Berwick Game

B.C.G. JAG

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might have been another poor performance but on a night where 3 first division sides have lost to lower league opposition then it just goes to show you that you can take nothing for granted. We're still in the cup Dundee Stirling and Cowdenbeath are not :fan::cheers:

Oh and we have still never lost to Berwick :thumbsup2:

Edited by Camallain

Yeah big time worried about this. Chis and Harkins will have them well fired up for the game. Had a quick peek at the Dundee fans forum and quite a few were saying the Stenny pitch was in a terrible state and a factor in their defeat tonight.

Can someone nip in and dig up Firhill on Friday night, please?

Yeah big time worried about this. Chis and Harkins will have them well fired up for the game. Had a quick peek at the Dundee fans forum and quite a few were saying the Stenny pitch was in a terrible state and a factor in their defeat tonight.

Balls. A team that's spent as much as Dundee should be able to at least scrape past Stenny, not lose to them by 3 goals. Imagine if McCall had come out on Saturday after the match and said that the pitch at Starks was terrible - we'd have been really understanding and believed it 100%.

Its a plastic pitch, just sounds like sour grapes to me lol

Balls. A team that's spent as much as Dundee should be able to at least scrape past Stenny, not lose to them by 3 goals. Imagine if McCall had come out on Saturday after the match and said that the pitch at Starks was terrible - we'd have been really understanding and believed it 100%.

Yeah I agree with what your saying, I was only stating what Dees fans were complaining about, as you say probably a good dose of soor grapes in there as well.

Hard work, but a deserved victory. First half was poor. We had the right ideas, but a lot of individual errors (mainly of judgement) was our undoing. Berwick goal a shambolic attempt at defending an (admittedly good) corner. I missed the Cairney goal as I was getting a pie, but apparently it was a wee bit lucky with a deflection. Rowson's goal was a peach when a Paton ball in was dummied by Grehan and an onrushing juggernaut slammed it home.

Berwick didn't offer much other than occasional counter in first half and then 5 minutes from the end, and we would have been made to pay for the chances we failed to take by a better team, but there is reason to be content.

Flannigan's good deliveries made us threatening at corners. Balatoni and Rowson both had decent headed efforts miss very narrowly.

Boyle had a good game, getting forward a lot and being defensively sound. Not really that much in the shadows of a Mr Twaddle in his time :thinking:

Wasn't particularly impressed by Buchanan. Had a few reasonable runs and touches, but as many bad ones as well.

Balatoni looks solid if unspectacular and a good threat from corners.

In absolute total fairness to Bunter and the squad, I felt we never looked like losing this one. Even when we went 1 down, there was a buzz of frustration, but no real panic. Apart from their keeper and their number 4, they were thoroughly inept – without those two players they would have been on the end of a 6- or 7-1 hammering easily – and I’m no happy clapper. We were a bit slow off the mark, conceded a scrambled goal, but once we got our sleeves rolled up I thought it was men against boys.

We completely dominated the game after 1-1, played some very good football, and all of the starting eleven played well I thought. They hardly won a single ball in the air – Balatoni and Robbo solid there (perhaps not so clever on the deck at times!) – and they played with one man up for the whole of the second half.

Good performances all round – not a single criticism of the team or of individuals: Boyle, despite a couple of bad passes, a thoroughly different man from last season; Paton pretty solid – just wish he would take his man on more; great to see Cairney and Rowson scoring; Grehan worked hard; Balatoni good at corners. In truth what you’d expect – and ought to expect against a lower league side.

Quite how Dundee will re-act to their hammering remains to be seen – frankly I’d rather they had won 4-1 tonight, but in the meantime football's about singing when you're winning and enjoying the discomfiture of your rivals so .....let’s all laugh at Dundee! Nearly bust, pumped by part timers, and greetin' about the state of the pitch, ... GIRUY ‘Captain’ Harkins!

At least until 1650 on Saturday.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

Very comfortable win. I was only concerned with the amount of chances we were missing. I counted 4 gilt edged chances that we missed in the first half alone. Buchannan's finishing is appauling these days.

Plus points were the performances of Flanninan, Rowser and Cairney. Flannanan looks like a decent player, one who can actually cross a ball.

Minus points, I thought Grehan was a total nightmare. He doesn't even look like a footballer. Our defending of set pieces would have been more heavily punished by better opposition.

Very comfortable win. I was only concerned with the amount of chances we were missing. I counted 4 gilt edged chances that we missed in the first half alone. Buchannan's finishing is appauling these days.

Plus points were the performances of Flanninan, Rowser and Cairney. Flannanan looks like a decent player, one who can actually cross a ball.

Minus points, I thought Grehan was a total nightmare. He doesn't even look like a footballer. Our defending of set pieces would have been more heavily punished by better opposition.

Unfortunately have to agree. Why the feck do we keep finding "big" centre forwards who either can't or won't jump for a ball?

Couldn't believe he lasted the full 90.

Best players for me were Cairney, who fought for everything all night, and Paddy Boyle. The rest were ok - no better.

Have to disagree, and reluctant to criticise anyone when we win so easily - let's face it 2-1 flattered them enormously - thought he contributed more than Bucky who looks as if he still needs a few games to get sharp. Didn't like Bucky's gestures when Grehan put a through ball to him which the former couldn't or didn't control. Hope it's just frustration.

Edited to say that the Earl beat me to the punch with that one.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

Have to disagree, and reluctant to criticise anyone when we win so easily - let's face it 2-1 flattered them enormously - thought he contributed more than Bucky who looks as if he still needs a few games to get sharp. Didn't like Bucky's gestures when Grehan put a through ball to him which the former couldn't or didn't control. Hope it's just frustration.

Both contributed very little, verging on nothing. Easier to say Grehan had the worst of it, though, as he saw most of the ball. In saying that, he didn't squander the chances Liam did.

The most telling contribution 'The Difference' made all night was to stand aside for Rowson to crack home the winner.

If things didnt work out with Bryn Halliwell and Im hoping saturday was just one bad game for him I think we could do a lot worse than this Ian McCaldon the Berwick goalkeeper though i guess if it meant having to pay Berwick a fee then we woul dhave to forget it giving our finances.

The guy's 36-years-old and hitting the downward stage of his career arc.

I'm pleased Ian McCall has said that this result doesnt even come close to making up for Saturday, I respect his honesty, and hope this result might give us the confidence to shoot down an, all but despondent Dundee side after tonight's remarkable revelations at the hand of Stenny, didn't see that one coming.

Boyle looked decent again, although he was rarely challenged, Balatoni had another decent game. Paton was hopeless as per, he is an average defender if he stays where he is supposed to stay...IN DEFENCE. But his mazey runs and poor final ball let him down.

Cairney and Rowson had good games, as did Erskine when he came on, I was also impressed by Flannigan, much improved from Saturday.

I am so relieved that we started with grehan tonight, although admittedly he didn't have an amazing game, but he offered a bit of height at least. Buchanan had a stinker, and I think to many injuries to early in his career has finished him off, he was off the pace and his finishing was woeful, I can only hope that he proves me wrong, otherwise I don't see where the goals are going to come from this season.

All in all a good nights work, Berwick set themselves up to be hard to beat, however I fear if we don't take these opportunities against the "bigger" teams, we will be punished. But lets see how Saturday goes, hopefully things are on the up.

C'mon the Jags