Cup Draw

jags on tour

We'll need to play far better than we did against Berwick Rangers if we are to progress to the semi-finals.

I remember McCall stating a year or two ago that he didn't value this competition. In our current position now, it should be a top priority to win this cup, in my opinion.

McCall stated that he wants to win thi competition, he said the same thing last season. An Alba Cup Final would be a great day out for Jags fans, and winning it would see a half decent amount of prize money in addition to some healthy gate money...but lets just remember the team we support :huh:

We'll need to play far better than we did against Berwick Rangers if we are to progress to the semi-finals.

I remember McCall stating a year or two ago that he didn't value this competition. In our current position now, it should be a top priority to win this cup, in my opinion.

He said that about a week before ALBA started their sponsorship of the competition, he then changed what he had said & said it was now worth doing well in. When the best we can really hope for is a mid-table finish in the league, doing well in the cups is a priority, especially the Challenge Cup, as it's the one we have the best chance of winning!

McCall stated that he wants to win thi competition, he said the same thing last season. An Alba Cup Final would be a great day out for Jags fans, and winning it would see a half decent amount of prize money in addition to some healthy gate money...but lets just remember the team we support :huh:

And remember Mark Roberts plays for them (should we have tried to get him back?) -- still it is a game we should be capable of winning (as well as losing) and it's on the weekend so we may get a decent crowd.

Just a point. We're due to play Q o S at home the day before the final. Reasonably strong possibility that either us or Queens could reach the final.

Might as well go out to try and win it. Last thing we want is to be out the competition and Queens to reach the final. We'd lose a fair amount playing the Q o S fixture midweek thru a drop in crowd (Queens usually bring a fair lot) and hospitality.

Just a point. We're due to play Q o S at home the day before the final. Reasonably strong possibility that either us or Queens could reach the final.

Might as well go out to try and win it. Last thing we want is to be out the competition and Queens to reach the final. We'd lose a fair amount playing the Q o S fixture midweek thru a drop in crowd (Queens usually bring a fair lot) and hospitality.

The week before the cup game, according to this... there's an international game on Friday 3rd, so hopefully none of our players will be called up.

Edited by Mr Bunny

The week before the cup game, according to this... there's an international game on Friday 3rd, so hopefully none of our players will be called up.

I heard that Halliwell is in Fabio Capello's thoughts at the moment though. Mind you, Halliwell will probably retire from international football too. :lol:

We should be too good for Ayr regardless of whether the Hoor and Dosser play.

They've already lost a cup tie to the mighty Elgin City.

I'd love to see us get to the final and beat QoS. Knowing our luck, we'll be sent to Dingwall in the semi (assuming we beat Ayr)

They should move the match to Saturday, like Forfar and Ross County have done.

The SFL may have it scheduled for the Sunday as the Friday is an International Fixture, and it might be inconvenient for travelling fans. That said it could be that they were just a bit daft and failed to realise that unlike last year the international fixture isn't on the Saturday.

I'm hedging my bets on the latter.

excellent draw!!! Whether this cup is worthwhile or not is irrelevant, I would still like to see us eventually win it!!

Agreed!

The club/fans need a kick start this season or at least build momentum. If Thistle don't want to feature in this cup then let's not enter in the first place, give a highland league side a chance against SFL clubs. If Thistle isn't afraid of some bloody success then let's win it and regain some pride.

RED&YELLOW ARMY!!!! :fan::fan:

Agreed!

The club/fans need a kick start this season or at least build momentum. If Thistle don't want to feature in this cup then let's not enter in the first place, give a highland league side a chance against SFL clubs. If Thistle isn't afraid of some bloody success then let's win it and regain some pride.

You're back! Amazing!!!

Agreed!

My sentiments exactly! This constant rubbishing of the Alba Cup is extremely irritating - especially from fans of a club that has never got anywhere near winning it in umpteen attempts. Some people seem to thimk we are too 'big' for this competition. Time for a reality check.

My sentiments exactly! This constant rubbishing of the Alba Cup is extremely irritating - especially from fans of a club that has never got anywhere near winning it in umpteen attempts. Some people seem to thimk we are too 'big' for this competition. Time for a reality check.

Sorry but there's a glaring difference in rubbishing this tournament and thinking we're somehow above it.

As far as I can see we lose money out of playing in it and I doubt in any case many folk can even recite the recent winners. I can remember last year's champions well enough, they sacked their manager weeks after. But that's all secondary to the financial side.

Not only does this competition attract the most dismal crowds where split gates only favour away clubs playing against a local side but it occasionally fecks up Saturday league games, as could well happen to us this November. So you don't even need to still be in the competition to suffer. Rescheduling a Saturday fixture to midweek means a loss of hospitality as well as a drop at the turnstiles. In addition those season ticket holders unable to attend midweek must question the value of their purchase.

A return to mini leagues in the League Cup would produce more income and help put life into a far more prestigious competition. The Challenge Cup would be a far better tournament without Div 1 clubs. It could be regionalised possibly with addition of clubs from the Highland league and the Juniors.