Just In

simoncordiner

Depends on your perspective I suppose. But the way I see it, we're eight points clear of relegation and 5 points off the top six. In 30 years of watching Thistle I've never seem us comfortable in the premier league. I doubt I've ever seen us finish eight points clear of the relegation spots.

We may not this season, who knows, but the fact is that we have twice as many points as St Mirren or Ross County, we can afford to be looking up the table, but that does't mean that just staying up wouldn't be an achievement. Add to that we reached quarter final of the league cup and we're still in the Scottish Cup, having beaten premier opposition in both competitions.

We have a flexible squad and regardless of what you think of them there are very few, if any, passengers.

I don't really see where people get the idea that we "should" be beating anyone in this league. We should certainly be trying to, but we have no divine right to beat anyone at this level. The other teams, and the other clubs, are trying to progress too.

So as far as progress goes, I'm happy.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 4

That first game of the season against Ross County, we were terrific to watch, just think that the entertainment value of the team is lacking this season, compared to last.

Agree with that. But I can think of games last season where we didn't entertain.........or compete.........or be hard to beat

My point is that we could have more points than we have just now by playing a more attacking set up, yesterday being a prime example. As well as being higher in the table we would be clearer of the teams below us.

I like to see us sitting high up the table no matter the time of season. Maybe you settle for mediocrity and survival. Some of us have more ambition.

Wow, your posts make you come across as a complete dick.

Carroll, Craigen, Elliott and Balatoni.

None of these players would get into that Killie team.

We were off to a bad start with them in the team.

I'll take the bate, which players from that impressive Killie team were better?

They were awful and not at all the team we played at Rugby Park, having witnessed the crap you post I can't believe if you were a Killie fan you would have given any pass marks to any in that team, Christ Johnstone would have gone after the second loss in a trott.

I'll take the bate, which players from that impressive Killie team were better?

They were awful and not at all the team we played at Rugby Park, having witnessed the crap you post I can't believe if you were a Killie fan you would have given any pass marks to any in that team, Christ Johnstone would have gone after the second loss in a trott.

Eh?

Yes, it was a poor performance. But there's still positives. Least of all we've outplayed Killie despite having most of our creative players out of form or lacking match fitness/returning from injury. If we'd had the number of injuries and similar lack of form to key players last season we would have faired very badly, I reckon. This season we're a better team and are able to adjust better. A return to form and fitness of just one of Higgy or Fraser will make all the difference. A return to form and fitness of both and we'll be looking up the results of the teams above us, not those below.

What the hell was O'Donnell doing for the goal? terrible defending.

No, no, no, Craigan's the scapegoat for 2 dropped points. Read the script, JoT.

In fairness I haven't got a bloody clue what he was thinking, trying to take a touch with his weak foot, 2 yards out. completely unaware of where his man is, I actually thought the one in the second half where the same lad turned him in the box was almost as bad.

What the hell was O'Donnell doing for the goal? terrible defending.

I thought he was just wrong footed off Gallacher's save. I'm often critical about SOD's defending but that's always when he gets stranded too wide and in turn draws our right centreback out of position. I happen to think he's not bad at all when he does cover the centreback area.

I don't subscribe to the view that winning more games is as simple as playing another striker. We're a small team in this league, trying to compete. The slow nature of our progress is frustrating, but I do think we are making progress and learning. Hey, remember Morton?

We seem to struggle to turn our dominance into wins in games, especially against the teams around us. Probably due to the opposition setting up to defend. Our attacking strength is usually on the counter attack.

I don't subscribe to the view that winning more games is as simple as playing another striker. We're a small team in this league, trying to compete. The slow nature of our progress is frustrating, but I do think we are making progress and learning. Hey, remember Morton?

We seem to struggle to turn our dominance into wins in games, especially against the teams around us. Probably due to the opposition setting up to defend. Our attacking strength is usually on the counter attack.

Spot on. As often as not we don't make enough scoring chances and that's with five in midfield. Stands to reason we'd make even less chances with only four in midfield. Our strength too often or not is also a weakness, and that's relying on attacking wide players to both score and set up goals. Lawless, Higgy and Elliott are all very effective players but we often ask too much from them.

What's missing is a directness from central midfield positions. Osman in my mind has been our best player but that's most definitely not his strength. Fully fit, Fraser will be positive, as will Welsh. Craigen's still a work in progress but Bannigan's not been direct enough for weeks now. I don't foresee Stuart not progressing as a midfielder. He really should be too valuable in a central role to even contemplate playing him at left back but at present that's not the case.