Never Has A Squad Divided Opinion

potty trained

... As much as this one!

It's incredible just how much this seasons squad splits opinion!

In years gone past we've pretty much had a starting 11 that I think the vast majority would acknowledge to be our best. This season seems the complete opposite.

I don't know if it's our formation we play, that splits between 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-1-3 depending on whether we are in possession or not. But there seems to be a selection of players who split opinion right down the middle.

Right Back: SoD or McMillan.

Centre halves: pick any two from 3. Or 1 of them and get an experienced player in.

Who plays DM when we have injuries?

Right Mid: Elliott, SoD or Lawless.

AM: Craigen, Forbes or Lawless, move Higgy in there? Even Doolan gets a mention now he's dropped.

And that's not even talking about Fox or Gal.

So I suppose the question is...

What is everyone's first choice 11, when fit... Including Ozzy.

Edited by potty trained

Agree with jag fox, that is the best starting 11 we have at our disposal I think, harsh on doolan but he'd still be involved in games at some stage....other thought I had was move ozzy to centre back alongside muirhead and have Fraser in the midfield with welsh and banzo. Ozzy is solid, organises and would toughen our back line up.

I'd like to see us try:

Fox

McMillan Gabby Aero ATS

Ozzy Welsh/bannigan

SOD higgy

Lawless

Taylor

Take your pick from welsh/bannigan, tough on whoever would miss out, but I think if we played Ozzy, welsh and bannigan in the middle of the park there would be far too big a gap between Taylor and the midfield. I like lawless in that gap, he gets into those positions between the oppositions midfield and defence which is hard to pick up, and if he can get turned and running at the CB's he would cause problems.

Assuming form doesn't come into it:

............................... Fox ............................

O'Donnell .. Muirhead .. Balatoni .. Sinclair

.................... Welsh .... Fraser ..................

.... Higginbotham .. Craigen .. Lawless ......

............................. Taylor ..........................

Against stronger oppostion (top four clubs) I'd bring on Osbourne and Bannigan for Craigen and Fraser - having Osbourne sit behind Welsh and Bannigan (more like a 4-1-4-1).

To back up the op it is interesting to note we have rarely started the same eleven week to week. There are obvious reasons for this in the likes of injuries and the odd suspension.

There definetly seems to be a lot of mixed opinions about players in the squad. Higgy, Elliott and Lawless seem to have a mix of backers and slaters but hey its opinions that keep this place going.

There was a sound argument for Fraser getting a start on Saturday and I agree that we partially failed to win due to County bossing the midfield for large spells of the match.

Remember Fraser has only started four games and has missed a lot of game time due to injury and that suspension. He was also spotted in the pink tutu recently for what I assume is being the poorest in training, an attire Lawless has also been spotted in. Obviously this is a bit of fun amongst the playing squad but it does remind me that Archie will pick certain players depending on what he and his team have observed in training.

Archie certainly keeps his cards close to his chest on team selection, as well as the transfer market, as we rarely see our predictions matched by the man in charge. Sadly we may never see the team I cobbled together in the Red n Yellow due to injury or the end of contracts or loans.

A couple more signings over the next werk or two could blow it out of the water ;)

I'm sure Doolan will get his fair share of playing time over the rest of the season. He has had a large workload to bear prior to Taylor joining up. Ironically LT had a chance between his goals that I feel Dools would have slipped into the net. Both have positive attributes and it would be good to see them both add to their goal tallys. However I'm not a fan of the 4-4-2 as a starting formation these days, but I feel both could do a job later on in games if required and the situation suited it.

I'm not sure that our best 11 players would equal our best team. That's a good thing, to have options.

I would have to see Ozzy and Welsh play a few games together to be sure that they don't get in each other's way too much. I would like to see Bannigan given the freedom to make more runs from midfield. He hasn't had that chance often enough this season.

For me, it'd be:

Fox

McMillan Muirhead The Mexican ATS

Welsh (or Bannigan, if pushed...)

Higginbotham Fraser Lawless

Doolan

Taylor

Although he is technically still our player, I don't see much point in including Osborne, mighty tho he is, if he is out for the season - so this is an attempt at a team we could feasibly field (if Welsh is ever fit again)... Also I know the manager is keen to stick with his formation and maybe he doesn't see Doolan as a no.10 but I hate the fact that our most talented footballer has been dropped (even tho I admit Taylor is a better lone striker).

i suppose i should not have added the Ozzy match fit "caveat".

