Just Home ... From Aberdeen

Richard Nixon

Oh well, don't have any complaints concerning the score. Aberdeen will play much, much better this season and get beaten.

It seemed like two cracking goals for them, although being directly side-on it was difficult to properly take them in. Gallacher once again doing his best to keep the score down, but it seemed that the rest of the team had no interest in scoring a goal today. Doolan must be raging that he isn't getting a start. I thought Conrad was particularly poor as well, and the erse fell right out the team as soon as the second went in.

The referee and the linesmen up to the usual standard we've come to expect, though it made no difference today. Two more soft yellow cards, they will take their toll soon enough.

First ever visit to Aberdeen for me; and the place lived up to it's national stereotype: grey skies, grey sea, grey city ... and grey pishing rain inside a crumbly grey stadium with grey fans, who forgot to bring an atmosphere with them today.

Nice art gallery though! Enjoyed that.

Today's match was every game that's been played at pittodrie since 1976, with a few notable exceptions. Better teams than this one have been outplayed by poorer Aberdeen teams up there. Aberdeen are a decent team and scored two good goals today.

Stevenson plays up front to hold the ball up and get physical with opposing centre halves. It's what Doolan can't do. That was proven up to Xmas and why Taylor was brought in. Whether it's working or not? I'm not sure. It worked v county. Had we seen out the Accies game, I would have persevered. However I think we need to go with Doolan up front and Stevo in midfield.

It was obvious why Elliot was playing. It was tactical. He can counter the pace of the Aberdeen midfielders and he did ok at that. Lawless isn't good enough for this division. So he should drop out.

The new full back Carroll looks a decent signing. He looks much stronger than ATS in defence. Didn't see him much going forward.

Conrad was ropey today in part again but I really don't think the defence is helped with SOD in the team. I much prefer McMillan in there. If that is the case, I think we are short of a midfielder. A wide one. Not Elliot. Seabourne did ok. Conrad looks as though he strained his hamstring and

, I went with low expectations and wasn't disappointed but thought there was some good signs at times.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa, Today, 09:05 PM.

Frankly, the last three displays have given me no confidence whatsoever that we are good enough to retain our place in the top League. Only, Gallagher has saved us from heavier defeat in each of the two league games.. With the exception of Doolan we offer absolutely no threat up front. The defence is a horror show with Ballatoni in particular starring as the pantomime villain.

In short I'm afraid that something I is seriously wrong at Firhill. It's hard to believe that this is the same team that won 4-0 on the opening match, although Ross County's performances to date May put that result in perspective.. Scunnered!!!

Can all the Lawles bashers please show some examples that deserve him to be made the scapegoat again. He was left out today due to the physical side of the game today. He has not started the season badly, but is getting it tight on here from some.

Our problem right now is we are trying to fit Stevenson into the team in a position he isn't used to playing. He plays in midfield, not out wide left or right. So if we are going to accommodate him who drops out, osman, Fraser or bannigan. It is not Lawless's or Elliott's fault that Archie is playing players out of position.

So who drops out if we play Stevenson in his true position?

• Like 1

Can all the Lawles bashers please show some examples that deserve him to be made the scapegoat again. He was left out today due to the physical side of the game today. He has not started the season badly, but is getting it tight on here from some.

Our problem right now is we are trying to fit Stevenson into the team in a position he isn't used to playing. He plays in midfield, not out wide left or right. So if we are going to accommodate him who drops out, osman, Fraser or bannigan. It is not Lawless's or Elliott's fault that Archie is playing players out of position.

Really you're talking about an all fit all on form scenario, which may rarely occur. A lot depends if our full backs can give us enough width in attack. Assuming they can then I'd imagine Doolan, Eccleston or whoever will replace Stevenson who'll drop back at expense of Lawless or Elliott.

La Scimmia Rossa makes a good point re SOD. I don't particularly favour McMillan ahead of O'Donnell but there's no question in my mind that our centrebacks have for too long been stretched too much when flanked by SOD and for that matter ATS. That's neither a criticism of our full backs then and now or a ringing endorsement of Conrad, Aero, Gabriel, Mair etc. Just feel when your full backs push on as is our style then our centrebacks are going to get stretched and pulled out of position regardless of experience or pace. To be realistic we're never likely to afford centrebacks with both pace and experience.

