Close Season Quiz 2014

partickthedog

Those who have appeared for the Jags and been in World Cup squads (mostly before they were Jags):

Alan Rough, David Harvey, Jim Stewart, Alan Hansen, Mo Johnston, Robert Fleck, Jackie McNamara, Simon Donnelly, Derek Whyte, Derek Johnstone, Peter Cormack, Murdo MacLeod, Jimmy Davidson and Johnny Mackenzie.

Anyone else?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who have appeared for the Jags and been in World Cup squads (mostly before they were Jags):

Alan Rough, David Harvey, Jim Stewart, Alan Hansen, Mo Johnston, Robert Fleck, Jackie McNamara, Simon Donnelly, Derek Whyte, Derek Johnstone, Peter Cormack, Murdo MacLeod, Jimmy Davidson and Johnny Mackenzie.

Anyone else?

Alex Forsyth?

No Erich Schaedler was picked over him. Maybe it was his connection to Germany, as his father was a German P.O.W. or his playing for Hibs where Willie Ormond was once one of the Famous Five that got him the nod. However. Alex did feature in the Barratt Candy sticks World Cup set that year although it's not much of a consolation. Of course Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine were the first picks that year.

Edited by The Sunnylaw Jag

he 74 squad?

Anyone else?

Did Colin Jackson make the 74 squad? I know he was in Scotland squads around that time. I'm trying to picture my Tennent's Squad framed photo from then!! :lol: :lol:

Further to that does anyone remember when the Glaswegian ran a story for weeks that we were going to sign two Cameroon players? How close did we come to that?

This was in the early 1990's. Stephen Tataw was one of the Cameroon players, can't remember the other one. I believe we had actually signed both but needed work permits which we failed to get as the h*ns were given the last two available permits for Alexi Mikhailichenko and Oleg Kuznetsov....without even having signed either at that point. I believe there were only about a dozen works permits available to Scottish clubs at that time.

This was in the early 1990's. Stephen Tataw was one of the Cameroon players, can't remember the other one. I believe we had actually signed both but needed work permits which we failed to get as the h*ns were given the last two available permits for Alexi Mikhailichenko and Oleg Kuznetsov....without even having signed either at that point. I believe there were only about a dozen works permits available to Scottish clubs at that time.

We were also after an American internationalist around that time. Anyone remember who it was?

The other name was Thomas Libih (sp?) and as was pointed out there was not enough permits available to register them - deals had been agreed

Talking about Americans does anyone remember there was an American goalkeeper that came to Firhill and showed us his throw in technique that included a somersault and he launched half the length of the pitch? Or did I dream that?

Were you eating a giant marshmallow at the time?