Dufc Game

DublinMagyar

Well you cant fault the effort of our guys anyway.Didn't think the goal was ever going to come but credit to the team for grinding out a point .Overall I thought we were the better team. Usual goal conceeded however, identical to many others over the season.Full back attacking upfeild , ball down the flank, center back comes out and then its in our net..............how many times .

Biggest dissapointment is our final ball.Overhit or to a lone isolated striker covered by three defenders , we really need to work on this.

Some very good individuall performances too.Balatoni had his best game for a long time,Gallagher was fantastic in goals too.Prince had a good start .Higgy can be frustrating but the guy gives everything even when injured.

Seen tghe penalty incident again on alba , looke outside and he leapt a bit for it too.

Gary Fraiser just needs to play more.He gives the ball away too many times but always wanting to have a shot,could be a really big player for us in the future.

Despite not winning at home again Im feeling a bit more positive about our chances.

Also , did you see the HT interveiw with GMS and his life partner Armstrong on ALBA, whit a cringe

Really enjoyed that. Thought we played well. Draw was probably a fair result if only for the fact that United probably had the clearer chances. Thought Prince looked a good bit of business. As for United's first half penalty, the only thing the ref got wrong was that he didn't book the ******* for diving. Thank God they didn't play Gauld from the start; that lad looks special.

• Like 1

That's the Christie who sold their goal ?!

He and McMillan were woeful in the first half everything from United came down that side

Agreed McMillan was poor. His man marking was mince. Christie played his arse off, as he always does, full commitment to the cause. He's not the kind of player I want on from the start but I thought he put in a great shift today.

Really enjoyed that. Thought we played well. Draw was probably a fair result if only for the fact that United probably had the clearer chances. Thought Prince looked a good bit of business. As for United's first half penalty, the only thing the ref got wrong was that he didn't book the ******* for diving. Thank God they didn't play Gauld from the start; that lad looks special.

Some of Gauld's moves near goal towards the end of the game were absolutely superb, while causing me almost to shit myself thinking we were going to lose another late goal. Brilliant skill though..have to admire the boy.

Just seen the GMS theatrics at the end again. Considering how pathetic an attempt it was to get ATS sent off and Collum was standing next to it, it was baffling how he didn't even book GMS.

To be fair ATS did stand on his foot, although he does go down like he's just been shot in the face...

Today we oused qualities we've been crying out for all season. Steely at the back with Mair. Solid in the tackle with Fraser and composure in the middle with Buaben. Bannigan and ATS also tireless down the left.

Still there were signs of Balatoni's lack of awareness and O'Donnell's poor defending but overall much more promising.

Thought Elliott was absolutely rank rotten in the 1st half (as usual) but fair play, fantastic in the 2nd half.

If only we had Welsh and/or Osbourne available. I reckon Gary Fraser could easily play as a marauding central midfielder.

Very pleased with Archie's ins and outs. Glad he's accepted that we needed to freshen up in certain areas.

I have high hopes for a home win on the 22nd.

Edited by brodieboy

Sick of saying it but it is justified today as it has been most weeks at home, we deserved to win but just can't take the chances when they come.

They had one took it and it was uphill from there, credit to the boys they stuck at it and got the break they needed and deserved.

On the positive side Prince after the first 20 looked like a good addition and we are starting to get the benefit from Mairs experience at the back.

The management team showed signs of working this league and the key players out, anyone surprised at Elliot's inclusion should look no further than Robertson as the reason.

Downside is Taylor how quickly has he regressed in the last three weeks, hope it's fatigue but if it's not we need to get Doolan back in or get the midfield closer to him as he isn't holding anything up at the moment.

Hate DUFC's approach to the game they clearly set out to cheat the ref at every turn which is sad and an appalling way to approach the game.

I love Christie. If you'd told me two years ago that we'd be playing premier league and he'd be getting a start I'd have laughed. He's seizing the opportunity he's been given with everything he has and he's making himself valuable at a level that I thought was beyond him. Full credit. I feel that his future is tied to Thistle's and whatever league we end up in I'd be delighted to see him as a Jags player for a long time.

• Like 1

Good game as we looked doomed until the Fraser deflection. A lot of bluster and crosses but poor stuff up front but I have to say I feel sorry for Taylor as the service is woeful!!!

McKay Steven though undoubtley talented is a disgrace. Is your ankle sore son for the push on ur shoulder? Dick. Gauld however is some player, a wee messi, scary stuff.

A good point I think, I just wish someone had of halved Paton! He's as hard as ma boaby after ten pints the tube.

A manic game. Our formation in the first half wasn't working. I think the idea was to play Prince and Bannigan in more advanced positions to a) press high up the pitch; and b ) make up for the absence of a dedicated no.10. Unfortunately it left Fraser exposed. In the second half we moved to our standard 4-2-3-1 with Bannigan playing next to Fraser and Prince moving closer to Taylor. This made us more solid and was clearly more familiar to the players.

