Is There A Worse Performing Club In The Cups Than Us?

chunky jag

Obviously speaking relative to the size/stature of the club, we would obviously do better than the likes of Elgin as we are expected to, but when you look at just about every club in the top 2 divisions of our game, our record has got to be amongst the worst.

I've been going to Firhill since 1992, and in that time, we've appeared in 1 scottish cup semi, and unless im mistaken, we've never made it past the league cup quarter final in that time either.

I'm not counting the diddy cup although I should as except for the one year we made the final and bottled it, we've been woeful in that too.

But lets keep it to the major competitions, you've got Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Airdrie, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Hibs, Dundee, Dunfermline, Gretna, QotS, Ross County, Motherwell,St J, ICT all appeared in Scottish Cup finals, Falkirk have been in 3 in that time that I've been a jags fan.

Then when you add in the league cup, again using just the time I've been a fan for an example, you can add in Raith Rovers, Ayr United, Livingston, St Mirren.

So that leaves ourselves and Hamilton Accies as the only 2 SPL teams who have not appeared in a major cup final in past 20 odd years. And when you consider at one point the accies were lodging with us, they've done really well to become an SPL club at all, and they're making a hell of a better fist of it than us at the minute.

Open it up the championship and you've got Dumbarton Morton and Alloa who have not made a major cup final in that time, again 2 of them part time so wouldn't really count them.

Our record really is pathetic in these cups

Obviously speaking relative to the size/stature of the club, we would obviously do better than the likes of Elgin as we are expected to, but when you look at just about every club in the top 2 divisions of our game, our record has got to be amongst the worst.

I've been going to Firhill since 1992, and in that time, we've appeared in 1 scottish cup semi, and unless im mistaken, we've never made it past the league cup quarter final in that time either.

I'm not counting the diddy cup although I should as except for the one year we made the final and bottled it, we've been woeful in that too.

But lets keep it to the major competitions, you've got Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Airdrie, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Hibs, Dundee, Dunfermline, Gretna, QotS, Ross County, Motherwell,St J, ICT all appeared in Scottish Cup finals, Falkirk have been in 3 in that time that I've been a jags fan.

Then when you add in the league cup, again using just the time I've been a fan for an example, you can add in Raith Rovers, Ayr United, Livingston, St Mirren.

So that leaves ourselves and Hamilton Accies as the only 2 SPL teams who have not appeared in a major cup final in past 20 odd years. And when you consider at one point the accies were lodging with us, they've done really well to become an SPL club at all, and they're making a hell of a better fist of it than us at the minute.

Open it up the championship and you've got Dumbarton Morton and Alloa who have not made a major cup final in that time, again 2 of them part time so wouldn't really count them.

That's all too true, unfortunately.

Near the bottom of the league, out of the League Cup to a lower division side before the end of August, almost no shots on target in the games we've played.......and, according to some of the people who've been at the matches, no seeming desire to put up much of a fight. It doesn't auger well.

A Thistle fan on Pie & Bovril did a statistical analysis earlier this year of the Scottish & League Cup performances of the 20 clubs who had at least one season in the top league over the last 20 seasons...5 points for a trophy win, 3 for a final appearance and 1 for making a semi-final.

Your assessment matches his...Hamilton & Thistle were the two sides with the poorest records.

I think it is actually one semi-final since 1979...truly abysmal.

To a degree (seeding nonsense in the League cup notwithstanding) cup success can depend on favourable draws - I think looking at the draws we have had in recent times in all cup competitions might suggest that we are every bit as bad as the progression statistics might reveal.

I see that the "Road to Glory starts tonight" graphic is still on the club website within the Cerny pre-match interview.

At least someone in the club has a sense of humour.

We are masters at building the hype only for team to bottle it/fail to turn up. It has happened several dozens of times in my lifetime. Cases of hype followed by a win must be outnumbered 10 to 1.

ETA: by "we," I mean the club.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Not to take much (if any) away from the conclusion but I don't think you can give any credit to Dundee, in the same way as you couldn't credit Livingston or Gretna, for reaching a final.

Not forgetting Hearts and Rangers your Ladyship :whistling

Hamilton at least have the crumb of comfort that in 1987 Adrian Sprott put the sword to the Souness Sevconians at Castle Greyskull.

Probably our best result in the same period (79 to date) was thanks to Shaggy at Inverness in 2002.

Only to get done by Christian Nerlinger (FFS!!!) in the semi-final.

A goal that should have been chalked off for financial cheating.