Kris Boyd

To be honest mate I don't think you really need to as pretty sure this thread is a wind up from the original op

Discussing the hypothetical, no matter how ludicrous, has never stopped some folk on here before, TL. The fact that the OP thought this topic worthy of a thread of its own rather than a post in one of the other "transfer threads" suggests it's for real. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone is that sad to get their kicks out of such a lame wind up.

He was very good for Kilmarnock 2 seasons ago. Disaster at rangers. Would be an interesting one. Can't make up my mind on this.

I think that speaks volumes for the training regime at rangers - especially under McCoist. Mind you I think it shows a weakness in Boyd's personality that he could do the work at Kilmarnock but as soon as the opportunity to be lazy came along he took it with both hands. I don't think we can risk him: another club that could afford to carry 3 or 4 centre forwards in their pool might take him on but they'd have to be sure their coaches were prepared to chase him round the training ground with whips.

Are you not usually a bit of a wind up merchant on here mate? Il take the Boyd rumour witha huge inch of salt mate ;-)

I am taking the info with a pinch of salt also but the gent who told me this seemed pretty sure of his source. See how it pans out I suppose.

Edited by The Legend Blows

Archie wouldn't sign Boyd unless he was happy he'd fit into the ethos of the squad. Equally I'm sure Boyd wouldn't join if he wasn't prepared to work on his fitness - he knows how we set up. If we sign him (and I don't think we will) is be confident Archie would get the best from him and he'd fit into our system.

I feel it would be preferable if Archie was to first sign players that would be likely starters and can play the best part of ninety minutes before bringing in squad players. Always assuming we re-sign him I think bringing in Boyd would be a bit of a slap in the face for Chris Duggan.

Duggan seriously? Has he done anything of note to make you think he'll make it? Boyd may or not be useful to us, but he has had a reasonably successful career to date

Edited by jaggy

Kris Boyd, build a team around him etc ...... are brickie's not in short supply these days ? seriously people lol

Fecking has been ! We are meant to be a progressive young team with a great academy to bring youth through.

Kris Boyd !!! GTF Yes the nugget will score 3 or 4 against us whoever he will play for but HELL NO !

Edited by Jaggy1967

Is Duggan under contract for next season?

Undecided about Boyd. If he's the player of 2 seasons ago at Killie that's motivated to prove folk wrong he'd be a great signing.

If he's the Boyd that finished last season with Sevco then forget it.

Whether it's true or not...? Know Killie are struggling worse than us in terms of cuts to budget. Wouldn't think teams like Aberdeen or Scumdee Utd will be interested this time around.

I reckon he'll end up at Morherwell.

Personally I say no but worrying news reaches me tonight from good source via a Rangers supporting chum that we are in discussions. Surely Archie has more brains than to waste our limited budget on Mr Boyd. Really doesn't make sense when Boyd is probably the striker currently unattached who is least suited to Archie's horrible 1 up front/5-5-0 system.

your sevco acquaintance probably knows what your rep on here is, and thought he'd have fun seeing if it could get any lower.

decent effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank fook he's been lumped on killie....

Cannie stand the torn faced bruiser... Just another "ah've aweez wantit tae play furra rangers" bampot.

No arguments he can be effective, but I prefer shouting seven shades of obscenities at a big miserable tumshie like that.

Sure he's a "great guy" if you know him, but i reserve my football fans' right to my ill informed, irrational, face value opinion that he is a five "r" PRRRRR1CK!!!!

:D

I know that I'm probably in a minority but I would have loved to have seen Boyd in a Thistle jersey. I really don't think that much can read into his season with Rangers last year - a season where he still scored double figures in all competitions, mind you - but he guarantees you goals at this level. Boyd would have been invaluable to us given that it's likely we'll be in a bit of dogfight this season - and that's not being pessimist or doom-mongering, just realistic.

I know I'll be in an even smaller minority who would have taken him over Taylor but I suppose it's a moot point now.

I know that I'm probably in a minority but I would have loved to have seen Boyd in a Thistle jersey. I really don't think that much can read into his season with Rangers last year - a season where he still scored double figures in all competitions, mind you - but he guarantees you goals at this level. Boyd would have been invaluable to us given that it's likely we'll be in a bit of dogfight this season - and that's not being pessimist or doom-mongering, just realistic.

I know I'll be in an even smaller minority who would have taken him over Taylor but I suppose it's a moot point now.

Would tend to agree with you on most points. Boyd goals basically saved killie two years ago. If we had him that season on that form I reckon we would have finished 7th by a mile. We were playing great football but struggled to score when it mattered.

I still think I would take Taylor over Boyd. Taylor on a 3 year deal, if we got 2 good seasons out of him then could sell him for a nice fee.

Given our tight budget I just don't think Boyd is worth the risk but I do believe if we could have afforded him it would have been a good signing

The problem we would have with Boyd is that he wouldn't suit our system. The system we play requires the lone striker to do a lot of running and chasing down centre halves. Taylor was brilliant at this, Doolan less so, but Boyd in this system I would say is useless.

Would tend to agree with you on most points. Boyd goals basically saved killie two years ago. If we had him that season on that form I reckon we would have finished 7th by a mile. We were playing great football but struggled to score when it mattered.

I still think I would take Taylor over Boyd. Taylor on a 3 year deal, if we got 2 good seasons out of him then could sell him for a nice fee.

Given our tight budget I just don't think Boyd is worth the risk but I do believe if we could have afforded him it would have been a good signing

I doubt that we're in any position to offer three year deals, unfortunately.

I'm also not convinced of Taylor's resale value; I know he didn't get much of a chance at Sheffield United but he's now flunked at two League 1 sides in England and I don't anticipate many clubs queueing up to part with decent cash for him. That said, if he does sign and helps to keep us in this league before leaving on a free, I don't think many of us would have a problem with that.

The problem we would have with Boyd is that he wouldn't suit our system. The system we play requires the lone striker to do a lot of running and chasing down centre halves. Taylor was brilliant at this, Doolan less so, but Boyd in this system I would say is useless.

Hmm, I know where you're coming from but I've never been convinced by that argument. In fact, I think a decent case can be made that Boyd's game - which is ultimately about sticking the ball in the net - suffered when he was being asked to do the harrying and hustling associated with a lone striker. I might be wrong but I seem to recall him playing the lone role quite frequently in his last spell at Killie and still managed an impressive return although admittedly they were a bit more "agricultural" in style.

I think he could have suited our system although we would have needed to alter one or two things, like a greater onus on the wide players to close down the full-backs to allow Boyd to work within the width of the penalty box.

Unfortunately, I think a Boyd-Higginbotham combination is a winner, irrelevant of whether Locke is a numpty or not.

My view is close to Ian's but I'd maybe be a bit more pragmatic. I think the system we play could be tweaked or even changed considerably to accommodate a proven goalscorer, who isn't noted for mobility. I just don't believe we should be signing 32 year olds (unless as defensive cover like Dowie and Mair).

I take on board Armand 2's comments but to me it looks like it's Archie's philosophy to sign players who should still have their best years ahead of them. To alter the system and break from that philosophy is probably too much. You tend to think of players like Boyd with what they've done in past but they get to an age where there's absolutely no guarantee they can continue anywhere approaching a satisfactory level.