Gordon Strachan: Brain Dead Idiot, Or Visionary?

north stander

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/530715/Gordon-Strachan-league-engineering-Rangers-Hibs-Hearts

Yeah, no bother, let's relegate the bottom 3 (or 4 or however many it takes) to make sure Hibs, Hearts and the new club from Govan are in top league next season.

They are in the championship for valid reasons entirely of their own making and doing, but let's punish every other club in Scotland (bar one), all because one club is suffering with quarter/fifth full stadium.

Let's manipulate the Scottish Football Leagues so it's easier for Dudcaster to do his job and get a league sponsor. In fact, why don't we just disband all the diddy clubs who don't come from any of the four major cities and all those who don't get 10,000 minimum home gates. Then Regan, Ogilvie, Dudcaster and now wee Gordy can all pat themselves on the back (or elsewhere knowing them), for saving Scottish football from Armageddon.

Idiots, one and all.

• Like 3

He's saying that all the hype is around the cup tie. Of course it is if you're a bigot, an old firm fan who's missed your regular fix of hatred and bile or a journalist who has their nose stuck up the arse of one side or another.

He's also quoted as saying that the phone-ins are filled with these kind of things. The ones I listen to, on very rare occasions when I can't avoid it, arr taken up with Rangers supporters whining about Celtic and vice verca. I for one couldn't care less about an old firm cup tie unless Thistle are playing the winner. I'm sure there are many football fans up, down and across the country who are dreading the next three months as nothing will happen in Scottish football worth talking about except the semi-final in January.

Let's see what Strachan says the first time he's on TV and his Scotland team are ignored because the journos want to talk about Rngers and Celtic.

Edited by scotty

The easiest way to engineer those particular teams getting back in to the top flight is to change to sixteen team league, an idea that most fans have been crying out for for years. That isn't going to happen though, we all know that.

Due to chasing the dollar, these short sighted clubs are ones that usually always voted to play each other four times a season in a smaller, repetitive, mind numbingly boring league so the message is quite simple - Get it right up you!

"We need Rangers back. They were punished and something had to happen ..."

Says it all really. The revisionism of history - never mind the fact that Rangers had to go into liquidation, and a new club was formed, which was admitted into the bottom tier. No-one "punished" anyone.

He also seems to forget that Hearts and Hibs were relegated because they weren't good enough to be in the top league. Okay, Hearts were docked points, but Hibs especially were beaten fair and square by a Hamilton side who so far have been a great addition to the Premiership. So the leagues should be twisted to reward failure? Will Motherwell get the same treatment if they finish bottom this season? Would we?

Would we f**k.

If crowds don't meet someone else's standards, bringing the sucking tumour that is Rangers back up isn't really going to help, is it? We are all aware of the clubs whose natural local support has drained away to Ibrox and Parkhead for decades.

Maybe a couple more years of freedom from the shite of Old Firm matches would mean fans would start circulating to other matches. But no; the first chance they get, the Scottish excuse of a sporting media has been falling over its' own dick to start hyping it up.

Still, he needs Rangers up, so they can start buying all the Scottish players, and he can have an excuse to play them for the national team. God forbid you play anyone when they're at diddy clubs like St Johnstone or Partick Thistle or <insert every other team here>.

He should keep his hole shut, but then he only cares about pandering to his Cellic buddies and their mates in Govan - the rest of us are shite on their shoes.

Edited by Richard Nixon
  • Like 1

Haven't heard the end of this, it'll be on ad infinitum until THAT game. And no doubt there will be endless opportunities for the likes of Chick Dung to pontificate on the aftermath. Btw, don't mention the sectarian baggage and violence that invariably accompanies this fixture, we've just got to accept it and class it all as the inevitable baggage of living in or around Glasgow!

Brain dead idiot or visionary? You omitted the third option, a senile fud.

I had been warming to the wee dick over the last year, but these comments are clearly the ramblings of an establishment imbecile. We're heading for an expanded Premiership next year should certain teams fail to get promoted. And Motherwell will once again escape relegation should they finish bottom. The media campaign has clearly started.

The sooner those in charge at the SFA get booted out the better, looks like we can included this deluded idiot in the clearout.

• Like 1

So say the top of the championship looks like this

Hearts

QoS

Falkirk

Hibs

Livi

Rangers (- 25 points as in admin)

And bottom of league reading

Ross County

St Mirren

Motherwell

Do they bring 6 up and avoid relegation to protect Motherwell leaving an 18 team top league (Which would on paper be great) and only 2 bigot bashes a year

Breakaway invitational top league (sound familiar?) of ten teams, Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee, Dundee United, Hearts, Hibs, Inverness, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and of course Rangers.

Would that type of scenario really shock anyone in this country? There'd be a (moderately) fat TV deal and sponsorship from Sports Direct and the media would go absolutely mental with glee.

Lost all respect for him now. Too disappointing for words...

