Mccall

We got beat 4 times off the City of Moustaches (H*n Division) last season without scoring a goal, and I was of the opinion that McCall doesn't quite have the smarts to outwit other managers. Today I think I was proved wrong in that playing it 5 - 3 - 2 seemed to work very well against a pretty shaky Dundee defence. I mean Boyle vs Griffiths, Maxwell on the pitch at all...Has McCall therefore learned from his mistakes, or, even better, just learned?

After Kenny Brannigan, Chisholm is the biggest diddy in the league. I seriously think that if it wasn't for Cowden and Stirling being in the league this year, he could relegate them.

Chisholm was lucky at QoS as he inherited a squad with players like Stephen Dobbie and the fact that their fans put up with the awful kick and rush football they played under him. He's as out of his depth at Dundee as DC was at Firhill.

My only worry is Dundee sack him before the end of August.

We got beat 4 times off the City of Moustaches (H*n Division) last season without scoring a goal, and I was of the opinion that McCall doesn't quite have the smarts to outwit other managers. Today I think I was proved wrong in that playing it 5 - 3 - 2 seemed to work very well against a pretty shaky Dundee defence. I mean Boyle vs Griffiths, Maxwell on the pitch at all...Has McCall therefore learned from his mistakes, or, even better, just learned?

maybe if raith had only won 2-0 or something last week then he would have kept a similar team and shape but he was desperate just not to lose this game so stuck maxi in for extra cover. if he knew he was going to start maxi surely he would have given him a run out against berwick, maybe its been a thing thats sprung to mind after stenny beating dundee?

I'm no fan of a 3-5-2 as a rule. But if we adopt a style where one of the central defenders regularly joins in the attack (mostly Balatoni today) and each of the three midfielders put in a hard working shift (as personified today by Rowson, Cairney & Flannigan) then I'd definitely have a rethink.

McCall can hardly be criticised for his tactics today but the motivational aspect can't be ignored either. He really had the team up for it today.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

maybe if raith had only won 2-0 or something last week then he would have kept a similar team and shape but he was desperate just not to lose this game so stuck maxi in for extra cover. if he knew he was going to start maxi surely he would have given him a run out against berwick, maybe its been a thing thats sprung to mind after stenny beating dundee?

If Maxi was a few years younger i would agree with that statement. Imo if Maxi had a run out in midweek he probably wouldnt have lasted 90 mins so well today

A couple of years back McCall talked about how he thought 3-5-2 was the formation to use in this league, with 4-4-2/4-5-1 being what was needed in the SPL. Whilst that may not be strictly correct as none of the div1 champions I can think of used a 3-5-2 (apart from us almost 10 years ago), perhaps after using 3-5-2 to finish 2nd in the league and being pretty mediocre with other formations over the past year, he realises it is the best formation for us to use in this league.

I feel Paton and Boyle might suit the formation better, if either get forward you have a sweeper and defensive midfielder to cover if possession is lost. It isn't about using Maxwell; if Archie and McNamara were available you might have seen a back three of Archie, McNamara, Robertson.

Can I just ask who was sweeper today, Maxwell or Balatoni?

A couple of years back McCall talked about how he thought 3-5-2 was the formation to use in this league, with 4-4-2/4-5-1 being what was needed in the SPL. Whilst that may not be strictly correct as none of the div1 champions I can think of used a 3-5-2 (apart from us almost 10 years ago), perhaps after using 3-5-2 to finish 2nd in the league and being pretty mediocre with other formations over the past year, he realises it is the best formation for us to use in this league.

I feel Paton and Boyle might suit the formation better, if either get forward you have a sweeper and defensive midfielder to cover if possession is lost. It isn't about using Maxwell; if Archie and McNamara were available you might have seen a back three of Archie, McNamara, Robertson.

Robertson played in mid defence with Balatoni to his right & Maxwell to his left. I don't really think tho' that Robbo played as a conventional sweeper. As posted elsewhere Balatoni was quick to join in attacks but Robbo also came forward a fair amount. Maxy was quite naturally more of an anchor but I suppose you could at a stretch compare his role today as a sweeper

3-5-2 worked made us look a lot more solid, it also allowed paton/boyle to get up the wings where they are better than in defending.

It also relies on the midfield 3 getting forward and back quickly, in rowson and cairney we have 2 guys capable of running 90mins, Flannigan was his best yet and i think this formation allowed him to drift into the middle and get on the ball, which is his more natural position.

Upfront Grehan is looking better , won a few headers and challenges today against a land of the giants type defence, buchanan if anything was poor by his standard today , he needs to take his time in front of goal.

McCall got the tactics/motivation spot on today, next week heres hoping for the same

The difference I think might be that Conrad as a centre back really gets up-field, meaning that having an extra defender doesn't matter as much in terms of midfield loss, but also it provides that extra security for Boyle and Paton to have a go.

Dundee didn't play badly, but we were still slicing them open with some really neat stuff. McCall deserves credit, but the execution and application also played a big part in our victory today.

