Oops Not Looking Good For Celtic

jaggybunnet

Don't really know if we can read too much into deila's ability from this, yes it's a bad result but he's at the start of his reign trying to implement a new style of play and make his mark on the team with younger players, which I suppose has to be respected in a way, Lennon never bothered his arse trying to actually play football or develop youth except in a few nothing games. I think that when he's settled in and got the team the way he wants it, Celtic will be a very good side. I could be completely wrong of course, and if I am I'll take great pleasure from them being shit, but I think he'll work out well.

He will need a season to make it his team, will he be given it? Especially if out Europe and if a strong challenge from Aberdeen or Dundee UTD at the start leaves them trailing. If Celtic aren't comfortably beating teams and walking the league by November expect the hatchets to be out and Ratnanarra floating about Celtic way with a cv under his arm

Don't really know if we can read too much into deila's ability from this, yes it's a bad result but he's at the start of his reign trying to implement a new style of play and make his mark on the team with younger players, which I suppose has to be respected in a way, Lennon never bothered his arse trying to actually play football or develop youth except in a few nothing games. I think that when he's settled in and got the team the way he wants it, Celtic will be a very good side. I could be completely wrong of course, and if I am I'll take great pleasure from them being shit, but I think he'll work out well.

The problem Celtic have is unlike everyone else they should conduct most of their personnel business in January. Daft having contracts expiring a month or so before they venture into European football. Also coming in at the January window would give any new players time to bed in.

Anyway not our problem.

The co-efficient stuff is really marginal in the grander scheme of things.

There are only three things that could meaningfully "boost" Scottish participation in European competition.

One is that we get awarded another place in the Champions' League Qualifiers, which we last had in 2011-12. This is only of interest to those who think they can finish 2nd or 3rd.

Another is that one of our three Europa places is an entry to the play-off round. We have never had an automatic qualifier for the group stages since they were introduced (unless you count teams falling out of the Champions' League as automatic qualifiers, in which case the first achievement above marginally improves our participation here. It may have changed, but I think our "best Europa" spot after the first two spots (1 Champions' League qualifier and 1 late Europa entry) in the league goes to the winner of the Scottish cup. That means a marginal "benefit" in that the winners of the Scottish Cup would likely only have to win one 2-leg tie to get to the group stages instead of 2, or as it is at the moment, 3.

And the other possible benefit is that we end up with a 5th Europa league space, which would go either to the team finishing 5th in the league or to the team finishing 4th in the league if someone else won the Scottish Cup.

So, a better co-efficient only advantages you if you think you are likely to finish 4th or 5th, or if you are already qualifying for competitions.

Whereas Clubs probably have money to think about, from a fan's perspective, entry to the latter play-offs is probably a secondary concern if you're only just qualifying for Europe in 4th or 5th. If anything, playing more games in Europe early on is likely to mean you can get a sniff of a win or two under your belt in pre-season rather than being knocked out straight away by some diddy team from Iceland (cough, Motherwell, cough). You're more likely to get European games when the weather is still nice, and if you do get punted, it's nothing ventured nothing gained as you'd have probably been gubbed even more in the next round.

Which is all a roundabout way of saying you're as well laughing at Celtic as even if we start competing for the European places it damned as near makes no difference.

See they are back on track yesterday. A mere 6-1 defeat to Spurs!

It was a bizarre mis-match. Celtic's team had lots of reserves and youngsters from the development squad. Tottenham picked a team with lots of internationalists from the Premier League squad.

Spurs' website lists the teams as.

Spurs (first half): Friedel, Naughton, Davies, Dawson (Fryers 19), Kaboul, Capoue, Mason, Holtby, Townsend, Kane, Soldado.

Spurs (second half): Friedel, Naughton (Fredericks 70), Kaboul, Fryers (Veljkovic 77), Rose, Capoue (Sandro 70), Bentaleb, Lennon, Lamela, Eriksen, Adebayor.

Celtic: Gordon, Herron, O'Connell, Ambrose, Twardzik, Lindsay, Irvine, Henderson, McGeouch, Pukki, McMullan. Subs: Fasan, Waters, McManus, McIlduff, Tierney, Balde, Fridjonsson.

The surprising thing for me was the fact that it was reported that the official away attendance in Warsaw was 160!! Where have all the zillions that went to Seville gone to. Be pretty confident that we would take more than that to any away game in Europe

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/celtic-fans-attacked-warsaw-separate-3939447

Edited by Lindau

Comedy gold from Celtic TV. Celtic down 1.0 tonight at half time. 1st commentator " It's going to be a tough call to score 4 in the second half" 2nd commentator " Yes but we've got to believe they can do it" Aye , right

Same old blues they sang at half time on the 23rd October 1971 when they were 4 down, and look how that one went.