Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Yeah, first reaction was Charlie Smith, great player.

Definitely a key squad player for a couple of seasons. A no-nonsense, hard-tackling midfielder who chipped in with his fair share of goals.

Around the time of the "What a Sensation" celebration at Hampden a few years ago it was rumoured that he had passed away, but I've never seen any confirmation of that.

Here's a team gathering.

innjojn.jpg

Don't see anyone naming any of this eclectic bunch so here goes;

From L to R at the back - Lyons, Watson, Archie, ? , Morgan, ?, Gaughan, Stirling, Dunn, Adams, ?, ?, ?, Nicolson ,?

At the front - Milne, Sanderson , McVeigh, Hetherston , Henderson

Edited to add Jimmy Boyle and Iain Nicolson

Edited by brodieboy

From L to R at the back - Lyons, Watson, Archie, ? , Morgan, ?, Gaughan, Stirling, Dunn, Adams, ?, ?, ?, ? ,?

At the front - Milne, ? , McVeigh, Hetherston , Henderson

That's pretty good going! All I was sure of was Archie and McVeigh, but now the names make the faces recognisable.

(I thought that Lyons was Derek Fleming!)

couldn't possibly be george best, could it...????????

That's the reply I was hoping for!

Makes the job of identifying the others that bit easier....

ETA: Amazing how the posture is enough to identify a player in such a grainy old picture!

Edited by Jaggernaut

From L to R at the back - Lyons, Watson, Archie, ? , Morgan, ?, Gaughan, Stirling, Dunn, Adams, ?, ?, ?, ? ,?

At the front - Milne, ? , McVeigh, Hetherston , Henderson

Martin Lauchlan is the first ? David Farrell and Billy McDonald in the back row. Jimmy Boyle in the front row. The lad back row extreme right hand side was the physio but his name escapes me for the moment.

• Like 1

That's the reply I was hoping for!

Makes the job of identifying the others that bit easier....

ETA: Amazing how the posture is enough to identify a player in such a grainy old picture!

at a time when kevin keegan was being touted by sections of fleet street as 'the best in the world...', john roberts of 'the independent' wrote: "keegan is not fit to lace george best's drinks...'

Edited by robphil

couldn't possibly be george best, could it...????????

I don't think that's Best. It could be Willie Morgan but I'm not even convinced by that. I thought Best had a beard at that time

I remember a program front cover from soon after with a close up of Best taking on a Jag's player, if anybody can remember it they might be able to confirm the beard

Edited by jaggy

Martin Lauchlan is the first ? David Farrell and Billy McDonald in the back row. Jimmy Boyle in the front row. The lad back row extreme right hand side was the physio but his name escapes me for the moment.

I believe the physio's name was McFadyen and he came from up North.

• Members

I don't think that's Best. It could be Willie Morgan but I'm not even convinced by that. I thought Best had a beard at that time

I remember a program front cover from soon after with a close up of Best taking on a Jag's player, if anybody can remember it they might be able to confirm the beard

I think you're right on both counts Jaggy. Looks like Willie Morgan to me too and Best was sporting a beard if that is the Donnie McKinnon testimonial game. Brian Ralston was the Jags defender facing him on the picture you're talking about I'm fairly certain.

Definitely a key squad player for a couple of seasons. A no-nonsense, hard-tackling midfielder who chipped in with his fair share of goals.

Around the time of the "What a Sensation" celebration at Hampden a few years ago it was rumoured that he had passed away, but I've never seen any confirmation of that.

That's awful...I hope not. He obviously canny be that old. I can mind of comin out of Firhill one night and guy behind me shouted 'take the baw hame wi ye Smith' coz he pretty much ran the show.

M. United player with arms raised looks a little too thick-set to be Willie Morgan to me - looks more like Alex Forsyth - but maybe just wishful thinking.

When I first saw this earlier in the day I immediately thought it was Lou Macari. Not so sure now but when stuck with quizzes and the like you're always better going with your first guess.

Is this the photo you mean?

George_Best.jpg

Impossible to say from the earlier picture whether it's Best or not (too far to see if there's a beard).

Anyway, Kellachan and I guess Brian Ralston on the goal line.

The scorer for Man Utd is George Graham.

Nice wee article by a Man Utd supporter who came up for the match here:

http://strettynews.com/special-away-days-part-2-partick-thistle-1973-and-a-fading-supanova/

Edited by Jaggernaut

i would guess that one of the pugilists is peter keenan who regularly fought at firhill in the 1950s

Peter Keenan it is, pummelling Danny O'Sullivan in 1951. Here's a clip of the fight, in which you can clearly see the high wall that ran the length of the city end back then.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/keenan-kos-osullivan

Peter Keenan it is, pummelling Danny O'Sullivan in 1951. Here's a clip of the fight, in which you can clearly see the high wall that ran the length of the city end back then. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/keenan-kos-osullivan

his pub beside nthe old daily record/sunday mail building was the first in glasgow to be granted an all-day 11am-11pm licence (don't know why but i loved that old wall...)

Edited by robphil