Kinda agree with La Scimmia Rossa about being short of a wide midfielder especially if we were to play our full backs a bit more conservatively. Doubt tho' we've enough in the kitty to fund sufficient quality.

As for the game today I actually came away not that despondent. Find that rather hard to explain as I don't think we were that far away from getting a real doing.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Frankly, the last three displays have given me no confidence whatsoever that we are good enough to retain our place in the top League. Only, Gallagher has saved us from heavier defeat in each of the two league games.. With the exception of Doolan we offer absolutely no threat up front. The defence is a horror show with Ballatoni in particular starring as the pantomime villain.

In short I'm afraid that something I is seriously wrong at Firhill. It's hard to believe that this is the same team that won 4-0 on the opening match, although Ross County's performances to date May put that result in perspective.. Scunnered!!!

What a lot of horse.

Edited by John Paul McBride

This is where the manger earns his money. He must've had a plan in his head on how the team would line up this season- assuming everyone fit- & I very much doubt Stevenson was bought as a striker.

The continued Doolan absence from league games puzzles me as if we bring in Ecclestone (or someone else before tomorrow) then surely they start up top before Stevenson?

I agree with you assessment about him not being a wide player either but here's the thing, where does Stevenson fit into the current system? I'll be truthful & say I'm not sure he does. We need him to get forward from midfield with late runs, almost Albert Craig like,but I'm not sure that's his game.

The best player for that in the current squad imo is Craigen but he needs to add goals to his game. He gets in the positions though.

It's very much how do you solve a problem like Stevenson? He's captain, 2/3 year deal & probably one of the highest earners at the club.

But as I said, that's where the manger earns his money. Ruthlessness needed. Someone not going to be happy.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy
  • Like 2

Wasn't at the game but it sounded all too familiar of away trips to bigger teams. Lack of endeavour and belief.

If we manage to put a couple more players out on loan, we might be able to get a couple more in.

Does the club stick or twist though? We've probably got enough to stay up and that's perhaps all at PTFC should care about until end of season when contracts run out.

IMO, if the club want to 'kick on', we need to replace Balatoni, Muirhead, Craigen, Elliott and Lawless. That's nothing directly against those lads, but they're not top 6 quality.

To a certain extent we managed to contain Aberdeen and there was a degree of encouragement in that. Two free headers in the box that could have produced Aberdeen goals was a worry though.

I expected Aberdeen to have the bulk of the possession and the thing that disappointment me was our use of the ball when we had it. We were always going to be under pressure at times away to Aberdeen but had we retained the ball better we should still have been a threat on the counter attack. We never were. From very early on the best we looked as if we could get was a 0-0 and we did defend okay. Two strikes from distance for the goals, the second as a good a goal as you will see, is evidence of that.

Aberdeen pressed us really well when we had the ball and as a result we never got any kind of passing game together. Aberdeen aren't as pleasing on the eye as, say, Dundee United but they are a good side. They will beat us more often than not but we should have competed better yesterday.

We are much less open than we were last season. Improve on a few basic things then we should do okay this season.

On another day it could have been 7-1. The two goals they scored were good but the freedom to shoot was shocking. Gal had a great save onto the bar from a free kick and our one notable effort would have been goal of season had it went in after a good passing move in second half. Difference was Aberdeen played as a team.

• Like 1

To a certain extent we managed to contain Aberdeen and there was a degree of encouragement in that. Two free headers in the box that could have produced Aberdeen goals was a worry though.

I expected Aberdeen to have the bulk of the possession and the thing that disappointment me was our use of the ball when we had it. We were always going to be under pressure at times away to Aberdeen but had we retained the ball better we should still have been a threat on the counter attack. We never were. From very early on the best we looked as if we could get was a 0-0 and we did defend okay. Two strikes from distance for the goals, the second as a good a goal as you will see, is evidence of that.

