Who Would You Miss?

Auld Jag

I have been thinking about all the players we have on our books, and i would not be sorry if any of them left our club.There is none that ifeel can change the game in our favour or any match winners.I also feel the same about our manager.I have been supporting Thistle for over 50years and i dont remember feeling this way about the club.Is it just me or is there othere who feel the same?

I have been thinking about all the players we have on our books, and i would not be sorry if any of them left our club.There is none that ifeel can change the game in our favour or any match winners.I also feel the same about our manager.I have been supporting Thistle for over 50years and i dont remember feeling this way about the club.Is it just me or is there othere who feel the same?

Fair point . Would be hard to be honest to say the last time we seen a player that looked as if he cared enough to wear the shirt !

That's a bit harsh. Cairney works hard and Flannigan could be a good signing. Our problem is that our senior players (Robbo, Archie, Maxi, Rowser, SID, Jackie Mac) are well into their 30s. The unproven ones (especially Boyle, Doolan, Erskine and Grehan) are not good enough. I hope that they, especially Boyle, come good but have strong doubts.

That's a bit harsh. Cairney works hard and Flannigan could be a good signing. Our problem is that our senior players (Robbo, Archie, Maxi, Rowser, SID, Jackie Mac) are well into their 30s. The unproven ones (especially Boyle, Doolan, Erskine and Grehan) are not good enough. I hope that they, especially Boyle, come good but have strong doubts.

agree 100%

add to our expectations of a guy whos made of glass

i too have been a fan for around the 50 year mark,i have seen a lot worse than than our present staff,but we seem to have ended up with some oldstagers,some younger players who dont look good enough,and a couple of bright prospects from the youth team.i feel that we are overburdened with player/coaches who themselves are not good enough,we seem to have lost totally that enthusiasim the likes of gerry brought with him.i am trying not to be too negative,we dont have the finances of some teams,but even then we dont seem to manage to attract the same calibre of player that teams in a far worse financial position than ourselves manage to do.we tend not to be combative/competitive in midfield,upon saying that david rowson is the best player we have had for seasons.we dont have a player that can change a game,if we get one no doubt we will sell him on before we need to.the club ask the fans to pay up front for season tickets,then they roll out the same old stagers,are people sitting in the directors box not embarrased,as a fan,i am and i wish i could do something about it,i cant,but i think it is about time that our director friends,get their act together,they are the proffessionals,for heavens sake,put up or shut up

I ask nothing more from any team / person that I support than their best efforts. We do not get anything like that from the shower that currently wear a Jags top with a few exceptions like Rowson who will run forever for the cause.

Bursts my arse when I spend plenty following this lot and they do not look as if they care. And yes they do like to celebrate a goal but thats easy!

i too have been a fan for around the 50 year mark,i have seen a lot worse than than our present staff,but we seem to have ended up with some oldstagers,some younger players who dont look good enough,and a couple of bright prospects from the youth team.i feel that we are overburdened with player/coaches who themselves are not good enough,we seem to have lost totally that enthusiasim the likes of gerry brought with him.i am trying not to be too negative,we dont have the finances of some teams,but even then we dont seem to manage to attract the same calibre of player that teams in a far worse financial position than ourselves manage to do.we tend not to be combative/competitive in midfield,upon saying that david rowson is the best player we have had for seasons.we dont have a player that can change a game,if we get one no doubt we will sell him on before we need to.the club ask the fans to pay up front for season tickets,then they roll out the same old stagers,are people sitting in the directors box not embarrased,as a fan,i am and i wish i could do something about it,i cant,but i think it is about time that our director friends,get their act together,they are the proffessionals,for heavens sake,put up or shut up

Paragraphs?

I ask nothing more from any team / person that I support than their best efforts. We do not get anything like that from the shower that currently wear a Jags top with a few exceptions like Rowson who will run forever for the cause.

Bursts my arse when I spend plenty following this lot and they do not look as if they care. And yes they do like to celebrate a goal but thats easy!

There is a big difference between not trying and not being good enough. Robbo, Archie, Maxi, Rowson, Cairney and SID do give their best efforts. McCall's signings in the last year (with the possible exceptions of McNamara, Flannigan and Balatoni) have been very poor. It is either poor judgement or bad management but he must take responsibility for wasting a lot of money.

There is a big difference between not trying and not being good enough. Robbo, Archie, Maxi, Rowson, Cairney and SID do give their best efforts. McCall's signings in the last year (with the possible exceptions of McNamara, Flannigan and Balatoni) have been very poor. It is either poor judgement or bad management but he must take responsibility for wasting a lot of money.

Bad management sounds a good shout. I posted elswhere if not here why was Balatoni replaced ? To me he shows a better level of player than we have currently so why replace him with Erskine ? .. To be honest id rather see McCall put him in a centre forward position than the waste we have currently up front.

I'm always puzzled when folk think players aren't trying. They look like they are trying, could it be they are just not very good and using duff tactics? Unless of course they all come up to you and tell you they ain't trying!

I'm always puzzled when folk think players aren't trying. They look like they are trying, could it be they are just not very good and using duff tactics? Unless of course they all come up to you and tell you they ain't trying!

