Just On...

clarencegarter

We know Tam to be a decent honest guy and have no reason to disbelieve him. There is no need for your comments tonight and it won't be tollerated. Tam gives up his time to provide live updates, match previews, reports etc. for all of us and they are always high quality and very quickly available on the OS.

We understand that there is a lot of anger about the situation at the moment but that doesn't give anyone the right to take it out on staff who are just doing their job.

Any more of this nonsense and it will simply just be deleted.

Cheers

Sorry Admin I dont normally disagree with the way the forum is run but on this occasion I feel I have to say something. Someone has posted a rumour on this forum which so far hasn't been witnessed by anybody else who was at the game. I understand that you know Tom and trust him but the fact remains that it is still an unsubstantiated rumour. The fact that Tom works for the club and gives up his time does not in my opinion give his posts any more validity than any other fan.

His main point in my opinion wasn't the fact that this incident happened but he wondered if the fans who complained about Mr Paton would be as upset about this incident.

For the record I am not disbeliveing Toms story but I feel that questions have the right to be asked regarding the incident and that is what's happened on this thread

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Sorry Admin I dont normally disagree with the way the forum is run but on this occasion I feel I have to say something. Someone has posted a rumour on this forum which so far hasn't been witnessed by anybody else who was at the game. I understand that you know Tom and trust him but the fact remains that it is still an unsubstantiated rumour. The fact that Tom works for the club and gives up his time does not in my opinion give his posts any more validity than any other fan.

His main point in my opinion wasn't the fact that this incident happened but he wondered if the fans who complained about Mr Paton would be as upset about this incident.

For the record I am not disbeliveing Toms story but I feel that questions have the right to be asked regarding the incident and that is what's happened on this thread

Fair enough, I can see your point about this just being a rumour at the moment. I just think there was a nicer way to put it. Like you just have, rather than accuse Tom of being a serial liar.

I take your point though and the one thing we have tried to do on this forum is allow "free speech". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Cheers

Fair enough, I can see your point about this just being a rumour at the moment. I just think there was a nicer way to put it. Like you just have, rather than accuse Tom of being a serial liar.

I take your point though and the one thing we have tried to do on this forum is allow "free speech". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Cheers

Except me it seems !

Except me it seems !

Of course you are. There was nothing wrong with waiting for more evidence, however the moderating and admin team are users of the forum just like everyone else, and all it takes is to misread a post and take it the wrong way. You did however insinuate that Tom was making something up as a member of club staff attempting to deflect from the performance of the team today, which isn't a very fair comment to make.

As has been said many times tonight, it's all a bit heated, and that affects the admin/moderating team too, but let's all take a deep breath.

So, have any arrests been made over this spitting incident? Will there be any legal proceedings started? Anyone know?

Spitting on someone is an assault. There may as well have been a punch. Had there been a punch witnessed I very much doubt there'd be questions about the reliability of the witness or his connection with the club. That's how it seems to go.

Tom has simply stated that he saw a player receiving some verbal abuse and some spit flying in their direction too. The point I think he was making here is that, no matter how upset we feel at a particular result, nothing can justify us losing sight of our humanity and empathy towards other human beings (even ones we profess to support) and attacking them in this way. Yes we can all gripe and moan, but as individuals and as a general support we will have sunk very low to resort to such neanderthal ways or complicitly to turn a blind eye to it. Tom is not turning a blind eye to it. That is the point. Whilst rumours shouldn't be tolerated, Tom is not accusing any particular person nor should he need to provide legal evidence in this case to assert his (and my own) belief that we as fans need to keep the heid on some days and remember that no-one doing any kind of job deserves that level of abuse or intimidation. Does he need to know the name of the person he saw? No. Should he report them to the police? I think we all need to calm down here eh?

I'd like to think I could come on this forum and state that that I was unhappy with the conduct of some fans, without needing to prove what I saw. If I was making a complaint to the police about a specific individual that might be different. Take it as I imagine Tom intended, as an appeal to all of us to retain some basic level of respect to other people no matter how upset we are. If we can't state things like that as supporters, then Firhill really should just be razed to the ground.