Yeah ... you can understand - hate it but understand it - why the feeble SFA and SPFL and the 50th rate so called journos come out with their p1sh. The wee pool that is Scottish Football is all they have and they are stuck with that. However they could try to do their best in the situation as it is. But they don't. They are mentally limited and can't see beyond the OF dominating everything, they lack the imagination to think of even trying to find a better way (some of course are biased towards them).

Strachan however I don't understand. He's played and managed and has good contacts in England - when he gives up (or loses) the Scotland job he'll have no trouble finding work there. He doesn't have to worry about sucking up to the SMSM. He's smart and good at his job so there's not the excuse (for what it's worth) of the useless SMSM or Scottish football admin. He's also smart enough to avoid such questions or give an answer which sounds like he's saying what's wanted but isn't really saying anything. So it's far worse coming from him than the usual suspects.

Maybe they should just decide at the start of the season who gets relegated and who wins the league and who gets into europe based on some sort of coefficiant worked out around ticket sales and tv deals and who journalists and big wigs like the most, then the scores wouldn't matter and everybody would know their place.

• Like 1

I like wee Gordon but this is just ridiculous. To make matters worse he's called up Lewis McLeod to the full Scotland squad. Wtf is that all about????

Absolutely shocking. He's scored 2 (TWO) league goals this season according to the BBC website. I think I could've scored at least that in that Rangers team in that division! Not sure what Strachan is thinking with that one. Lots of SPL players with more goals.

Actually embarrassing - Liam Buchanan has 5 goals in that league - should he be playing for Scotland? Derek Lyle has 4 - should he be in the squad.

Same old sh*te - play for the OF, get a call up, if you don't, no chance.

ETA - outwith Celtic, there is NOT ONE SPFL player in the squad. Dear me...

Edited by Gary Peebles Tackle

Maybe he's angling to get the Rangers job when they dump Ally?

With his comments on fixing the league he'd fit right in with that mob.

Edit to add: off the top of my head there are several young Dundee Utd players who have PL experience - including Telfer, ex-Rangers but maybe the "ex" tells against him, he had the temerity to suggest leaving rangers to play for a higher league club would be better for his career. Not to mention Pawlett with Aberdeen, McGregor Celtic, and a number of young Hamilton players. I'm sure there are fine youngsters at other SPL clubs too including our own who ought to come ahead of McLeod.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Maybe he's angling to get the Rangers job when they dump Ally?

With his comments on fixing the league he'd fit right in with that mob.

Edit to add: off the top of my head there are several young Dundee Utd players who have PL experience - including Telfer, ex-Rangers but maybe the "ex" tells against him, he had the temerity to suggest leaving rangers to play for a higher league club would be better for his career. Not to mention Pawlett with Aberdeen, McGregor Celtic, and a number of young Hamilton players. I'm sure there are fine youngsters at other SPL clubs too including our own who ought to come ahead of McLeod.

Bannigan has the same amount of league goals as McLeod at a higher level and he's not even a striker!!! ;-)

Going against the grain here, I'm going to give this nonsense from the wee man a massive deefy. Reason is I respect hugely what he's done / doing with Scotland, and after the multiple plane crash that was Avril, I don't want to find myself seething and swearing at the manager again for a long time. To be honest, I wish I hadn't heard about this.

I crave a settled Scotland team and am prepared to pretend he never talked sh1te like this in the first place.

I don't disagree with a word said above, just my daft wee coping mechanism.

So is he saying expand the league? Or is he telling fans of unnamed clubs, you should be relegated to make way for a shite team, a team that went into admin and a team that died?

League reconstruction is extremely unlikely to happen even if only one of the "three" get promoted. Both Doncaster and Reagan are still congratulating themselves on what a wonderful job they did with the SPFL concept. Sheer genius coming up with four leagues and calling them Premier, Championship, One & Two.

I'm maybe less principled than most but from a means to an end viewpoint I'd grudgingly welcome all three back if it meant bigger leagues, playing more teams but less often. Once they're all back in under the present system, most likely season 16/17, any chance of larger leagues coming about will be greatly reduced.

For those more principled it should be pointed out that every league change I can think of has come about in a knee jerk manner. So it wouldn't be any more shameful than quite a few other past decisions. This time at least if a larger league arose then some good would come out of it.

I am a little surprised that WGS got himself caught up in such nonsense. He always struck me a quite clued on. As others have said, quite pleased with his approach as Scotland manager so really hope it was done to some temporary insanity or a joke that the reporter missed.

Regarding League Reconstruction, I don't think anyone has pointed out the more likely route. Without getting too technical, as the SPFL rules are the idiot offspring of the SFA, SFL and SPL, there is a hidden clause that means should Motherwell be in a relegation spot at Christmas, League Reconstruction is automatic.

• Like 1

What's the bet on a 14 team top team, play each team home and away = 26 games

League splits top 4 bottom 10

Top 4 play home and away = 32 games and 4 OF games when they eventually come up

Bottom 10 play each team once = 35 games

That will keep the TV men happy and the rest of us pissed off

Edited by Norgethistle