All For The Good Of Scottish Football

JAGSMAN1968

Rangers versus Celtic return 'good for game' - Kenny McDowall

A return of Glasgow derbies between Rangers and Celtic will benefit Scottish football, according to the Ibrox club's caretaker manager.

"I think Scottish football needs this fixture," he told BBC Scotland. "Hopefully it will help Scotland get back to better things in the future."

Just seen this on Beeb website!

Actually saw him on T.V. last night and had to leave the room before he finished.

How exactly will Scottish Football benefit from sunday's game?? - Discuss.

They really are deluded-(but we all know that anyway!)

Celtic and Rangers need this match. It probably does affect things like sponsorship too, although that's because Doncaster and co. are always talking our game down and basically saying our game is worthless without Rangers in the top flight.

The rest of us can pretty much do without it. The majority of their fans are pure ********* filled with arrogance and hatred.

I'll be watching Sunday's match though.

Down the years the majority of teams have spent time (some or all) in the lower divisions so down the years have got very little from either of the old firm. Somebody took the bother to look at the figures after the new club were placed in the bottom division and found that outside Celtic the loss in attendance was minimal and probably made up for by the need to pay less for policing and not having to endure the hassle of their hordes milling about.

Doncaster has basically instead of trying to improve things, been doing the opposite - I think just to not have to admit that his comments about armageddon in the Scottish game were pure mince. In fact - possibly due to the shock they got from old Rangers ' demise - a lot of clubs have done deals to reduce or get rid of their debt and are better off now than when the blue cheek was in the top division. They've also enjoyed a better chance at winning cups.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

Why do the fans of forty clubs, and indeed the forty clubs themselves, need this game?

I would tho' suggest the media in general and the press in particular will benefit from this game. The cynic in me would also suggest the more contentious on and off the field, with the more side issues, the better from their point of view.

• Like 1

"Scottish Football needs this game", that really should be followed up with the question "How? Would you care to explain that?."

As others have said the two clubs need the fixture, it validates their existence. They have always judged themselves on their relationship with the other.

Scottish football though, and indeed Scottish society as a whole, could well live without it. We've coped with the strain and anguish of no old firm fixture for the last few years without too many mental breakdowns.

• Like 6

We'll all probably watch the game but not for footbal reasons but for the chance there will be a barney ,or sendings off or a fight or whatever. I've been to a few old firm games and the atmosphere is absolutley poision.

I stay south side and On the day of the match i'll be telling my kids not to go out anywhere near Hampden and to stay well clear of the town centre because of the uber violence that will probably preceed and follow.

This is the match that is "good for the game"

Scottish football needs this game as much as a Marriage Guidance Councillor needed Peter Surclife! What total and utter facile nonsense. In fact the only people who need this game are Sevco and their loyal fans! Are we supposed to believe that before their demise Glasgow Rangers embodied everything that's best about Scottish football and of course their largesse knew no bounds as they liberally handed out money to the rest of Scottish football.

Basically a it's a lot of ahistorical drivel!

"Scottish Football needs this game", because it's the one game that attracts TV. TV exposure attracts sponsors, competition among sponsors brings more cash. From a footballing point of view it brings nothing. From a cash point of view. it brings plenty.

This, in a nutshell. Money is all that matters, This for the good of the game chat is meaningless nonsense, it brings in money, that's all, end of story.

We'll all probably watch the game but not for footbal reasons but for the chance there will be a barney ,or sendings off or a fight or whatever. I've been to a few old firm games and the atmosphere is absolutley poision.

I won't be watching it, couldn't even care less about the result, but people like you watching it are part of the reason it's "for the good of the game" :whistling:

"Scottish Football needs this game", because it's the one game that attracts TV. TV exposure attracts sponsors, competition among sponsors brings more cash. From a footballing point of view it brings nothing. From a cash point of view. it brings plenty.

Well for the Old Firm it does and the SFA will get a nice cut but it doesn't help other teams at all as they don't get much and the OF get stronger form the cash..

