Players Wages

Gibberish

Citation needed.

Certification needed I reckon.

Average including the youth players? Including what we pay for loan players? How many people were surveyed in this questionnaire? Does someone get 100k and someone get 10k in amongst that? Does that make one a monkey and one a silverback?

Average wage at Thistle for squad, 25k a year, lowest in Scotland, pay them peanuts and you get monkeys I guess

Probably would have been an accurate post when we were winning the first division. McNamara's article in The Herald when he was touting himself to everyone basically stated our average wage was about £250 a week, but this would have included the kids on buttons. .

Beattie said our wage budget was doubling last season. So last season we were probably averaging about 800 or 900 a week. I think we offered Harkins around this figure before he went to St Mirren for double that.

Beattie said during pre season it would be increasing, for this season ahead. Whether it has or not, who knows, he has a habit of just blurting out the first thing that comes into his head.

I'd estimate our average wage is about 1000 a week. I've heard Fraser is on 1600 a week, you've got to think Higgy and a few new signings are around the 1000-1500 mark. but conversely your Elliotts etc are probably at the lower end of the scale.

Worth remembering Lawless spent last season on the final year of his contract, wage, so was still receiving a first division wage with no appearance fee's, so saved us a fortune.

I think the accounts are published around December, but we publish the thinest of accounts possible to a "business" our size, so any wages published will include office staff, which has drastically increased in numbers over the last year including at least 2 "management" positions.

Edited by potty trained

At least we're not paying much out in win bonuses.

Not doubting potty trained guesstimate for a moment. The number of contract extensions suggests a significant rise in wages. I do tho' doubt the sustainability.

Not sure how we can double our wage bill without a significant upturn in attendances. Increased gate prices and higher divvy out money can only go so far towards funding. And no cup runs of late and no player sales to go in the pot doesn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

Small bit in today's Sunday Mail (page 70) has our wages nearly doubling from £899,328 to £1,672,749 with turnover almost at £3,000,000 - states that is from the annual accounts.

So probably wages circa 60% of turnover. Ten year or so ago that would've been considered remarkably low. Dundee managed to peak at over 150%, Dunfermline over 130% and god knows what Livingston were at.

Nowadays I hear football wages to turnover should be below 50% and most peer clubs are striving to maintain that level. I suppose we're on track and being over the 50/50 mark will be mainly down to the transition from Div 1 to SPL. Other rival clubs have sold the odd player for a six figure sum to augment turnover. That's something we'll have to do, especially given our low attendances, if we're to pay wages remotely close to what other bottom SPFL clubs can offer.

So probably wages circa 60% of turnover. Ten year or so ago that would've been considered remarkably low. Dundee managed to peak at over 150%, Dunfermline over 130% and god knows what Livingston were at.

Nowadays I hear football wages to turnover should be below 50% and most peer clubs are striving to maintain that level. I suppose we're on track and being over the 50/50 mark will be mainly down to the transition from Div 1 to SPL. Other rival clubs have sold the odd player for a six figure sum to augment turnover. That's something we'll have to do, especially given our low attendances, if we're to pay wages remotely close to what other bottom SPFL clubs can offer.

Most players that sell are started at a very early age 16/17 in the first team. I don't know why we don't do it more often. Play a boy that age for 10 games and suddenly everyone wants him cause they have "huge potential". Our way of slowly introducing players to the scene so they aren't up and running until their twenties just doesn't get the publicity you need to sell them. Clubs think they have developed to their potential and if they want them they will wait until their contract is up. Hearts getting 250k for King is laughable and a prime example.

We need to start seeing the investment in playing youngsters at an early age.

• Like 1

I was a friend of a friend of ex-Hibs player Kevin McCann.

He was on a low wage at Hibs but his rent, mobile phone and car were all paid for by the club.

I don't know if that is the same at Firhill but I would doubt Higgy, Stevenson or Osman are on less than £1000 a week including any benefits.

Small bit in today's Sunday Mail (page 70) has our wages nearly doubling from £899,328 to £1,672,749 with turnover almost at £3,000,000 - states that is from the annual accounts.

Wonder if that figure is all wages or just players, seeing as we have added a lot of admin staff recently on a wage that OneThistle used to do for free

Wonder if that figure is all wages or just players, seeing as we have added a lot of admin staff recently on a wage that OneThistle used to do for free

I don't know but if we look at it from another angle it may help. Over the last few years we have been breaking even so if we assume that was the case for 13/14 then we would be spending approx £1.2 - £1.3M on everything else apart from wages. Does that sound realistic?

I don't know but if we look at it from another angle it may help. Over the last few years we have been breaking even so if we assume that was the case for 13/14 then we would be spending approx £1.2 - £1.3M on everything else apart from wages. Does that sound realistic?

For last season we had 46 players on the books, but 7 of them were only here for 6 months, so 42.5 wages.

20 of them were youth players probably on around £200 a week so £208k a year for them.

That leaves £1672541 split 22.5 ways or £1430 a week average, I could maybe see that for some of the loan players but I'm sure the £800 a week was banded for our 1st team squad last season