When Doolan came on we changed to a mangled 4-4-2, as we didn't have anyone playing on the left. Bannigan scarpered over occasionally to cover but ATS had the wing largely to himself. It was an exciting, gung-ho approach but Utd really should have picked us off on the break. I'll say it again: if we play like this from the start of a game we'll get a horsing.

The most disappointing aspect of the last few weeks is the way we've ditched our passing game. I'm not sure if this is a conscious tactic or the unintentional consequence of having a dedicated target man. Again, in the first half the pointlessness of the long-ball game was there for everyone to see.

Positives: Fraser had a good game, as did ATS. I'd be tempted to give Taylor a rest next week, as Doolan looked sharp when he came on.

A crazy game. A point each was probably a fair outcome.

Edited by Stewarty

A manic game. Our formation in the first half wasn't working. I think the idea was to play Prince and Bannigan in more advanced positions to a) press high up the pitch; and b ) make up for the absence of a dedicated no.10. Unfortunately it left Fraser exposed. In the second half we moved to our standard 4-2-3-1 with Bannigan playing next to Fraser and Prince moving closer to Taylor. This made us more solid and was clearly more familiar to the players.

When Doolan came on we changed to a mangled 4-4-2, as we didn't have anyone playing on the left. Bannigan scarpered over occasionally to cover but ATS had the wing largely to himself. It was an exciting, gung-ho approach but Utd really should have picked us off on the break. I'll say it again: if we play like this from the start of a game we'll get a horsing.

The most disappointing aspect of the last few weeks is the way we've ditched our passing game. I'm not sure if this is a conscious tactic or the unintentional consequence of having a dedicated target man. Again, in the first half the pointlessness of the long-ball game was there for everyone to see.

Positives: Fraser had a good game, as did ATS. I'd be tempted to give Taylor a rest next week, as Doolan looked sharp when he came on.

A crazy game. A point each was probably a fair outcome.

Looked more 4-1-4-1 to me before doolan came on then we went 4-1-3-2 with Fraser sitting but no matter the second half was significantly better than the first in terms of ball retention and we deserved that point.

I thought it was an entertaining match, although I expected more from DUFC than a bunch of wee niggly fouls and shoves, play acting and negativity. For us, I thought Fraser and Bannigan were our best players on the park, plus a special mention for Gallacher who pulled off some great saves today and surely cements his place in goal for the foreseeable future. Downsides - why do we pass the ball so hard at times and at a daft height instead of to feet and not drilled in? Often the player receiving the ball took a while to control it or lost it altogether. The Balatoni pass to Taylor is exactly what the boy needs - not a high ball in to him with his back at goal. Agree with comments about Dools. Thought we played better when he came on and surely that's the tactic to go with for next few games. But all in all, enjoyable game, played well and a point was the least we expected.

P.S. - what did Paton shout at the North Stand?

I was very downbeat at the start - Elliot starting, more players I like on the substitutes bench than in the side, that god-awful Aye-de-o song and then Gallagher punting long balls to nobody at every opportunity...but gradually I got out of full-on grump mode and enjoyed the game. It was not our most fluent performance but we had them rattled in the second half and were well worth a draw.

Mair is a solid journeyman pro...just what we needed at the back. Balatoni has looked a bit better though always threatens to make a blunder...and I wish he would either bring the ball down or head it powerfully clear - too often he mistimes his jump and lobs up headers which are easy for the opposition to pick up.

United's goal was brilliantly created but the positioning of McMillan and Elliot was not great...and McMillan was fortunate not to concede a penalty when he was caught out again. If we could get Stephen O'Donnell out of his current daze, he would be my preferred choice in either of their roles...and has he been instructed never to take his man on?

Bauben was a tidy player but he didn't look as if he had the creative touch to play such an advanced midfield role. I'm not sure that Taylor looks markedly better than Doolan.

The side was better balanced today and although I can't quite settle on what is our strongest lineup, It's encouraging that we have genuine options.

ATS had another good match, Fraser is a promising player and Bannigan was excellent other than the daft booking.

Thought Doolan looked really sharp when he came on.

Taylor was excellent but he kept having to come deeper and deeper to get the ball. To be fair to the big man he did really well but we didn't get the ball to him in the final third anywhere near often enough. In saying that it was a real sitter he missed in the first half.

As for Paton...

roflbot.jpg

• Like 2

I wasn't that fussed about Paton leaving and yesterday proved why. Every time he got the ball he seemed to just aimlessly punt it as hard as he could the way he was facing.

Decent enough ball winner but he really fancies himself as a midfield hard man. Not much of a hard man mind you if he's greeting after clashing with James Craigen.

Think we've replaced him with better.

He had a few unsavoury gestures to the Jags fans but considering some of the stuff being shouted/sung at him then it was fair game.

As for United, they look half the team they were. Started to belief their hype too much it seems.

Don't see the fuss with Souttar although Robertson looks a decent prospect.