As I came out of the toilet after the game, my wife said that several fans were talking about an older Thistle fan shouting abuse at the players entering the tunnel and spitting at them. I think it may have been Cowdenbeath fans that witnessed this.

Why The Big Man thinks he is so "big" that he feels it necessary to question Tom's integrity in the manner he did is beyond me...... :mad2:

Tom has simply stated that he saw a player receiving some verbal abuse and some spit flying in their direction too. The point I think he was making here is that, no matter how upset we feel at a particular result, nothing can justify us losing sight of our humanity and empathy towards other human beings (even ones we profess to support) and attacking them in this way. Yes we can all gripe and moan, but as individuals and as a general support we will have sunk very low to resort to such neanderthal ways or complicitly to turn a blind eye to it. Tom is not turning a blind eye to it. That is the point. Whilst rumours shouldn't be tolerated, Tom is not accusing any particular person nor should he need to provide legal evidence in this case to assert his (and my own) belief that we as fans need to keep the heid on some days and remember that no-one doing any kind of job deserves that level of abuse or intimidation. Does he need to know the name of the person he saw? No. Should he report them to the police? I think we all need to calm down here eh?

I'd like to think I could come on this forum and state that that I was unhappy with the conduct of some fans, without needing to prove what I saw. If I was making a complaint to the police about a specific individual that might be different. Take it as I imagine Tom intended, as an appeal to all of us to retain some basic level of respect to other people no matter how upset we are. If we can't state things like that as supporters, then Firhill really should just be razed to the ground.

well said :thumbsup2:

an, unnamed, Thistle player being spat upon at the full-time whistle today and another Thistle employee being told "hope you suffer a stroke"

Completely unacceptable, whatever the provocation.

The very minimum reaction should be that if the Club can identify the culprit I hope he is banned. Would any of us accept such treatment in our workplace ?

Completely unacceptable, whatever the provocation.

The very minimum reaction should be that if the Club can identify the culprit I hope he is banned. Would any of us accept such treatment in our workplace ?

Given the financial state of the club, the last thing the board will want is to start banning supporters!!!

Booooo!! to this thread.

I don't particularly agree with the Big Mans style of posting in the thread, but he's being unfairly victimised for it.

His posting style could be described as 'mildly aggresive' at worst, but every point made valid, considering the sarcastic/know it all/i'm brave behind a keyboard comments that appear here on a daily basis.

Having said that, equally fair that other jags fans have a pop back at him for his posts and equally fair he gets to respond ,but admin intervention? geez peace, looks more like a chance to have a pop at someone you don't particularly like.

Booooo!! to this thread.

I don't particularly agree with the Big Mans style of posting in the thread, but he's being unfairly victimised for it.

His posting style could be described as 'mildly aggresive' at worst, but every point made valid, considering the sarcastic/know it all/i'm brave behind a keyboard comments that appear here on a daily basis.

Having said that, equally fair that other jags fans have a pop back at him for his posts and equally fair he gets to respond ,but admin intervention? geez peace, looks more like a chance to have a pop at someone you don't particularly like.

It was a Saturday night, tempers were justifiably heightened, who knows maybe drink fueled. Admin may have felt intervening before the thread degenerated further was advisable. The Big Man got the brunt of it but in reality admin's action was probably in anticipation of the usual suspects (our keyboard warriers for want of a better description) getting involved.

Booooo!! to this thread.

Or because someone is behaving like a fool.

Its very sad from reading this forum and attending games that many, many Thistle fans are eejits.

It was a Saturday night, tempers were justifiably heightened, who knows maybe drink fueled. Admin may have felt intervening before the thread degenerated further was advisable. The Big Man got the brunt of it but in reality admin's action was probably in anticipation of the usual suspects (our keyboard warriers for want of a better description) getting involved.

I suppose,depends on how you look at it, fair point all the same.

