Ryan Stevenson

thebiglemon

Agree completely with jag's post.

Enough has been mad of all of this.

I try to look at context when looking at anyone's performance. I accept the passion, embarrassment and disappointment of Saturday may have made me more critical of Stevenson than he merited (for that game). But the wider context is we should be permitted to expect more of him given his wage, pedigree and experience.

I agree with Jag's post 100%, as well as Ian Mac's. I will cheer on Stevenson, just as I do for the rest of the team, in every game. I don't care who he applauds at the end of the game. Its what he does on the park that I'm bothered with and I have been bothered with his form and, in my opinion, effort in games. It makes it even more frustrating when it's Stevenson for two reasons. The first being that the talent is there and it doesn't seem to be used to its full potential, which is a waste more than anything, and the second, as Jag has alluded to, is that he is one of our highest earners, so he should be one of our best players week in week out. I totally appreciate that players can go in and out of form and have no issue with that, however if someone is having a good game for one in every five or ten, thats where I have a problem. I want to see the best for the club and that means all of our players playing well and, in my opinion of course, Stevenson has not played well on a consistent basis since he has joined the club.

Abdul would be one of the higher earners and while deservedly player of the year last season has not been outstanding this season. Fraser is on an excellent wage while Seabourne is the highest paid player - but bizarrely only the high wage earner label is only put to stevenson and he probably contributed more than those 2 last season. I think because Ryan was more the more famous player it is more noted of his performances than any of the others

I think the stuff about who he applauded when he came off is a bit ridiculous and I haven't mentioned it as I have no issue with it.

But answer me this. If he'd had a good game on Saturday and a decent start to the season, would the applause thing be an issue?

He was poor on Saturday and has had a poor start to the season. That's my only issue with him.

He was subbed at NDP too early to make an assessment how well he was playing. Played as a centre forward the next game. Didn't play against ICT and i thought he was playing well v Killie when a forced sub once again. He was poor on Saturday, as was most of the rest that started. That may seem as a plea of mitigation but even if I'm being kind and he's been poor since day one he doesn't warrant all this scapegoating nonsense littered throughout this thread.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Where are you getting this from TL?

The Seabourne highest earner post was on Facebook as everyone was complaining about Stevensons wages before someone stated Seabournes was higher- quite possibly a load of bollocks lol but I do think given their experience and where they had come from they will be high earners to be honest I had Seabourne as my player of the year last December don't quite know what happened since then.

Think we had to offer Seabourne a high wage to get him up here and how highly rated he was down south.Would of course agree that Stevenson will be one of the highest earners which is pretty obvious.

The gary Fraser wage was posted on here by someone who I regard generally as being reliable with information, think it was about a year ago

The Seabourne highest earner post was on Facebook as everyone was complaining about Stevensons wages before someone stated Seabournes was higher- quite possibly a load of bollocks lol but I do think given their experience and where they had come from they will be high earners to be honest I had Seabourne as my player of the year last December don't quite know what happened since then.

Think we had to offer Seabourne a high wage to get him up here and how highly rated he was down south.Would of course agree that Stevenson will be one of the highest earners which is pretty obvious.

The gary Fraser wage was posted on here by someone who I regard generally as being reliable with information, think it was about a year ago

From time to time over the years many of us will have been party to inside info pertaining to all sorts of Thistle related business. The one thing that no one will ever be aware of is what wage any one individual player is on. Totally futile anyway as even if you came across a list of player wages it would only reflect a basic and would've no relevance to the individual terms of contract. So for arguments sake Ryan Stevenson could be on the highest basic wage but Abdul Osman on the best deal.

Sorry for having to spell out what will be obvious to many on here.

• Members

Unless the player comes outright and tells you his wage, I wouldn't believe a thing you read Matt. How many strangers do you tell how much you earn for no good reason?

Everyone knows the going rate for a shelf stacker, a telesales rep, an IT account manager, a Greggs Store manager, a field sales rep, a school teacher...l

Why should football be any different?

We know how much individual sports men earn, sponsorship deals and prize money are often published.

Edited by potty trained

• Members

Most wages are published when a post is advertised in "the real world".

Everyone knows the going rate for a shelf stacker, a telephone sales rep, an IT account manager, a Greggs Store manager, a field sales rep, a school teacher...