However, with him fit i'd go:

Fox

O'Donnell - Muirhead - Gabby - Sinclair

Osbourne - Bannigan

Lawless - Craigen - Higgenbotham

Taylor

There's not much between Gal and Fox, both are shit at cross balls, it's a big gamble changing your keeper, but i'd maybe give Fox til the St Mirren game and bring Gal in for that, through February against the better teams.

I don't think i've seen enough of McMillan, although what i have seen, i've been impressed with, both his defensive qualities and going forward. O'Donnell's positional sense is becoming eratic at best, but going forward he is the better option.

No places for Conrad, who i think is getting found out at this level, the good luck and fortune he had last year, in a better league, now shows up as bad luck and misfortune. I think the other two have the most potential to improve, but i would be looking to bring in an experienced centre half in the Stephen McManus mould (Lee Mair anyone?) to give these lads some direction.

With Osbourne out, i'd bring in a fully fit Fraser, i think bringing him back into the first team will add a bit of what we have been missing since Paton left. i know all the stats say we are the best team in the world when welsh plays, but i just don't see what he offeres to the team, least of all the fact i can't remember the last time he was fully fit (even when in the squad).

Although probably not physical or tall enough for the SPFL and Archie's sometimes more direct style of play, Lawless edges it over Elliott, though hopefully Archie is looking to bring in someone in that position, better than what we have, especially with Lawless away in the summer. I can't imagine a scenario that would see me start Forbes, his body language says he isn't interested and there are players in the team who can do exactly what he does. If i hear this fantasy again thet his dead ball delivery is incredible, i'll lose it! It's not, free kicks hitting the wall... corners not even staying on the park, says it all.

Tough on Doolan, but Taylor is a far better player, Doolan's good, but like Ozzy, you look at Taylor and think.... "this guy's too good for Thistle". I wouldn't be prepared to start droppig players just to find a space for Doolan.

Fox

SOD - Muirhead - Piccalo - ATS

Fraser - Bannigan

Lawless - Higginbotham

Doolan - Taylor

I'm not playing this Ozzy game, I've never thought Welsh was as good as everyone else does, Taylor leading the line and Doolan buzzing about him on either side,

I like the attacking feel to that side but it is a bit light in midfield, imo. Almost an old school 4-2-4.

Edited by jagfox

I was going to post my optimum team last night but forgot. Today it's slightly different so I'm not sure I can as I'll no doubt change my mind yet again while I'm typing.

I'm sure there's a lot like me in that regard. There's been times where I would start Elliott and other times when I wouldn't have him in the matchday 18. Similarly with Forbes and even Lawless.

The set up of the team changes if Osbourne is included or not. When Ossie plays we need another central midfielder in there both carrying the ball forward and passing it forward. With Ossie not playing we've got two holding midfielders and Craigen dropping back to collect the ball more often than not. To counter that we need Welsh or Fraser back in the side so as James can stay forward.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Fox

O'Donnell- Gabby - Sinclair

Osbourne - ------------

---------------- Bannigan

Lawless ----------------------- Higgenbotham

Craigan

Taylor-Doolan

Proper old school 2 wingers, 1 CAM, 1 CF, 1 Sriker, Defensive (Sitting Midfielder), 1 CM pushin up (Box - Box), 3 Centre halfs who can narrow going back or spread going forward.

Lets go for it Archie 3-2-3-2 Total attacking football !!!!!!!

And as it works for me in FIFA it must work in real life--------- Europe here we come!!!!

Fox

O'Donnell- Gabby - Sinclair

Osbourne - ------------

---------------- Bannigan

Lawless ----------------------- Higgenbotham

Craigan

Taylor-Doolan

Proper old school 2 wingers, 1 CAM, 1 CF, 1 Sriker, Defensive (Sitting Midfielder), 1 CM pushin up (Box - Box), 3 Centre halfs who can narrow going back or spread going forward.

Lets go for it Archie 3-2-3-2 Total attacking football !!!!!!!

And as it works for me in FIFA it must work in real life--------- Europe here we come!!!!

Aren't you already in Europe?