Kris Commons

Metz

Just read an article by John Hartson calling for Kris Commons to go back to the Scotland squad. I am just about as big a National team fan as I am the Jags and have to admit that in the last 15 years or so to think mediocre English talent like Commons and Morrison got anywhere near the squad never mind the team ripped my heart out, to think that they could pick and choose when they want to play would destroy it.

Now that things are looking up surely I am not alone in praying Strachans resists any temptation to tempt this a******e out of retirement?

• Like 1

I have no problem with English players playing. I'd prefer that it was a parent rule rather than grandparent, but whatever the rule is we should make the most of it. No point in handicapping ourselves. And I'm a fan of Morrison.

However no matter who it is I'm not keen on picking and choosing games, i'd rather a team that was fully committed and had Scotland up as a priority. And crucially, I don't think Commons gives us anything better than we already have.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with people born in England qualifying for Scotland, I have family in the same position who are as Scottish as I am. I have a problem with second or third rate talent who are perceived as better than Scots even when they dont even consider themselves as Scottish.

Would you put James Morrison in that category? He's been one of Scotland's better players in recent years, and has shown plenty of commitment, at least in terms of turning up regularly. I think it's important that all players who qualify should be judged on their merits regardless of where they're born. Shouldn't be treated as second class citizens who only get considered when there's not a good enough "Scottish" alternative.

Unfortunately if Commons was to make himself available, I reckon Strachan would pick him as he's a fan. Not sure it'd be popular with the fans though & could undo some of the good work Strachan put in place.

That said, maybe Strachan wise enough to know it might not be the best idea for team morale either for this guy to pick & choose when he wants to make himself available.

All hypothetical just now anyway.

I don't really have a problem with English born players with Scottish bloodline committing themselves to us- so long as they haven't played for England (or any other nation) at unders level.

Same applies to players who have got residency and are good enough and willing to play for us. If it's good enough for Portugal, Croatia, Belgium even Spain (Costa).

However players like the two lads at Southampton- Gallagher & can't recall other name- who've played for us in the under 19s but have refused call ups now they've played for the first team as they want to see if England come calling. They can go do one.

Shouldn't be any problem here as Strachan should just tell Commons to shove it. Maybe a bit more diplomacy called for from the manager in case Commons turns round and says "You're just doing that because I'm not really Scottish".

Not wanting to come over sounding like I'm being over nationalistic but it must stick in the craw somewhat when someone, who in all other walks of life doesn't consider himself Scottish, acts like this. Conversely when someone like Boyd or Weir throw the toys out you at least know they'll suffer a downside.

I personally don't like the idea that because some player knows he's unlikely to ever play for the country he's got by far the strongest links to opts to play for a country he's no real connection with. That to me is too much like club football and that's something international football should distance itself from. I suppose tho' that's idealistic rather than practical and the longer our national team is starved of even moderate success.the more "practical" we'll become. Changed days since Stein knocked back Barnes.

commons is a top player so I think he deserves another chance as we need all the help we can get in order to get to france.

However don't think he should walk straight into starting line-up he's got to earn his place back.

I agree with this and if he is fit, playing well and the manager wants to pick him then why shouldn't he play

Despite being on excellent form this season I don't see where he would fit into our starting line-up. There are a number of much better attacking midfield options ahead of him, I definitely wouldn't have him ahead of the likes of Maloney or Morrison or Naismith. The only place I could see for him is wide right, and even then I'd rather have someone like Matt Phillips, average though he is.

commons is a top player so I think he deserves another chance as we need all the help we can get in order to get to france.

However don't think he should walk straight into starting line-up he's got to earn his place back.

That could be a problem. Like too many players these days, he might think he has a right to be in the team, rather than earning his place.

Scotland teams should always be picked on merit.

If Commons is bang on form, then he is a huge asset and we are not at the stage where we can ignore players like this.

Agree entirely, it is unfortunate, but true, that Scotland can ill afford to those a player of Commons' quality. I have to admit he's hardly my favourite player, due in particular to his propensity to fall down when a) apparently sober :) or subject to a vigorous manly challenge (ooh-err missus!).

However, at the present time he would be my pick for player of the year and is probably on his day the best player plying his trade in Scotland with the obvious exception of Lee McCulloch.

Edited by stillresigned