Just In V St. Johnstone

The Sunnylaw Jag

And I was, albeit in ignorance, wondering if we're exceptional or is this not just the norm? For clubs at our level. Obviously Celtic, Aberdeen etc will turn games around that's why they're on top of the league.

I know you don't like things being said unless they are backed up by facts M'Lady but I sure ain't going through every clubs record....lol. Pretty sure we must have one of the worst records for going behind and then taking nothing from the game......then again it might just be stuck in my head as it's happened a lot this season.

Edited by Lindau

I know you don't like things being said unless they are backed up by facts M'Lady but I sure ain't going through every clubs record....lol. Pretty sure we must have one of the worst records for going behind and then taking nothing from the game......then again it might just be stuck in my head as it's happened a lot this season.

:) No disrespect to our resident stattos, in fact (npi) every amount of respect and gratitude. But no, I couldn't be arsed going thru all that either.

• Like 1

We were.

Howzabout those that are trying to make a point, about our inability to turn around a game when we lose a goal first, do some research? Are we away out here on our own? Or are we similar to other bottom six sides in that respect?

I was asking a genuine question.

No need to be snooty m'lady!!

The worst bit about the response was I was at the game in question.

But for a number of reasons 19th September 2014..............

Please forgive me.

Great result and a very good all-round performance! A few thoughts on the performance of individual players;

Fox: looked confident, handled confidently, and good distribution. But why does he allow himself to get pinned down on the goal line at every corner?

O'Donnell: good game.

Booth: Grew into it as the game went on.

Frans: seemed to mop up with ease and assurance.

Balatoni: "inspirational" comes to mind. How many important goals has he scored for us from set pieces? Got stuck in in defence too.

Osman: Great at simply stopping/breaking up many attacks by the opposition before they even get started.

Craigen: boundless energy, and I like him. But quite a few wayward passes yesterday. As somebody has already said: he seems to be good at helping to drive the team forward.

Bannigan: deserved his MotM. Driving forward and keeping moves going time and again. Superbly struck goal.

Lawless: tricky as ever and kept at it, but often muscled out of it.

Stevenson: unlucky with his effort that came off the woodwork. I dunno, he just seems a bit lazy (e.g. doesn't often track back, though did so brilliantly to win back possession for us in the 2nd half), often wanting to take too much time to control the ball before shooting.

Doolan: One of my favourite players of the past few years, and yesterday reinforced my view. Superb first touches.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Came across this on STV website there whilst looking at the goals.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/partick-thistle/313559-partick-v-st-johnstone-thistle-giving-up-leads-who-is-the-mannus/

16 points given up from winning positions.

ICT next with 12. Dundee with 11 & DU with 10 next after that.

Came across this on STV website there whilst looking at the goals.

http://sport.stv.tv/...-is-the-mannus/

16 points given up from winning positions.

ICT next with 12. Dundee with 11 & DU with 10 next after that.

Thanks for posting that. Rather damning stats to a degree. If I read that right then it's likely other rival teams will have a better record than us overturning the loss of a goal. Apologies then due to those indicating that.

I think what's most worrying when we lose the early goal is not just that we go on to lose the game, which I suppose the odds dictate would happen most of the time, but the fact that on most of these occasions we've never got back into the games, and gone on to a shut-out defeat.

I think what's most worrying when we lose the early goal is not just that we go on to lose the game, which I suppose the odds dictate would happen most of the time, but the fact that on most of these occasions we've never got back into the games, and gone on to a shut-out defeat.

I don't worry about that, much easier to accept that the players we have, aren't quite at the level to be able to achieve that, regularly.

How many teams offer that level of consistency? Celtic, Aberdeen and caly?

For years we were a middle to top team in a different division. We are now a minor player, just aiming for survival, a chance to be able to finance better players for an other season.

As the last two seasons have shown, over the course of a full season there is very little between the majority of the teams.

