Let Nostalgia Show Your Age

Dogging School with my class mates to see the Scottish Cup Tie replay against Hearts on a Tuesday afternoon at 2 pm due to the Power Cuts caused by the 1972 miners strike.

Got three of the belt the next day ( now that really is suffering for the Jags cause) - even worse the Registration Teacher who belted us - Mr Campbell was an Airdrie Fan

Proud to say the guys I bunked off with - Jim Mcvey ,George Corner,Alan Seivewright and Alan McCulloch are still at Firhill every home game.

Interested to hear from others who made the game that day and did they dog school bunk off work ?

As a matter of interest does anyone know what the crowd was that day ?

Was that Mr Campbell the history teacher at Hillhead? He really was an Airdrie supporting Cnut wasn't he? And not shy of telling people too....

Official History book gives that game as a 1-4 defeat, Feb. 19th, 1974. Crowd: 10,000.

Sorry I put the wrong Miners Strike - it was very difficult to tell in those days as we lumbered from one crisis to another :) (Gets hard hat on before Blackpool Jag replies on the Miners Strikes of the 70s ) I remembered it was a decent crowd but 10000 on a Tuesday Afternoon at 2 pm WOW - did these people not have work to go to - maybe the crowd was boosted by the mass ranks of striking Miners who were looking for a break from picketing.

Was that Mr Campbell the history teacher at Hillhead? He really was an Airdrie supporting Cnut wasn't he? And not shy of telling people too....

The very same- but he taught at Possil Secondary at the time - we did get revenge in 76 when we pipped Airdrie for promotion to the SPL and gave him stick - in fairness he didn't support the OF and was a decent History Teacher - he was also a Card carrying Tory ( shocker for an Airdrie Fan ).

Sorry I put the wrong Miners Strike - it was very difficult to tell in those days as we lumbered from one crisis to another :) (Gets hard hat on before Blackpool Jag replies on the Miners Strikes of the 70s ) I remembered it was a decent crowd but 10000 on a Tuesday Afternoon at 2 pm WOW - did these people not have work to go to - maybe the crowd was boosted by the mass ranks of striking Miners who were looking for a break from picketing.

Hahaha, cracker Jim.

So many memories already mentioned but:-

1) being asked "what was the score son?" as I walked home down Byers Road, usually followed by "who was playing ?"

2) Trannies ** pressed to the ear!

3) Players wearing jerseys marked 1 to 11, wearing black footwear and almost all games starting at 3pm on Saturdays!!

God, I'm old.

** for younger readers - transistor radios which preceded iphones by decades, nothing more offensive

So many memories already mentioned but:-

1) being asked "what was the score son?" as I walked home down Byers Road, usually followed by "who was playing ?"

2) Trannies ** pressed to the ear!

3) Players wearing jerseys marked 1 to 11, wearing black footwear and almost all games starting at 3pm on Saturdays!!

God, I'm old.

** for younger readers - transistor radios which preceded iphones by decades, nothing more offensive

Please please please stop the Comic Sans tag , on the font on your posts - it's bad enough from Sabbath w/o any one else using it - it is not a web standard font and is illegible on most operating systems except Windoze.

Even if it did display as it should it would be naff if more legible.

Loads of us just can't read what you post

I seem to remember going to the first league game of the season after we won the League Cup .....which I think was August 1972 and there was 10000 to see us play Dumbarton ( need to check memory....)

September 2nd, 1972.

4-1, scorers Glavin (2), Coulston, Lawrie. What players!!

The OH book gives the attendance as 9,000

The OH book gives the attendance as 9,000

Not sure if something mundane could really be counted as nostalgia but rounded off attendances (either by the 1000 or occassionally 500} seemed to disappear in the 80s. I can mind our friends from the east of the city never/rarely included those in the stand. I suppose a combination of H & S and VAT returns put an end to that. Nowadays an extra 500 punters can mean the difference between a poor attendance and a respectable one.

Dogging School with my class mates to see the Scottish Cup Tie replay against Hearts on a Tuesday afternoon at 2 pm due to the Power Cuts caused by the 1974 miners strike.

Got three of the belt the next day ( now that really is suffering for the Jags cause) - even worse the Registration Teacher who belted us - Mr Campbell was an Airdrie Fan

Proud to say the guys I bunked off with - Jim Mcvey ,George Corner,Alan Seivewright and Alan McCulloch are still at Firhill every home game.

Interested to hear from others who made the game that day and did they dog school bunk off work ?

As a matter of interest does anyone know what the crowd was that day ?

Yeah I was at that game. Had just started work and faked a dental appointment so I could go. Wish I hadn't bothered...lol

Not sure if something mundane could really be counted as nostalgia but rounded off attendances (either by the 1000 or occassionally 500} seemed to disappear in the 80s. I can mind our friends from the east of the city never/rarely included those in the stand. I suppose a combination of H & S and VAT returns put an end to that. Nowadays an extra 500 punters can mean the difference between a poor attendance and a respectable one.

I seem to remember in the 70's the Pink Times nearly always gave our attendance as 5000 (apart from OF games)