Ross County Subsidy

Vinnyjag

I think victory in our game against Ross County is absolutely pivotal in not only securing our Premiership status but also will go along way to us securing 8th or maybe even 7th place in the league and we are all aware of the significance of that in terms of increased revenue for the club.

With that in mind do folks think that perhaps the Jags board should invest a wee bit of cash in subsidising supporters buses to Dingwall or if fans go by train subside the entrance fee?

I know this season we haven't travelled in as many numbers as last season but we do still make a huge effort to back our team on the road.

Only last week Archie made reference to the support at Celtic, so surely a big vocal support at Dingwall would be a huge asset to the team and go along way to ending RC's incredible run.

Finally am not sure of the costs associated with my proposal, however if we secure Premiership safety sooner rather than later we can start to make offers to those players OoC who we want to keep.

• Like 2

I think this is a great idea VJ. I doubt the club will have the £ though it probably wouldn't cost that much. At the moment I am weighing up the cost of going (realistically £100 all in) against saving the money towards renewing season tickets which isn't that far away.

• Like 1

I can't actually remember PTFC ever subsidising supporters for an away match regardless of how important it was, whereas I do recall other clubs' supporters being subsidised to come to Firhill (usually where they got the result they wanted!).

Am I wrong?

Actually, I'm not sure about how especially "crucial" the Ross County game is. Aren't they all, in terms of where we end up? What if we lose there, doesn't the next away match become even more crucial etc?

• Like 2

Actually, I'm not sure about how especially "crucial" the Ross County game is. Aren't they all, in terms of where we end up? What if we lose there, doesn't the next away match become even more crucial etc?

To me the game is vital. Given I think Motherwell will have beaten Hamilton on the Friday, I think it's vital we take something from this game, just to stop the Ross bandwagon rolling on and to get us off to the perfect start.....even a draw will be a great result as I am pretty sure we will beat the Saints and the Accies in the following games. If the Well do beat the Accies and we get beat up north, it puts the pressure back on, to a certain degree!

Nice idea, but when do you stop (and start)? A bad result at Dingwall makes the following games equally if not more important, so do you then subsidise travel to those games? And so on. The lack of subsidised travel to ICT did not seem to affect our 4-0 win there a few weeks ago. Each game carries the same reward.

Edited by eljaggo

I think if it was a midweek game the Club might well have subsidised supporters buses.

I don't think reduced entry would be too big a carrot for those swithering on going by train, bus or car. The overall cost of the journey being so relatively high it would only reduce total cost by a small percentage.

I agree with other posters that the RC game is no more or less vital than any of the other remaining fixtures - although it looks the toughest. It's also too easy to presume Hamilton or Saints will keep losing.

It would be gambling with cash we clearly don't have in the hope that bringing a marginally larger crowd than we would be bringing anyway will affect the result. For what is essentially a standard league fixture, I'd rather the club kept the money to be honest.

It would make more sense to do something to attract supporters to a home game where the club can get revenue from gate receipts/food/merchandise, rather than putting money into the hands of our rivals.

I was thinking this, but then we start the argument about disadvantaging season ticket holders.

I was thinking this, but then we start the argument about disadvantaging season ticket holders.

There's plenty of ways the Club could attract more fans to Firhill for a one off occasion that doesn't involve reduction of the gate price.

Putting aside the ST holders interest I'd argue that simply lowering the admission price would be a dangerous option anyway. If sufficient extra fans don't turn up the Club loses out big time. If extra fans do in fact turn up in considerable numbers what would it prove? Most likely that most fans think football is too expensive and the Club has been overcharging all along. In short good PR turned bad.

The vast majority of those who travel to Dingwall, or are just thinking of going, will be at Firhill for the last two home matches. If the Club really want to promote the County game then they could offer those who go to Dingwall a free pie, T Shirt, cap, hospitality discount or whatever at Firhill. All that's needed would be to retain your ticket stub from Dingwall. I'm not saying the Club should necessarily do this but something along those lines doesn't devalue the product, such as lowering gate prices. It doesn't further devalue the purchase of a ST and it might just get a few extra bums on seats.

• Like 3

The Club has subsidised, and offered subsidised, travel to away games previously.

First time I can recall was a midweek Scottish cup-tie with Forfar in, I think, 1987. The offer, as I recall, was declined by the then Supporters Federation* as this was a trip that they generally made money on.

* It may have come down to the decision of the individual branches. Certainly, there was no subsidised travel on the branch I travelled with.

I don't agree that this is just a standard league game. It is the start of a mini league that will determine which division we will be playing in next season and getting off to a good start is vital.

In case anyone has forgotten, last season Hibs and Kilmarnock were in 7th and 8th place going into the split and both lost their opening game - Kilmarnock to Thistle with a pretty impressive Travelling support.

Hibs and Kilmarnock eventually played a must win game against each other to avoid dropping into the playoff