It's pretty easy to spot a player busting a gut, running themselves ragged trying to find space, always making themselves available and shouting for the ball, and looking for the best pass possible rather than just trying to get rid of the ball. It's pretty easy as well to spot the players who look like a give a damn, but there's a distinct lack of fight in this team. If you're saying you can't read these things then fair enough, but I'd feel a bit happier if there was a bit more movement off the ball, and bit more vocal leadership/encouragement from some of the players, and a bit more spark and fight about them than the usual heads down stuff.

It's pretty easy to spot a player busting a gut, running themselves ragged trying to find space, always making themselves available and shouting for the ball, and looking for the best pass possible rather than just trying to get rid of the ball. It's pretty easy as well to spot the players who look like a give a damn, but there's a distinct lack of fight in this team. If you're saying you can't read these things then fair enough, but I'd feel a bit happier if there was a bit more movement off the ball, and bit more vocal leadership/encouragement from some of the players, and a bit more spark and fight about them than the usual heads down stuff.

This

This

Seconded.

Sorry but I completely disagree with this no fight, no passion stuff.

Anyone who was unlucky enough to still be inside Cappielow when the players were warming down wouldn't agree with this.

It might not look like that from the terraces but the current crop care deeply about losing and respond well to winning.

I suspect inconsistency that comes with having a young team, lack of leadership on the park (I like John Robertson but he's not a captain) a lack of confidence in each other and maybe even trying to play a style of football that is perhaps beyond the players abilities in a league of kick and rush are what's making this team underachieve so far this season.

This

Seconded.

I tend to agree slightly with Argus on this. I certainly don't go along with the collective idea that a team's not trying. Individuals, that's a different matter, but even then maybe a guy often pulls out a tackle one time then busts a gut for the rest of the game. Like it or not if a player is busting the gut and still not getting anywhere he's termed a headless chicken often by the same folk.

For those that say the team weren't trying yesterday maybe you could give some loose specifics. Same tho' goes for any saying they were busting a gut. I'd love to think that our abject failure yesterday was down to lack of heart. Somehow I just don't feel that lack of heart and effort were the main culprits.

I do tho' question the lack of inspiration from our senior players. Rowson, Robbo & Donnelly are all professionals and all go quietly about their business in an admirable fashion. What I feel is lacking from them, and I should add Archie to the list, is that extra drive necessary for proper captaincy. No answers sadly as I can't suggest a prospective candidate. This time last season I'd be suggesting Cairney might have fitted the bill by now but he's no longer even an automatic first team choice.

Really feel it's this captaincy issue that's letting us down more than any team wide lack of effort.

I tend to agree slightly with Argus on this. I certainly don't go along with the collective idea that a team's not trying. Individuals, that's a different matter, but even then maybe a guy often pulls out a tackle one time then busts a gut for the rest of the game. Like it or not if a player is busting the gut and still not getting anywhere he's termed a headless chicken often by the same folk.

For those that say the team weren't trying yesterday maybe you could give some loose specifics. Same tho' goes for any saying they were busting a gut. I'd love to think that our abject failure yesterday was down to lack of heart. Somehow I just don't feel that lack of heart and effort were the main culprits.

I do tho' question the lack of inspiration from our senior players. Rowson, Robbo & Donnelly are all professionals and all go quietly about their business in an admirable fashion. What I feel is lacking from them, and I should add Archie to the list, is that extra drive necessary for proper captaincy. No answers sadly as I can't suggest a prospective candidate. This time last season I'd be suggesting Cairney might have fitted the bill by now but he's no longer even an automatic first team choice.

Really feel it's this captaincy issue that's letting us down more than any team wide lack of effort.

I actually think archie missing could be the problem. I think he leads the side well. Though i do take your point on that we seem to miss a "kinda hardman" in the team......they all seem a bit to nice.

Ever since McCall took over I've been saying we need a hard/dirty bstrd in midfield or central defence that will get right stuck in and nail the oppositions best player in the opening 5 minutes of the game.

I think there is some dig in the team but no-one really leading from the front in a Danny Lennon or Boab mcCulloch manner.

Ever since McCall took over I've been saying we need a hard/dirty bstrd in midfield or central defence that will get right stuck in and nail the oppositions best player in the opening 5 minutes of the game.

I think there is some dig in the team but no-one really leading from the front in a Danny Lennon or Boab mcCulloch manner.

I always remember the Great Lambini proclaming that we needed some 'badness' in the team, then he signed Kenny Brannigan... forever after known as Badness Brannigan. Fitting.

It's pretty easy to spot a player busting a gut, running themselves ragged trying to find space, always making themselves available and shouting for the ball, and looking for the best pass possible rather than just trying to get rid of the ball.

It's so obvious it's unbelivable.

When we were in possession on Saturday there was zero movment from Thistle players to receive the pass.The amount of times we got caught on the ball was incredible.This is an absolute basic of football but as well as the players McCall as manager must take blame for a team so restricted in passing options.WTF do they do at training all week.How some players, who cant move five yards to make a pass easier,become professional footballers baffles me.

I for one would certainly miss Paul Paton if he left for his laughable contributions on the ball.Etertainment guaranteed in speculating at what stage he will drift inside to give a square pass or a backward pass or quite simply lump the ball forward to nobody.Choices are indeed frightening. What a tosser. At least Davie Cooper had a bit of skill with his one-footedness.