Why should football be any different?

We know how much individual sports men earn, sponsorship deals and prize money are often published.

Not really sure what you're getting at in conjunction with what I've posted PT?

been keeping out this stooshie and away from the board apart from a couple of peeks, but thought i'd post some feedback on stevo from my hearts supporting mate, and also what he emailed me at lunchtime today. and my own view of stevo too on saturday since we're at it.

working back the way, what i saw on saturday was stevos number being put up, then when he saw it, he turned sideways on to the thistle support while looking towards the hearts fans, gave two claps to the away support, but did not look in our direction ..... he then proceeded to applaud the hearts support in the rest of roseburn while looking in their direction directly and his body facing them, then worked his way slowly round the ground applauding all sides in same manner.

prior to that, he appeared often isolated, not chasing the ball or challenging with the vigour or extent i've seen him do on some other times, and overall not imposing himself on the game or being at his best shall we say. does that mean he was carrying an injury, playing at only for example 65% fit, or taking it easy as he was playing his old team, i'll make no comment on, as i'm not part of the management team, medical staff, a sports coach, or a itk.

regarding the throwin incident, before the ball was kicked out i was convinced 100% the hearts player was at it, staying down deliberately and falsely to try force play to be stopped and stop us attacking. many around me at the time seemed to be of the same opinion. as it came to pass, i and others were proved correct and the hearts boy was indeed swinging the lead.

my hearts mole, lets call him jambofan, after the game was of the opinion that stevo looked "fat, overweight, lazy, not interested and unfit". also told me that last week before the game, there was a rumour going round that stevo was going to resign for the jambos. the rumour was quickly dismissed by most hearts fans as bullsh1t, with many on their forum airing opinions he was now wrong side of thirty, they couldn't see where he would fit into their team and improve it, and overall consensus was he wasn't wanted back, "let him stay the legend he is, for his great goals and memories he gave us, for taking paycut and being part of team that was ultimately relegated but fought to bitter end and helped unite the support and club".

his email today was the following, and i'll leave it at that, and let others make their own minds up if it needs debated or not.

Thought you would may be interested in this post from kickback mate.

Stevenson came into Gorgie suite after the game and he got a great reception and spoke very highly about the jam tarts :D

Did Higgy do that with Thistle last week?

On back of a 3-0 skelping, if a exThistle player playing for Hearts had done that, don't think our support would take too kindly to that.

Should be with your team mates and the club that pays your ££££s especially after such a negative result (for your mob not the glorious Jambos haha). Not hanging out with your ex club fans.

back to stevo, and actually every other player who pulls on a thistle strip ..... what i want to see is hundred percent commitment and giving their all, not hiding or being nicer to, or going easier on, one opposition than another. saturday was a not a good day for stevo in that regard. but he was by no means alone.

and on the debate on whether we should not realistically being expecting "anything from teams like celtic, hearts, aberdeen" ..... what utter nonsense. killie being most recent example. plenty plenty more last season. season before then. season before that. season before that. and on and on back through the seasons. we have given hearts and celtic way too much respect already this season, standing off them, letting them dictate the game and how it pans out. we started ok against hearts but quickly reverted to celtic mode. that to me is not acceptable.

we all pay our money to see the jags. we all spend money travelling, especially those who go to away games. i want to see every thistle player make a fight of it. have a go at the opposition. don't stand off them in awe and wait for them to score, or score again. get in about them. let them know they are in a game. not a easy kickabout training exercise and waiting for the opposition to claim the three points and final whistle can go. that attitude is completely unacceptable.

but hey, plenty jags fans taking that attitude, of "stuff going to game, we'll maybe (or for many think, probably) get beat, we often/usually do against x or y, so why bother backing the team and giving them my money when i know i'll walk out deflated". i can't blame those fans though, especially when some lineups, tactics, let alone who the opposition is, often instills that feeling of "we ain't going to win today" even before a ball is kicked.

anyway, back to work, and back to occasional peeking in on what is some roasters of posts of late on this fora. and oh yeah, clever clogs itks and other posters need to cut back on the subtle, and some not so subtle, personal insults towards fellow posters.

may the thistle be with you.

• Like 8