Archie's Managerial Masterstroke

Dark Passenger

Giving Abdul the armband. Turned his season around completely. And the team's.

Totally agree. Has been a different player since that happened. Also think the signing of Booth was a great piece of business. A lot of our problems this season came from having stop gap left backs (Bannigan, Elliot) and a distinctly average on loan one (Carroll) Booth has been great. Solid enough defender and good going forward. Would like to see him getting rewarded with a new contract

You may be right.

The continuity of selection in the past few weeks has also been notable, and that was something the he just wasn't able to do earlier in the season. We didn't hear many excuses at the time, to his credit, (by contrast, all you ever heard was how unlucky St Mirren had been) but we were regularly 3 or 4 men down and it probably affected consistency way more than was ever discussed.

Totally agree. Has been a different player since that happened. Also think the signing of Booth was a great piece of business. A lot of our problems this season came from having stop gap left backs (Bannigan, Elliot) and a distinctly average on loan one (Carroll) Booth has been great. Solid enough defender and good going forward. Would like to see him getting rewarded with a new contract

definetly I think Callum has gelled well within the team in his short spell here would be pleased to get him on a new deal and I think we shouldn't have many problems getting him to sign

Another factor, yeah. Particularly at the back. Bannigan's demonstrated maturity beyond his years in the second half of the season, too. I'd like to think the chat me and a few mates had with him in The Crow after the festive Motherwell game contributed to that. ;-)

Seriously though, you really have to credit Archie with our recent revival. He's faced some challenging situations this season, including McMillan's misdemeanour, Lawless's petulance and the complete capitulation suffered against Ross County.

But we're finally showing signs of real progress, despite all of that. We're very lucky to have him at the helm. It's time he was recognised for the great job he's doing.

• Like 1

Barring disaster Archie has now got us promoted and then kept us there for a third season.

In a third of a century, in the latest quarter of Thistle's history, effectively in the modern game, we have only had one manager who has achieved more. No other comes close. And Archie's only been in the job for just over two years.

Yes, he was a very good player for Thistle. But I didn't want him in the job. From the outside it looked like an Alan Shearer type appointment, and I thought we needed experience. It's his record as a manager, not as a player, that he should be judged on in this role, and I don't think anyone can seriously deny that he has excelled.

Archie deserves a lot of praise for the way he handled our dip in form..

Hope we can get most of the team signed on longer contracts now.. Unsure if Higgy will have impressed anyone with his form this season am hoping he will stay as we know what he is capable of. SOD Has been a great servant to the club can only wish him the best and hope he goes to a club that will let him shine (unlike ATS) and will also show potential recruits that thistle is a great career move.

Agree with the DP tho' a managerial masterstroke may be slight use of exaggeration. The optimum position to make someone captain is in deep central midfield and you always want to pick an experienced player who plays 90 mins every game he's fit. Risking snide comments but Sean Welsh fitted that bill as well. So I would say that Abdul is a completely natural choice of captain.

There is tho' no doubt that since he's been captain Abdul has been playing excellently and the team is that bit more organised, especially in our own half of the pitch. I never doubted Stevenson was an inspirational captain but playing in a more isolated role perhaps he's less influential a leader. It's just occurred to me that Stevo is playing ninety minutes with relative ease these days. If not having the extra burden of the armband is in anyway the reason then I'd have to concur and say that making Abdul captain really is a managerial masterstroke. :)

Agree with the DP tho' a managerial masterstroke may be slight use of exaggeration. The optimum position to make someone captain is in deep central midfield and you always want to pick an experienced player who plays 90 mins every game he's fit. Risking snide comments but Sean Welsh fitted that bill as well. So I would say that Abdul is a completely natural choice of captain.

There is tho' no doubt that since he's been captain Abdul has been playing excellently and the team is that bit more organised, especially in our own half of the pitch. I never doubted Stevenson was an inspirational captain but playing in a more isolated role perhaps he's less influential a leader. It's just occurred to me that Stevo is playing ninety minutes with relative ease these days. If not having the extra burden of the armband is in anyway the reason then I'd have to concur and say that making Abdul captain really is a managerial masterstroke. :)

If people argue with themselves in their own posts then the internet will cease to exist.