It atta

I stay south side and On the day of the match i'll be telling my kids not to go out anywhere near Hampden and to stay well clear of the town centre because of the uber violence that will probably preceed and follow.

This is the match that is "good for the game"

Never bothered about watching an OF match for a couple of decades now. I've shaken off the myth up here that's it "the greatest football derby" and since I believe the OF are bad for the game (and society in general) I refuse to support them by watching them (the more that do, the more it enforces TV's belief they are worth paying for).

• Members

Who is this 'Old firm' you speak of Bunny? :) I should have qualified my post better by saying, the fixture in general and not just this game. The SPFL with regular Celtic/Rangers games have a much stronger bargaining chip when it comes to TV coverage and how much they charge. All the Clubs would therefore benefit from that.

p.s. Suckered into yet another Celtic/Rangers debate when I'd rather be talking about Thistle. When will I ever learn!!!

It's not even a sell out.

The time that Kenny McDowall speaks for the whole of Scottish Football is the time that we pack it in.

If this is the case, it's very telling.

Nothing lasts forever, Scotland seems to be changing, don't think the old firm will be a central part of that change, they have the look of yesterdays men.

Who is this 'Old firm' you speak of Bunny? :) I should have qualified my post better by saying, the fixture in general and not just this game. The SPFL with regular Celtic/Rangers games have a much stronger bargaining chip when it comes to TV coverage and how much they charge. All the Clubs would therefore benefit from that.

p.s. Suckered into yet another Celtic/Rangers debate when I'd rather be talking about Thistle. When will I ever learn!!!

It's difficult to type "so-called Old Firm" all the time so we all too easily fall in with the phrase the media used. I didn't deny that the S-COF is an attraction to TV and brings money in but I made the point that (even with the recent adjustment to shareout) they are going to get the bulk of it due to winning more things (at least one of them will for a while) and getting the vast majority of live games. So in terms of bettering other clubs it doesn't really do much. It also of course with the vast overexposure they get helps eat into the support for other teams. You could make an argument for it being better not having any TV exposure.

• Like 1

It's difficult to type "so-called Old Firm" all the time so we all too easily fall in with the phrase the media used. I didn't deny that the S-COF is an attraction to TV and brings money in but I made the point that (even with the recent adjustment to shareout) they are going to get the bulk of it due to winning more things (at least one of them will for a while) and getting the vast majority of live games. So in terms of bettering other clubs it doesn't really do much. It also of course with the vast overexposure they get helps eat into the support for other teams. You could make an argument for it being better not having any TV exposure.

It's a bit like the gap between the rich and the poor.

If the income of the top 2.38% of society rises at a greater rate than other 97.62% then the inequality between the two grows.

It could be argued then that the past success of the old firm, and any possible future success they enjoy as a duopoly, served only to reduce the level of competition in the game in our country and I would have thought that there would be near universal agreement that that is a bad thing.

• Like 3

If the income of the top 2.38% of society rises at a greater rate than other 97.62% then the inequality between the two grows.

It could be argued then that the past success of the old firm, and any possible future success they enjoy as a duopoly, served only to reduce the level of competition in the game in our country and I would have thought that there would be near universal agreement that that is a bad thing.

I would add that it's not helped by the fact that not only do the football administrators see the blue-green cheeks as the big solution, they seem intent on running down the rest of our game outside them, That's why we have no sponsor.

• Like 2

ftdf

the old firm is now the dead firm.

one of them died, no amount of repeated media lies, zombie wishing or sfa fantasies will change that.

the only downside to the sevco tribute act is fifty percent of numbskulls making up scotlands shame still exists.

if only fergus mccann never saved the other half, we could have been rid of all of scotlands shame by now.

ftdf

• Like 4

I would add that it's not helped by the fact that not only do the football administrators see the blue-green cheeks as the big solution, they seem intent on running down the rest of our game outside them, That's why we have no sponsor.

^^^^^ two vg posts