Inciting "public Disorder By Singing Sectarian And Offensive Remarks"?

danish jag

****** hell!!!!!!!!! I understand why that song has become unacceptable to sing but my God, what a shite law that is. Poor guy, that must been terrible having that hang over him like that, although it's good news he won't have to declare it as a conviction.

Exactly they pick one guy from a crowd of 300 singing it at Firhill yet go to any Sevco and Sellik games week in and week out and thousands are chanting sectarian abuse and how many arrests are there??? Lets see how many arrests they make if Sevco play Sellik in the Scottish Cup this season!!! Outrageous!

Edited by Lindau

Sheriff Norman Ritchie QC seems to have the balance right. He knows they can't say guilty to one and not guilty to another when the words “F*** your Pope and f*** your Queen” are used. The context is not missed on him so has done everything he could to minimise the impact on on Adam by keeping his record clean and basically saying he should not be in front of him. I would imaging behind the scenes he has had a go at the ineptitude of the police for letting this happen and I hope they would think twice about making an arrest under the same circumstances.

What a waste of money and time and says more about bigotry in the ranks of the police than the stands of Firhill. Fair enough, it's time to replace this song with something more PC, but I've been 'guilty' of singing this many a time myself but certainly don't feel the least bit guilty for doing it.

Onwards and upwards for the great Glasgow alternative.

It would take hours to discuss the iniquities of Scottish football legislation. Instead, I would criticise the behaviour of the police and Fiscal in this matter, quite clearly this act was aimed at religious bigots, who if the authorities were minded to catch would probably find near London Road and definitely find near Copeland Road on alternate Saturdays. Instead, and to their great shame the forces of law and order go for what they think are the easy pickings offered by a teenage Jags fan. It is self evidently a disgrace that the authorities in Glasgow are actually by their own(in)action perverting the very law they are purportedly seeking to uphold. As for "Nil By Mouth", I agree with their spokesman that in a decent society language like that used in the song should be unacceptable, but that is to totally miss the intentional irony of the song. In addition, the song does not seek to engender hate against any group of people, based on race, nationality or religion. In other words FFS get a life!

I forward the motion that all football teams should play in grey coloured robes due to the religious connotations of certain colours and the offence naked flesh may cause to certain sections of society. It naturally follows that all spectators should retain a respectful silence at all times in order to allow all those in attendance to enjoy the sporting occasion without question, distraction or influence to their own thoughts or beliefs.

WE ARE ALL ADAM RICHMOND!!!

• Like 1

Personally, I've always thought the song is fine and people don't take offence to it - even old firm fans I know couldn't care about it. One member should never be singled out from a crowd if everybody sings the same - either they take action and pull out a group of people if there is real sectarian abuse - or take nobody. The boy should of been giving a warning by stewards to not sing it, if they had a problem.

Glad that he doesn't have the conviction on his record.

But the months of worry that him and his family have inevitably gone through, he'll never be compensated for that.

I don't know how they went about arresting this particular lad, but I know of someone else who was at Firhill that day who had his door kicked in at 5am, arrested in front of his parents and girlfriend, missed his work, was denied phone calls and kept in custody for 13 hours.

Thanks very much Mr. Salmond - is this the fairer society he speaks of?

Edited by ian_mac

It's an absolute disaster of a law. As a friend said to me about it, this really sums it up:

"Under the Act, if we're in the pub and the TV is showing Take the High Road and I call someone a dirty [h word], that's ok, but if someone switches channel to Alloa v Stenhousemuir before they reply that I am of the [the sectarian f word] breed, they're done for it."

The fannies who lifted the boy AND the fannies who processed his case, ensuring it went to court, are the ones who should get done for putting public money to very bad use.

Man of the match: the judge.

Oh, and regards to the young fella - his nightmare might just have had the effect of demonstrating to the public what the difference is between bigotry and active anti-bigotry.