There is a lot changed about the way the team play since the disaster against County at Firhill. We seem to play far more of a pressing game , Bannagin seems to be getting much further up the park, we have stopped the meaningless crosses from very wide to an isolated striker and the amount of shots teams actually get in against us has dropped to less than a handful per game,

I would say a factor in almost all of this is the form and positioning of Abdul and Banzo . .

I really hope Archie gets the backing from the board to keep this squad together, it not often Thistle get to a point where the club looks like it can take a big step forward but that,s where we are.

Archie and Shaggy took a lot of deserved criticism on the forum but their response has been magnificent.

• Like 1

I think the Bannigan factor is very significant, and that Archie took the seemingly tough decision to drop one of our most talented players (Fraser) because the balance of the midfield wasn't quite right. I think I'm right in saying the County home game which by all accounts represented our worst showing of the season was the last game Gary started? It will be interesting to see where he figures for next season. He's been somewhat unfortunate in that we've been fortunate with injuries over the last couple of months, hopefully he's able to accept his reduced role for the time being.

Archie certainly deserves credit for the very impressive recent results but I wouldn't rank appointing Osman as captain as a management masterstroke...it was down to Seaborne getting injured.

I think the comparative improvement in playing surfaces has had more of an effect on the performances of Osman & Bannigan...both of them struggled particularly at Firhill when the playing surface was at its worst.

We played 7 games at Firhill in the two months after December 20, including the Saturday before Christmas and two midweek games on cold nights, winning once. In the two months since the horror show against Ross County on February 21, we have played three times at Firhill, winning them all. This may be a crazy idea for Scottish Football, but wouldn't it be better to schedule games when people have more cash, when the weather is better and the playing surfaces are more conducive to passing football? Do the Club have a view on this?

Was it? The armband would have transferred to Stevenson if it was as simple as that.

Well Stevenson was only a substitute for the two games after Ross County which was Seaborne's last appearance.

I'm not sure the role of captain is that important anyway but I don't disagree that Osman has come back on to a game.

I'm not sure the role of captain is that important anyway but I don't disagree that Osman has come back on to a game.

I'd argue differently. First you get a group of players who want to play for the Club. In popular parlance guys who buy into what we're about. Secondly you get them all playing to the same tune. Thirdly you delegate a player to oversee this on the pitch. Always assuming that the player in question is proud to be wearing the armband then imo the role of captain is most important.

• Like 1

I'd argue differently. First you get a group of players who want to play for the Club. In popular parlance guys who buy into what we're about. Secondly you get them all playing to the same tune. Thirdly you delegate a player to oversee this on the pitch. Always assuming that the player in question is proud to be wearing the armband then imo the role of captain is most important.

I remain unconvinced. Obviously it's good to have one or more players in a side who can inspire and guide their team-mates but I don't think handing someone in particular an armband is that crucial - a strong team spirit is more important. It's not like being captain in a cricket team who makes all the tactical decisions or in rugby where he calls many of the plays during the match.

I can see what you mean LIB, but I don't feel the choice of captain is that important in football. Perhaps more so at our level than more elite teams, but professional players should all be leaders and responsible for themselves on the pitch. I suppose for us with a relatively youthful squad it could be more important though.

getting the ball forward much quicker as opposed to the square passes at the back which allowed the opposition to regroup, that to my mind has been the big difference

we now pressure the opposition players who have possession in their own half

with players like doolan stevenson lawless who are more than capable of keeping possession and can take the game to the opposition and create and can score, poses more problems to the oppositions defence

we can see that the players revel in the freedom that they now have moving forward

with banigan and osman backing them up winning the ball and moving it far more quickly to the players up front

and of course with o,donnell and booth(who i think has the potential to be a better prospect than ats) creating problems down both flanks

not forgetting our two centre backs who have been outstanding

cant wait for st midden game we owe them big time

onwards and upwards

:)

• Like 2

I remain unconvinced. Obviously it's good to have one or more players in a side who can inspire and guide their team-mates but I don't think handing someone in particular an armband is that crucial - a strong team spirit is more important. It's not like being captain in a cricket team who makes all the tactical decisions or in rugby where he calls many of the plays during the match.

No it's not and I fully accept that. I could tho' come up with a long list of captains of successful teams who according to their respective managers were key to that success. We might be closer to agreement just coming at it from different angles. For instance I don't think the role of captain, no matter how inspirational, is that crucial if the strong team spirit isn't there to begin with.