I thought Muirhead had been playing in midfield of late. He certainly did against Celtic anyway.

As much as I feel Doolan has been unlucky in being dropped I don't think we are strong enough at this level yet to get away without an extra body in midfield. A compromise could be to play three at the back, but it seems rash to change a formation that is working (at the moment).

Doolan has been great this season but Taylor looks faster and stronger and an all round better player IMO.

Would Doolan have scored Taylor's goal had he been in the same position?

I would say no.

Mibbess aye, mibbees naw... but actually Taylor was lucky to score it. He did really well to get into the position he did, but he could barely have picked a worse place to aim for with the goal at his mercy. It went in of course, and that's what counts!

why? the second was a 50 50 ball the fact that the ref was rubbish is not his fault.

I would maybe drop doolan into an atacking midfield role simmilar to commons of celtic. His work rate is far better than forbes.

You could then pull craigen back into a more holding role.

Erty13

I agree with this. I think Doolans link up play is excellent and I reckon that he is versatile enough to play just behind Taylor. They would be a handful right enough...

I would maybe drop doolan into an atacking midfield role simmilar to commons of celtic. His work rate is far better than forbes.

Erty13

That might well be worthwhile.

Playing five we should never surrender midfield. Lose the battle for midfield now and again but never surrender it. That's what happened against Motherwell and the defence crumbled. A weaker part of Craigen's game is his tackling. No real problem where he normally plays but more of a concern the further back he goes. I don't think big Aero is that mobile so we also really need someone snapping at heels but can also pass the ball about. Far from ideal Craigen might just have to cover that role so we don't want to compound problems by continually giving the ball away further upfield. Playing Doolan could go some way to alleviating that problem.

When things are less tight in the league - or if we really have to chase a game - then playing them together is an option. I'm of the opinion that Dools is a good enough all-round footballer to play say in the Lawless position or just behind the main forward which would let us play both while maintaining the same system.

Just saying, like... :)

Erty13

You've been reading my mind, as the same thought struck me whilst watching the Hearts game. Particularly, as most of us would agree that despite Dools being a great player and a willing worker, what he most definitely isn't is an out and out centre forward. I think this would be ideal for the County game.

Edited by stillresigned

Been thinking that. Doolan links up very well with the midfield generally but has been isolated without Erskine. Putting Taylor in the main CF role with Doolan supporting from attacking midfield will join everything up and I believe bring others into scoring positions more. This will also allow Taylor to play on the shoulder of defense without isolating himself.

• Like 2

A brief footnote to the Hearts game. Did I imagine it or did SOD really go on an almost Hansen-esque run with the ball across the entire width of our 6 yard box in the second half?

Shooing Fox out of the way in the process!

Not seen it mentioned elsewhere, so perhaps it was just the strain of those final few minutes.

• Like 2