I think the three centre backs today worked more as it gave Paton and Boyle room for error a bit more than 4-4-2. For me the midfield won the game today. Rowson, Flannigan and Cairney in particular kept it solid and outfought Dundee. Not convinced that Maxwell, Boyle or Paton would have coped with a flatter formation. Cairney was man of the match for me today.

• Members

McCall was as tactically good as Chisholm was spectacularly bad yesterday. Maxwell totally nullified any threat in the air from Dundee particularly from Adams.

Chisholm on the other hand, must have been aware of IM's comments last week about changing the way the team plays after last weeks disaster and should have anticipated IM's changes better. I couldn't believe he was playing the best midfielder in the division up front with McMennamin on the left hand side of midfield (particularly with his scoring record against Thistle) and then pushing the best Centre Forward in the division out onto the wing! Bizzare!!!

McCall was as tactically good as Chisholm was spectacularly bad yesterday. Maxwell totally nullified any threat in the air from Dundee particularly from Adams.

Chisholm on the other hand, must have been aware of IM's comments last week about changing the way the team plays after last weeks disaster and should have anticipated IM's changes better. I couldn't believe he was playing the best midfielder in the division up front with McMennamin on the left hand side of midfield (particularly with his scoring record against Thistle) and then pushing the best Centre Forward in the division out onto the wing! Bizzare!!!

Astute obersvation.

Whilst we played well Dundee's tactics didn't help them in the slightest.

Thought Maxwell was brilliant yesterday. Stuck his face in front of a shot quite near the end at the edge of the area. It's a shame he's about 37 however. Only problem I feel is, that when Archie is back that he's played left back, where's he's really finished. Think Boyle deserves yet another chance as he's 100% committed to playing for the jersey. Thought Paton did really well yesterday. Everyone did well and hope to see more of this to come!

Thought Maxwell was brilliant yesterday. Stuck his face in front of a shot quite near the end at the edge of the area. It's a shame he's about 37 however. Only problem I feel is, that when Archie is back that he's played left back, where's he's really finished. Think Boyle deserves yet another chance as he's 100% committed to playing for the jersey. Thought Paton did really well yesterday. Everyone did well and hope to see more of this to come!

i love it when i hear the old Archie is finished debate. what a lot of sh*t

The hope is that we can actually improve when Archie and Mac return to fitness as we have yet to field our strongest side. Some minor worries about Buchy, everything seems right – his fitness and sharpness, ability to turn defenders, lay offs, work rate etc. – just that final shot. It’s surely got to come good again soon, and I think it would be wiser to keep him in the starting eleven, unlike perhaps Paton, for whom a spell on the bench may do no harm, and may happen in any case when Mac returns.

Part of the fun of winning is enjoying your rivals’ discomfiture: Dundee – big time Charlies, spent a bomb last year, failed to get promoted, now cash strapped, look like relegation rather than promotion candidates, stuck with a fud of a manager – and Captain Harkins, Get It Right Royally Round Yez!

• Members

Buchanan is just going through a lull just now. It happens to the best of strikers. I think Liam has scored more in competitive fixtures lately than Wayne Rooney has despite Rooney having a far better supply.

Liam would be in my team every week, scoring or not, purely for nuisance value. Stick with it Liam, the breaks will start falling your way again soon.

After Kenny Brannigan, Chisholm is the biggest diddy in the league. I seriously think that if it wasn't for Cowden and Stirling being in the league this year, he could relegate them.

I'm not disagreeing.... but I'm kinda hoping Pressley will turn Falkirk into a laughing stock, he's a big diddy.

Buchanan is just going through a lull just now. It happens to the best of strikers. I think Liam has scored more in competitive fixtures lately than Wayne Rooney has despite Rooney having a far better supply.

Liam would be in my team every week, scoring or not, purely for nuisance value. Stick with it Liam, the breaks will start falling your way again soon.

Yep, I'll buy that.

I'm not disagreeing.... but I'm kinda hoping Pressley will turn Falkirk into a laughing stock, he's a big diddy.

I was forgetting about Pressley. Make that 3 diddy managers. I've high hopes that Allan Moore will have bitten off more than he can chew at Morton as well.

Our off the ball movement was great, if our passes had been a bit quicker and sharper we could have put a couple more past them.

Ian McCall got it spot on today, putting Maxy in was a risk, but one that paid off big time, he was absolutely solid!

Overall it was a great display, I feared the worst for us, but some slick movement, good off the ball work, and King Paddy has given us some much needed hope for the rest of the season.

We could easily go and put Morton to the wall next week if we play like we did yesterday, then we have Cowdenbeath and Stirling Albion, so there is really no reason we cant target the min of 7pts from our next 3 matches.

WELL DONE THISTLE!

I know Moore comes highly recommended but don't forget him consulting Dick Campbell prior to the likes of a big game or something. Evidently he looks upon the Bunnet as some sort of guru. :o

Exactly. Lets hope he asks for a few pointers before Saturday. :thumbsup2: