Tend not to take much notice of pre season performances- especially after Gerry Collins era where the team he built dismantled all in front of them & we know how that ended!!

Looking good & coming through unscathed in bounce games all well & good but I'd still be reluctant to give him anything other than a pay as you play deal this season.

His injury record over the years would suggest anything else too big a risk when finances tight.

Agree with this. We should minimise the risk with Welsh with his injury record. Also your comment on pre-season friendlies is correct. Saw plenty of players that look great in pre-season only to disappoint when the real action starts.

The continued absence of Seaborne is a worry. We really need him fit for start of the season. Some big decisions for Archie ahead in midfield and defence for Hamilton game. Who will partner Frans at the back if Seaborne is out? Who will be at right-back? Banzo or Welsh next to Osman? Rotherham game will tell us more.

Edited by Alan Murray

Welsh's skill was obvious last night, but so was the reason for a string of apparently unconnected injuries: he dwells on the ball and then falls victim to the type of physical play (i.e. tackling the man rather than the ball) that is tolerated by British officials. Either he needs to distribute the ball more quickly, or he should move to a country where officials are more protective of players. (Lawless was also falling victim to some robust tackling, but he seems more agile and is possibly more resilient: at any rate, he has a lower centre of gravity.)

Edited by Fearchar

Sean Welsh bossed the game in the first half last night, and the tackle from behind that caused him not to reappear in the second half would have been a yellow card in a competitive game.

He is also a goal threat which is something we badly miss from midfield. I am old enough to remember guys like Ray Farningham and Albert Craig, who both regularly chipped in with goals from midfield.

I think we should be offering Sean a deal until the end of the season, as long as he comes through the next few weeks unscathed, because the games are going to get faster and more physical.

Welsh's skill was obvious last night, but so was the reason for a string of apparently unconnected injuries: he dwells on the ball and then falls victim to the type of physical play (i.e. tackling the man rather than the ball) that is tolerated by British officials. Either he needs to distribute the ball more quickly, or he should move to a country where officials are more protective of players. (Lawless was also falling victim to some robust tackling, but he seems more agile and is possibly more resilient: at any rate, he has a lower centre of gravity.)

I've thought this all along. Welsh protects the ball very well but often using his own body which can be useful for winning fouls if your legs aren't made of chocolate. He isn't going to get any more agile, so needs to learn to move the ball on quickly like you say. He was incredible to watch in Eastleigh, controlled the pace of the game in the first half, looked like a real leader and passed very well. Okay, all of this was against pretty poor opposition, but it's clear the value he adds when fit.

Sean Welsh bossed the game in the first half last night, and the tackle from behind that caused him not to reappear in the second half would have been a yellow card in a competitive game.

He is also a goal threat which is something we badly miss from midfield. I am old enough to remember guys like Ray Farningham and Albert Craig, who both regularly chipped in with goals from midfield.

I think we should be offering Sean a deal until the end of the season, as long as he comes through the next few weeks unscathed, because the games are going to get faster and more physical.

Up there amongst my favourite jags wot i did see play.

... And was thinking similar about Welsh..... potentialy .... Not so much of a goal threat, but a good all-rounder who know's the point of the exercise is to stick the ball in the net. Similarities to Rowson too? One of those players who might realise their talent and shine given a decent run with the right club ( clearly us) at a higher level. Given the length of time he's been out, the hunger to make his mark could possibly see him surpass the great contibutions Albert and Ray gave in Lambie's first top flight 11.

I reckon it's written in the stars.... this is gonna be .... The year of the Sean!

:fan:

Up there amongst my favourite jags wot i did see play.

... And was thinking similar about Welsh..... potentialy .... Not so much of a goal threat, but a good all-rounder who know's the point of the exercise is to stick the ball in the net. Similarities to Rowson too? One of those players who might realise their talent and shine given a decent run with the right club ( clearly us) at a higher level. Given the length of time he's been out, the hunger to make his mark could possibly see him surpass the great contibutions Albert and Ray gave in Lambie's first top flight 11.

I reckon it's written in the stars.... this is gonna be .... The year of the Sean!

:fan:

I was thinking he's a lot like Danny Lennon, my favourite jag wot I did see.

Offer him a deal until xmas. If it looks like he's fine, we can extend it during that period until the summer. I think Sean knows he owes the club, so i wouldn't think he's be hard to deal with.

I don't think Sean owes the club anything. He signed a contract that was offered to him and was unable to play most of the games during that period due to injury. The club take that risk every time a player signs a new deal.

I think (and very much hope) that he will be offered a deal until the end of the season. Remember that he can seek an alternative deal somewhere else if he feels that will give him more security.

Archie will do what's best for the club and the team, not what's best for one individual player. There's no room for any more sentiment with regards to Sean Welsh. Other clubs, other managers may have punted him long before now. He needs to prove he can stay fit and put a run of games together to earn a longer deal.

You could have Messi, Ronaldo and Zlatan in your team - means nothing if you couldn't play them.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 1

Archie will do what's best for the club and the team, not what's best for one individual player. There's no room for any more sentiment with regards to Sean Welsh. Other clubs, other managers may have punted him long before now. He needs to prove he can stay fit and put a run of games together to earn a longer deal.

You could have Messi, Ronaldo and Zlatan in your team - means nothing if you couldn't play them.

He was under contract though. The first time Archie could have punted him was the end of last season. I don't think there has been any sentiment shown.

I completely agree with you when you say Archie will do what is best for the club. It is in his best interests to have the best players available and by offering Welsh a deal until the end of August it gives Partick Thistle a chance to 'add' a good player to the squad if he proves his fitness. If it doesn't work out by then Welsh is away and it has only cost the club three months wages.

Edited by Jag