Let Nostalgia Show Your Age

Roy Small came to mine. Roy for those who aren't familiar with the name was a sort of SFA employed/borrowed tactical guru who was the "professor of fitba" at Jordanhill College. He kinda begat Andy Roxburgh who begat Craig Brown if you get my drift.

His only memorable piece of advice was to tuck your shirts in.as you weren't Jim Baxter or Denis Law.

Mind watching a rangers third team playing Jordanhill College. Playing for the dark side that day was one Alex Ferguson. He was banished to the third team for either his notorious failure to mark Billy McNeil in a cup final defeat or for marrying a catholic. Maybe a combination of the two? .

1. The smell of pipe smoke in the main stand. Not often one smells a pipe these days but if I ever do I always think of Firhill.

2. The smell of the 'urinals' in the main stand. Vile.

3. The pocket of Jags fans that remained on the shed when the old firm came to Firhill. Most moved round to the enclosure at the main stand but I always admired the small band of red and yellow that stood their ground. I don't know if that always happened but it did when I first started going.

Edited by Jag
  • Like 1

Goal that never was - standing behind the goal at City End - Dundee Utd score - ball in the back of the net, Thistle player picks the ball out of the net, hands it to goalie who thumps it upfield. Referee waves play on - Paul Sturrock going mental on touchline.

Mentions of tenements being demolished reminds me of a story I heard from an uncle. Guy whose flat overlooked Firhill wrote to Glasgow Corporation asking for a reduction in rates because of the quality of football on show. Corporation allegedly wrote back saying that having checked their records, the poor quality football predated his purchase of the flat - so no refund - caveat emptor!

Going on the ptfc international supporters bus to see Scotland v Wales in late 70s. All the way to Swansea and back in one day. One guy had a flask of beans for sustenance !

The erskine supporters bus!

Being left outside the pewter pot with a packet of crisps n coke.

Bobby houstons non goal v h*ns in sc semi final

Sitting on a turnstile

Police horses!

"Going on the ptfc international supporters bus to see Scotland v Wales in late 70s. All the way to Swansea and back in one day. One guy had a flask of beans for sustenance ! "

Bloody hell DL1971!! Presumably it must have been a non-smoking bus, with plenty of comfort stops.

Fiction factory song always getting played

Watching the Airdrie fans coming in, on single file with the guy with the Mohican at the front.

You new it was a big game when there was someone outside selling scarfs and badges.

Going to the games with friends, but sadly some not with us anymore

The Killie fat boy

Fights in The Shed before the fence went up

Whistling Jack Smith playing as the teams came out

I also remember a song (or tune) that was played in the late 70's, early 80's when the teams came out but have no idea what it is called or who by. Early 70's recording I think.

Any help?

Memories of being a small boy in the early mid 1970's;

Those plastic footballs that used to kick about that were black & white and had all the teams names printed on them, used to kick about for years and were brick hard when burst, always had Third Lanark printed on them too.

Football cards with a pretty disgusting bit of cardboard chewing gum in them, even tasted dodgey as a kid, so must have been bad. Hibs being rated as a good team!

Football stickers (not pannini) that you had to lick the top of and put in your album, they were always falling out and had primitive "comedy" photo shopping of transferred players heads onto their new teams.

Striker, the football game where you had to whack the top of the players head to pass the ball, great fun but it got wrecked pretty quickly.

Happy Days

Dogging School with my class mates to see the Scottish Cup Tie replay against Hearts on a Tuesday afternoon at 2 pm due to the Power Cuts caused by the 1974 miners strike.

Got three of the belt the next day ( now that really is suffering for the Jags cause) - even worse the Registration Teacher who belted us - Mr Campbell was an Airdrie Fan

Proud to say the guys I bunked off with - Jim Mcvey ,George Corner,Alan Seivewright and Alan McCulloch are still at Firhill every home game.

Interested to hear from others who made the game that day and did they dog school bunk off work ?

As a matter of interest does anyone know what the crowd was that day ?

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

^ ^ I only have vague memories of that game, Jim. Yet strangely I remember another Tuesday (?) afternoon cup affair well, approx 1967 v Dunfermline. We, em, got sent home from school due to ahem, cough, a burst pipe or something. One of the few times I've watched from the enclosure. Good crowd that day.

Definitely remember well having to dog it in the afternoon to travel on the Maryhill bus the Wednesday straight after the greatest game in our history for our re-arranged game at Dens Park. 0-0 it was and fckn perishin. One of the coldest games I've ever been to.

Dogging School with my class mates to see the Scottish Cup Tie replay against Hearts on a Tuesday afternoon at 2 pm due to the Power Cuts caused by the 1972 miners strike.

Got three of the belt the next day ( now that really is suffering for the Jags cause) - even worse the Registration Teacher who belted us - Mr Campbell was an Airdrie Fan

Proud to say the guys I bunked off with - Jim Mcvey ,George Corner,Alan Seivewright and Alan McCulloch are still at Firhill every home game.

Interested to hear from others who made the game that day and did they dog school bunk off work ?

As a matter of interest does anyone know what the crowd was that day ?

Official History book gives that game as a 1-4 defeat, Feb. 19th, 1974. Crowd: 10,000.