Just In From Firhill

thebiglemon

Battling win- not very pretty

2 excellent goals

Motherwell very poor

Thought everyone dug in and contributed in some way

Having O'Donnell's overlapping threat makes a difference

Onwards y upwards

I was screaming to anyone who'd listen (well suggesting to my mate anyway), during the Killie game that O'donnell should be brought on, as it was clear that neither full back carried any attacking threat whatsoever. In the absence of Sincy, I think O'Donnell is very important to our play

• Like 3

Battling win- not very pretty 2 excellent goals Motherwell very poor Thought everyone dug in and contributed in some way Having O'Donnell's overlapping threat makes a difference Onwards y upwards

Seems a bit lowkey for such an excellent victory.All 4 goals were of high quality.

9 of the League-winning team from 2 seasons ago re-united (Seabourne and Osman the only exceptions, though to be fair they both had tremendous performances). I think that showed in the unity and hard work all over the pitch. Much quicker through the midfield from defence to attack with snappy passes and strong running, without Stevenson slowing us down.

I actually thought that it was a terrible game and both sides were really poor. So happy,though that we got the win

Just shows you how differently people see games. Enjoyed the game, two fantastic goals from Doolan and Ainsworth and the other two were pretty good as well. Three points in the bag, everybody played well....personally I will take that every day of the week.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Seems a bit lowkey for such an excellent victory.All 4 goals were of high quality.

9 of the League-winning team from 2 seasons ago re-united (Seabourne and Osman the only exceptions, though to be fair they both had tremendous performances). I think that showed in the unity and hard work all over the pitch. Much quicker through the midfield from defence to attack with snappy passes and strong running, without Stevenson slowing us down.

^^ fantastic observation.

I actually thought that it was a terrible game and both sides were really poor. So happy,though that we got the win

as others have said, amazing how people see games differently. it wasn't the greatest game of football i have seen, but it was far from terrible. motherwell were no great shakes, but still a threat throughout, and scored a fine goal (although should never have been allowed to get in that position, as we'd had the ball seconds before). thistle looked like they wanted it more, had greater skill, energy and unity, and were nowhere near terrible. if you want to talk about terrible thistle performances, fine start a thread on it, but i'd suggest to call todays terrible and say we were "really poor", is doing the players and archie a major disservice.

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 1

A bit of a workman-like performance but three points is three points. We did what was required to get the result. Big Seabourne was immense at the back, as was McMillan, and SOD was a constant threat down the right. Bannigan and Osman were solid in the centre of the pitch and Craigen put in a real shift. Lawless was superb - a contender for man of the match - and Doolan's goal was a cracker. Towards the end we really needed too dig in, as they had resorted to shelling us with high balls, but generally we copied well. Archie also deserves credit for some astute substitutions. He set us up to hit them on the counter and it worked a treat, as can be seen in the final goal. So, considering that Higgy and Fraser were absent, I'm a happy Jag!

Really enjoyed the game, team played great, and 4 fantastic goals. Great to see Craigen & Elliot step up to the plate today, all players were great today, we played, fought and won as a unit today

Glad you enjoyed your trip, and I hope it showed what union can do.

Everyone in Scotland has stepped up to the plate over the last few weeks. We have a home win, and beer in the fridge.

We are still going, Partick Thistle will never die.

and banzo's goal celebration ..... first over towards the corner by the well fans, then running along the front of ns, the exuberant delight for all to see on his beaming face, round behind the goals then recelebrating with teammates in the well pen area ..... fanthistletastic :happy2:

We were much better than I feared though it has to be said that Motherwell who gave us a footballing lesson at Firhill last season are suffering a far greater drop in performance. In fairness, Ojamaa and the sub Ainsworth caused a few problems and I was mighty relieved when we scored the classic breakaway third. We did look the better team, and apart from Celtic, Aberdeen & Dundee Utd, I suspect that there's not that much between the other 9 teams in the League.

Last year we couldn't defend against SPFL big lumps of wood, particularly at set pieces. Seabourne is perhaps not the most accomplished footballer but he was supremely effective today in winning just about every high ball. I was pleased for Fox as well - I think he may well have got a hand to deflect that shot on to the bar at 0-0 and made another fine save near the end.

4 very good goals - I have always liked Lawless and I was glad he was offered a new contract...the way he made space for himself then played a killer through pass for Bannigan was oustanding. Doolan's thumping finish after a good passing move and great cutback and the brilliant run from Stephen O'Donnell down the left side were real Firhill for Thrills moments.

McMillan did well at left back and while he had a few of his trademark daft turns, I think O'Donnell pace and adventure at right back makes us a much more exciting side. Banzo and Osman also put in their standard excellent performances.

With Higgy & Fraser to come back and hopefully the return of a fit and confident Sean Welsh and Muirhead, we have the core of a pretty decent team.

Really enjoyed the game, team played great, and 4 fantastic goals. Great to see Craigen & Elliot step up to the plate today, all players were great today, we played, fought and won as a unit today

sums it up perfectly..even the Ainsworth goal was a belter ...fantastic performance...great build up and finish by Lawless and Bannigan....wonderful passing leading up to Dools for his sublime finish and superb vision by Nathan for O'Donnell who put it away as sweetly as you like..........the beers taste a lot better tonight than they did last Saturday. Jagtastic!!!!

^^ fantastic observation.

as others have said, amazing how people see games differently. it wasn't the greatest game of football i have seen, but it was far from terrible. motherwell were no great shakes, but still a threat throughout, and scored a fine goal (although should never have been allowed to get in that position, as we'd had the ball seconds before). thistle looked like they wanted it more, had greater skill, energy and unity, and were nowhere near terrible. if you want to talk about terrible thistle performances, fine start a thread on it, but i'd suggest to call todays terrible and say we were "really poor", is doing the players and archie a major disservice.

Well, I guess since there were 4 pretty decent goals in the game, terrible is the wrong description. But apart from that, I didn't see much football played by either team and it certainly wasn't an exciting game. And by the way, I didn't mention Archie.