V. Motherwell 27Th December

thebiglemon

According to the bbc website (I know), we had 62% possession and one shot in the ninety minutes. Is that right?????

More than one, but not many more. I don't remember any that were really on target, certainly none that made the keeper work. Disappointing 1st game of the season for me :(

Edited by jaggy

Didn't you know that it's Craigen who's to blame for all that was bad yesterday (and every other game he's played in). It was his fault that Balatoni stuck his foot out and scored an og, it was his fault that Stevenson blazed over, it was his fault that Fraser missed from long range. Seems to be this seasons scapegoat.

See, now this is what I'm talking about, a comment here from someone who has probably never played football at any level whatsoever. If Craigan does his job big Conrad would never have stuck out his foot. it's the classic chaos theory in practice, if a butterfly farts in Africa Jamesie Craigan sells the jerseys in Maryhill. If he stops the move at source....well you get the picture

James Craigen has had far, far too many starts for the standard of player he is. He mishits a ridiculous proportion of the shots he takes and his movement off the ball is terrible. First half, yesterday, the problems were (1) that we had no-one in the box, yet focussed down the wings as usual and (2) that our midfielders didn't move into space to look for the ball at all. No surprise then that when Craigen went off and Lawless came on and moved around and when Bannigan went into midfield and went looking for the ball, we became infinitely better. Even more so when Doolan came on up front and behaved like a striker.

Changes required:

-McMillan at left back

-Bannigan into midfield again

-Craigen dropped

-Stevenson and Fraser to fight it out in attacking midfield for the position

-Doolan to start up front

January:

-new left back

-new striker

Does anyone know what the story is re Sean Welsh and Jordan McMillan?

Edited by PaleGreySky
  • Like 1

Post-match stats:

• Thistle maintain their vice-like grip on 9th place for the 6th match in a row.
  • Thistle fielded the same starting eleven for only the third time this season. We have yet to make it to three in a row.
  • Abdul has now played 1,980 consecutive minutes.
  • Thistle's alternating outcome sequence now sits at 25 competitive games in a row.
  • Kris Doolan is the player most commonly "off the bench" in competitive games this season. 10 of his appearances this term have been registered in this way.
  • In all competitive games, Thistle have been awarded just one penalty this season. In stark contrast, our opponents have been awarded six.
  • In this season's Premiership, Thistle have had 5 penalties awarded against - more than any of our competitors. According to statbunker.com, Dundee are second with 3 transgressions.
  • Since the opening League game vs. Ross County (when Thistle picked up 2 yellows to County's 3), Partick Thistle have went 17 League games without a "win" in the disciplinary stakes. The current run includes 8 "draws" and 9 "defeats".
  • Partick Thistle turn the New Year with a positive Top Flight goal difference for the first time since 1978.

James Craigen has had far, far too many starts for the standard of player he is. He mishits a ridiculous proportion of the shots he takes and his movement off the ball is terrible. First half, yesterday, the problems were (1) that we had no-one in the box, yet focussed down the wings as usual and (2) that our midfielders didn't move into space to look for the ball at all. No surprise then that when Craigen went off and Lawless came on and moved around and when Bannigan went into midfield and went looking for the ball, we became infinitely better. Even more so when Doolan came on up front and behaved like a striker.

Changes required:

-McMillan at left back

-Bannigan into midfield again

-Craigen dropped

-Stevenson and Fraser to fight it out in attacking midfield for the position

-Doolan to start up front

January:

-new left back

-new striker

Does anyone know what the story is re Sean Welsh and Jordan McMillan?

Bannigan was toasted by Ainsworth but am I the only one that thought Christie Elliot had a cracking second half at left back?

Post-match stats:

• Thistle's alternating outcome sequence now sits at 25 competitive games in a row.

• In all competitive games, Thistle have been awarded just one penalty this season. In stark contrast, our opponents have been awarded six.
  • In this season's Premiership, Thistle have had 5 penalties awarded against - more than any of our competitors. According to statbunker.com, Dundee are second with 3 transgressions.
  • Since the opening League game vs. Ross County (when Thistle picked up 2 yellows to County's 3), Partick Thistle have went 17 League games without a "win" in the disciplinary stakes. The current run includes 8 "draws" and 9 "defeats".

For me those stats are remarkable.

Would agree that Christie was immense in the second half. The laddie is credited with saying that he stays behind after training to improve his skills and I, for one, think that it sticks out a mile that he is doing this. I see he is strong and now is one of the few in the team who will actually try and BEAT an opponent. This speaks volumes for him .

I used to despair when I saw his name on the team sheet. No longer. A Jags team all playing as well as he is currently would be awesome. Well done Christie and keep it up!

• Like 2

Every time I've seen Christie moved to full/wing-back he's been excellent. I'm not sure how much work would be required to retrain him for that position, or if the player himself would be up for such a move, but it's worth considering.

Don't know if I hit "post", but last week I had written a post suggesting when defending late in games that he and SOD should swap roles, so that SOD became the wide right of a defensive 5 and Elliott became the right back slotting inside.

Would agree that Christie was immense in the second half. The laddie is credited with saying that he stays behind after training to improve his skills and I, for one, think that it sticks out a mile that he is doing this. I see he is strong and now is one of the few in the team who will actually try and BEAT an opponent. This speaks volumes for him .

I used to despair when I saw his name on the team sheet. No longer. A Jags team all playing as well as he is currently would be awesome. Well done Christie and keep it up!

he did have a great game after moving to left back, but he did have one great chance to shoot when he cut inside in the 2nd half but opted to pass instead, which was a pity as he can hit the target