• Members

Anyone else read Tommy Wright's post match comments?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/31889149

Aye ok Tommy so your keeper only had 1 save to make. What about the 3 he didn't make, and the one off the post! Your team had 2 attempts on goal in 90 minutes. Anyone remember the penalty claim he says could have changed the game? I've no memory of St Johnstone players appealing for anything.

To be fair to the guy, Mannus probably only did have one save. I also wondered what the St J players were complaining about after our third, so I guess that was the penalty incident at the other end he mentioned? Don't remember it myself.

Lot of comments about Davidson not getting sent off, I couldn't believe Chris Millar got through the game without a card! Caught in possession and tried to hold Craigen back for the Stevenson chance in the 1st half went on to commit another 4 or 5 deliberate fouls thereafter. Easily should have been booked for persistent foul play. The sort of fouls that Collum was only too happy to dish out cards to Bannigan in particular earlier on in the season. Whilst also mentioning Davidson was lucky to escape a second yellow, equally I thought SOD was also lucky to escape one too when he tried to grab the ball up in the corner whilst on the ground near the end of the game.

• Like 1

I don't worry about that, much easier to accept that the players we have, aren't quite at the level to be able to achieve that, regularly.

How many teams offer that level of consistency? Celtic, Aberdeen and caly?

For years we were a middle to top team in a different division. We are now a minor player, just aiming for survival, a chance to be able to finance better players for an other season.

As the last two seasons have shown, over the course of a full season there is very little between the majority of the teams.

On your third to fourth paragraphs I completely agree and, frustrating as it's been, I still reckon we're on course for a successful season. But I do think we have a bit of a problem when we go behind. For a team that averages the amount of goals that we do it shouldn't be game over when we go behind early in the game, as it has been on too many occasions this season. That's not really to do with quality or consistency.

Edited by allyo

I'm totally baffled when people refer to Stevenson as lazy. Perhaps it's just his demeanour? The guy chased around all day, played every position in the front 3, and in the last couple of mins was still chasing back to his own corner flag to win the ball. He does a lot of positional covering off the ball in the midfield too, much like Osman covering RB when SOD bombs forward from time to time.

Anyhow, Bannigan was immense. That's the player we've been missing for parts of this season. Aside from his goal, he played a few great through balls which had their defence scrambling.

Tommy Wright had a shocker with his comments. His team lost the plot when they realised they couldn't compete.

• Like 1

This season has been weird. Teams play us with unenviable form and get a result. We score three against a St Johnstone side that hadn't (Celtic aside) conceded more than two for some considerable time. ICT unbeaten and not having concede a goal and we knock three past them. We struggle to score against teams in the bottom six but are responsible for around a quarter of the goals both Accies and ICT have lost this season.

Even in our long history of strange and baffling results we appear to have reached new heights and, alas, depths this season in unpredictability.

Btw I'd tend to go lightly and let Wright off with his inaccurate post match comments. Could take it as a back handed compliment as I doubt there's much wrong with the St Johnstone defence. A case of it ain't broke don't fix it, and he's trying to play down the defeat.

Looking at forthcoming fixtures, i'm glad of the league split and the slightly exaggerated importance that is put on it. Hamilton, St Johnstone, Killie and Dundee all battling for a top six place. They don't play us but they play all the teams below us before the split and I'm glad they have something to play for.

Let's hype it up!

Looking at forthcoming fixtures, i'm glad of the league split and the slightly exaggerated importance that is put on it. Hamilton, St Johnstone, Killie and Dundee all battling for a top six place. They don't play us but they play all the teams below us before the split and I'm glad they have something to play for.

Let's hype it up!

Hadn't thought of that ... very good point. Hope you're right and they do the business. Though it would be nice if we got a couple of wins too. At the moment we are on course to be one place better placed than last season - and that means an extra 100K doesn't it? I'd like to see us catch Killie or Dundee but would be happy enough to maintain our current position.

• Like 1