Aberdeen pressed us really well when we had the ball and as a result we never got any kind of passing game together. Aberdeen aren't as pleasing on the eye as, say, Dundee United but they are a good side. They will beat us more often than not but we should have competed better yesterday.

We are much less open than we were last season. Improve on a few basic things then we should do okay this season.

Not disagreeing with any of the above, but to give some context to those who were not at the game today, we did have some quite impressive periods of passing and ball retention (especially in the first half) that got us usually about half way into the opposing half. At that point one further good pass or cross could have created a real threat. But nobody was either in the box or making a run towards the box and so the player with the ball turned back, possession was recycled, and we either repeated the pattern as above or lost the ball or lumped it forward.

Frustrating, as with a little more ambition we could have made a real game of it.

I wasn't at Aberdeen, but vs Hamilton, although Gallagher made a couple of saves, we also missed at least 2 great chances - Stephenson one on one with the keeper and SOD when he played inside to Lawless instead if having a go himself. We didn't deserve to win vs Hamilton but neither did we deserve to lose.

The continued Doolan absence from league games puzzles me as if we bring in Ecclestone (or someone else before tomorrow) then surely they start up top before Stevenson?

It's very much how do you solve a problem like Stevenson? He's captain, 2/3 year deal & probably one of the highest earners at the club.

The arrival of a new striker {Eccelstone?) will tell us more . My feeling is that Dools doesn't start because there is no one to bring on for him when he's tired. Is there anyone that's seen a game this season that doesn't think Doolan is the better option up front?

Stevenson is turning into a real problem . We know he's a good player at this level but the fact is that at the moment we are a poorer team with him in it.

Archie has to grow a pair and make the decision to either drop Stevenson to the bench or drop one of his favored midfielders and play him there . Or change the formation.

Wasn't at the game but it sounded all too familiar of away trips to bigger teams. Lack of endeavour and belief.

If we manage to put a couple more players out on loan, we might be able to get a couple more in.

Does the club stick or twist though? We've probably got enough to stay up and that's perhaps all at PTFC should care about until end of season when contracts run out.

IMO, if the club want to 'kick on', we need to replace Balatoni, Muirhead, Craigen, Elliott and Lawless. That's nothing directly against those lads, but they're not top 6 quality.

Agree entirely. I wasn't even a fan of Elliott in the 1st division and would not have kept him. Same with Craigen and Balatoni, albeit they had contracts. I thought Lawless and Muirhead though were excellent in the 1st and I was surprised they didn't handle the step up. They've been given another year, which I think was fair but its clear now they aren't good enough for this level.

Not too fussed about yesterday, however, I think we all expected it. On to the next.

We've had a bad week (though at least we've won a game), but I don't agree with all the doom and gloom. We've now made four first team signings, effectively replacing everyone who left at the end of the season except for Lyle Taylor, and they all look pretty decent. Maybe Stevenson's been struggling a bit but we all know he can play. SOD and Lawless look more useful than last season. We're four points clear of the play off and only four games in. We may have more players to come in. And we've signed our best two young players on long contracts. Archie's been playing around with systems and it maybe hasn't all worked out, but at least he's trying something new.

So there's a bit of a lack of confidence, but I don't get how this, after one bad week, translates into "something seriously wrong at the club", as I keep reading here.

• Like 4

I thought Banzo was quiet yesterday, in fact,our mid field was over run at times_as both teams saturated that area, I think once Aberdeen though Sussed we had no threat upofront they started attacking more and we could have lost by more, in saying that, I thought we defended well, liked the look of Seaborne, and although Muirhead only on late, that looked better too, Aberdeen clearly did their homework on Higgy who got no room, Stevenson, tried, but looked resolved not to succeed in his role, new left back also promising, I actually thought Craigan would have been good for us yesterday with his drive. We're nota top 6 club this season, big target man essential. Its the glaring missing link.

Forgot to add, poor showing by Aberdeen FC on treatment of away fans, £24 quid to sit in a crumbling covered terrace right at the last section? What's that all about? The section right next to it cordoned off albeit next to the Aberdeen section, but there's a bloody big rail, fence and stewards between, a swirling wind and pissin rain which there's no real cover from, plenty wee kids there yesterday too.

Dire!