Berwick Game

B.C.G. JAG

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our winner came from his cross, you know.

I don't dislike Paton but about 4 or 5 out of 10 of balls into the box are decent, IF there happens to be someone on the end,I say IF because only once or twice out of ten does he actually look up and deliver to the spot he picks out, I actually think he did look before that one for a change but credit IMO goes to the lovely dummy and Rowsons sharpness in reading or shouting for the dummy.

With the usual caveat that I'm a tactical diddy who needs specs..... Paton should be dropped pronto. Why McCall doesn't sort him out beats me. Even if he's allowed on the pitch he should be totally BANNED from going over the half way line. A few games out may do him some good. Another gripe is what the flaming Nora did they think they were doing for the best part of five minutes at the end. Your supposed to keep the ball and try and run down the clock. Get it sorted McCall, even schoolboys know what do when extra time is threatening. On the plus side, Grehan, Balatoni (sp?) and Flannigan all looked handy, especially Grehan. Rowson's goal was a cracker, and for once I might actually look at the highlights when they're up.

Our winner came from his cross, you know.

That was no skill. It was simply mathematics, the Law of Averages dictates that after 300 crap crosses, at least one has to go into the net...thats all it was. And following that same theory, I predict that Paton will next have an assist on the 10th Aug 2013. :thumbsup2:

Wasn't particularly impressed by Buchanan. Had a few reasonable runs and touches, but as many bad ones as well.

Buchannan's finishing is appauling these days.

Didn't like Bucky's gestures when Grehan put a through ball to him which the former couldn't or didn't control

...Easier to say Grehan had the worst of it, though, as he saw most of the ball. In saying that, he didn't squander the chances Liam did.

Liam- :thumbdown: useless and went in a huff in the dugout when he was hooked

... three excellent chances on a plate for Buchanan tonight, none of which were converted.

...Buchanan had a stinker...

Sorry 'bout the excessive use of multiquote, but, yeh: what they said.

Liam could be a good 1st division player, maybe even a lot more. But it really is finger out of erse time. His finishing was disappointing, but sh!t happens: much more worrying is his attitude. Not good enough, fella.

Very disappointed MacBeth wasn't even in the squad. A positive factor in me renewing my season ticket was to see the young players get a chance. I didn't think he merited being dropped from the starting XI against Raith. These are the type of games where at least they should be given a chance.

I'd play him over Hodge everytime and if Cairney is off form, have him replace him.

Same with McGeogh with Paton.

I hope they get their chance.

Good result and an improved performance from previous games, especially in 2nd half against a team who clearly came to sit with 11 men in their own half and break or threaten from set pieces. For once this year, I was not too concerned when we conceded and good to see that thistle heads did not go down after their goal.

Could these be the green shoots of recovery?

I thought everyone played adequately with the exceptions of Boyle who I thought had his best game I've seen and the strikers, who were rotten. Liked the look of Flannigans deliveries too.

We were in total control of this one, and wasn't even (that) worried when we went one down. Liam should have had 3 by half time, but could have had five, only working the goalie once really isnt good enough.

Sorry 'bout the excessive use of multiquote, but, yeh: what they said.

Liam could be a good 1st division player, maybe even a lot more. But it really is finger out of erse time. His finishing was disappointing, but sh!t happens: much more worrying is his attitude. Not good enough, fella.

A big difference (between this win and last season's more convincing win over Berwick) is Liam's form - fitness, confidence, attitude, whatever. He hasn't

kicked a ball this season, and I include the one that trundled over the Clyde

goalline!

Very disappointed MacBeth wasn't even in the squad.

I might have agreed had the midfield had a stinker, but thought the four we started with performed well. I reckon Hodge's presence on the squad is necessary due to Archie's absence. Who would fill in at left back should Boyle pick up an injury?

Last night was my first game of the season but vant believe the criticism of Buchanan. I think a lot of it is OTT. He's missed large parts of the last couple of seasons with injuries and, not so long ago, folk in this forum were saying he's too slow, lost the half yard of pace etc.

To be honest he didn't have the best of games in terms of finishing last night but which other player in the squad would have got into the positions to even have the opportunity to have the chances?

I agree that frustration was evident when he was subbed but the other way of looking at it is that it shows he cares. Was he disappointed to be subbed? Disappointed with his own performance? The only person who can tell you truthfully why he was disappointed is Liam so why speculate that it was his attitude if you don't know?

Give him a few weeks and if he's still getting into hre same positions as last night in other games, i'm willing to wager that at least one of them will hit the back of the net.

Aside from that we looked a better team in the 2nd half. We kept the ball down, moved it quicker with more purpose and played far less aimless high balls. Boyle and Paton also got into more forward positions to get the width that was required in the system we were playing.

Thought it helped Grehan also. He won his fair share of flick ons and showed good body strength on occasions. My biggest concern would be how knackered he looked in the last 10 minutes of the game but certainly improvement from the player I saw last season.

Edited by Trotter

I'm flabbergasted by those who thought Grehan had a good game. No first touch, no pace and doesn't maximise his one glaring attribute - his height. Last night's performance was Jim Hamilton-esque.

Only real difference was Grehan playing for 90 mins. Hamilton usually only had half an hour to stamp his non influence on a game. I reckon Grehan will be best used like Hamilton late in a game and may be just a bit more effective. Not very encouraging so far, i agree.

To be honest he didn't have the best of games in terms of finishing last night but which other player in the squad would have got into the positions to even have the opportunity to have the chances?

That used to be the mitigating excuse for Liam when he'd have four or five great opportunities and bag one. Now he isn't even doing that.

I'm assuming that Buchy was hooked due to fitness reasons. Didn't like his gesture to Grehan and thought his 7 (?) yards miss was a shocker. Hope it was fitness/sharpness. Grehan's not the worst when you consider some of the donkeys we have had in our front pairing in recent seasons: Hammy the (fat) hamster, Paul (Oh I've fallen over again) Keegan, and I wont even mention the two Stephs (McC & Bonnes. Grehan certainly looks more convincing than Doolan who I think frankly wont make it even at this lowly level.

Erskine always looks dangerous to me and tracks back better than most wingers - perhaps he and the improved Boyle could form a combination on the left.

Quite significant that we won this easily (eventually) without the bonbscare or backwards on the park - wonder if Bunter was reading this forum after Saturday.

Erskine always looks dangerous to me

I think big Chris looks a danger to himself. I can't understand how the lad can do the hard things, but fluff the easier aspects of the game.

His final ball continues to be terrible. Like Paton's reluctance to use his left foot, I wonder if this is indicative of poor coaching.

I'm flabbergasted by those who thought Grehan had a good game. No first touch, no pace and doesn't maximise his one glaring attribute - his height. Last night's performance was Jim Hamilton-esque.

In fairness to him, he was a lot better in 2nd half (as were the whole team) and everytime he got the ball their number 4 was fouling him here, there and everwhere. Ref was a joke last night IMO.

Calm your pants. There's one occasion where I can remember him nudging Greehan, but they were as bad as each other. The 'big' man has to be able to stand up to the physical rigours of the game.

I meant on other occasions, not just refering to Grehan, but should have made that clear.

I thought the ref missed a blatant hand-ball outside the box by their keeper, and was surprised the linesman didn't pick up on it either.

I couldn't have been that blatant, then, especially since you're the only one who seems to have picked up on it. I don't think the ref merits criticism.