Or because someone is behaving like a fool.

No more a fool than the little pip squeaks that leave their idiotic snipes on a daily basis without a thought, that's nothing more than opinion,my opinion, just like it seemed admin was expressing their personal opinion, rather than executing fair moderation, it's their forum though and allowed to run it as they see fit, that advocates an all pals culture and clique-esque forum and not a fair/welcoming forum which they publicly promote it as.

Its very sad from reading this forum and attending games that many, many Thistle fans are eejits.

No arguements there,it's always been like that in my 20 years of following the jags, hardly surprising though as we're just a section of the general public that happen to gather in the same place for the same reason regularly, and the general public is full of eejits too.

• Administrators

Booooo!! to this thread.

I take the point about unfairly victimising the big man, and that wasn't my intention. The post made wasn't just directed at the big man and I should have made that clear. We just think that with the recent results there has been a lot of anger. But that has resulted in a lot of abuse towards staff and players and even other forum members. We all support the same team and would rather members could disagree without personal insults etc. The main problem we had with this post was that Tom was being accused of making up stories on a regular basis and this particular story was intended to deflect from a bad result.

Not sure where you get the impression we don't like the big man as we have never had any problems with him. We just feel that on this occasion the rumour could have been questioned without the accusations.

Cheers

I take the point about unfairly victimising the big man, and that wasn't my intention. The post made wasn't just directed at the big man and I should have made that clear. We just think that with the recent results there has been a lot of anger. But that has resulted in a lot of abuse towards staff and players and even other forum members. We all support the same team and would rather members could disagree without personal insults etc. The main problem we had with this post was that Tom was being accused of making up stories on a regular basis and this particular story was intended to deflect from a bad result.

Not sure where you get the impression we don't like the big man as we have never had any problems with him. We just feel that on this occasion the rumour could have been questioned without the accusations.

Cheers

Fair doos, on that note though, The Big Man's 'accusation' was no more or less unsubstantiated than the initial claim of spitting.

Edit- just to be clear, I have no reason to defend anyones posts or claims, other than my own right to being able to speak freely now and in the future.

Edited by Hot Shot

Well did anyone see this alleged spitting incident or not?

I wasn't at the game so can't comment but find it strange that no-one has properly backed up this story.

Personally with the exception of yesterdays game I think the supporters have let the board,manager & club off lightly. It's getting that I hate most of the presonnel at the club with a few noticable exceptions such as JJ. I myself have never felt so angry since the early 80's not even under Dick Campbell. The one thing that should however be stressed is that the manager & players may have changed but that board have presided under all of the shite appointments & it is they who are ultiamately esponsible - Funny that a few of these individuals will probably make more money from the club if it fails than succeeds.

• Administrators

Fair doos, on that note though, The Big Man's 'accusation' was no more or less unsubstantiated than the initial claim of spitting.

Edit- just to be clear, I have no reason to defend anyones posts or claims, other than my own right to being able to speak freely now and in the future.

Fair enough, I know what you are saying but the accusation was made as if it was common knowledge that stories get made up all the time. We have always tried to allow free speech on this forum but that is certainly not common knowledge. There is no "clique" whatsoever on this forum and nobody receives preferential treatment. We value each members contribution to the forum equally. No member on this forum is better than another, and that includes the admin and mod team.

Cheers

Well did anyone see this alleged spitting incident or not?

I wasn't at the game so can't comment but find it strange that no-one has properly backed up this story.

Personally with the exception of yesterdays game I think the supporters have let the board,manager & club off lightly. It's getting that I hate most of the presonnel at the club with a few noticable exceptions such as JJ. I myself have never felt so angry since the early 80's not even under Dick Campbell. The one thing that should however be stressed is that the manager & players may have changed but that board have presided under all of the shite appointments & it is they who are ultiamately esponsible - Funny that a few of these individuals will probably make more money from the club if it fails than succeeds.

Why is that strange? Perhaps the other folk who witnessed the incident don't use this forum.

Edited by McKennan