Defeat On Saturday Archie Must Go.

Auld Jag

1) What are your expectations as a fan of Partick Thistle? 2) What would you consider to be an acceptable position in the league for us to finish? 3) If we achieved that position, would the same position be acceptable the following season? 4) Where do you think is the cut-off point for a Jags manager is, ie. what game/decision/moment made you believe that Archie is not good enough to be our manager?

I honestly think thiese questions have been answered by me alone on numerous occasions. To be truthful I can't really be @rsed looking for them again but if someone wants to troll my posts & bring them up then be my guest!

This is ridiculous.

What has Craigan done in the game as a manager? Nothing. What has McGhee done? Failed at several clubs. Canning? Took over a high-flying team and dragged them into a relegation fight. Hartley is currently managing a bigger club than Thistle (sorry) and would have zero desire to join us, even if we could afford him, which we can't. He's done nothing exceptional as a manager either, unless you consider winning the Championship exceptional. Which is exactly what Archie did for us.

Archie has kept us in the top division under dwindling crowds while losing his best players and managing one of the smallest budgets in the league.

You don't have a clue, mate.

Que?

Folk calling for Archie's head must have just started supporting the club in the last couple of years, that's the only reason I can possibly think of for why they are carrying on like spoilt children.

Take a look at every manager we have had in the last 30 years. How many have achieved more than Archie? One man, in 30 years! Even at that, Lambie wasn't without his faults and never really laid down any long term foundations at the club. This meant that we always suffered (badly) whenever he left the club.

The difference is that Archie is laying down some long term foundations while keeping the team in the premier league for 3 seasons, and hopefully longer. Only Lambie, in the last 30 years, has managed to keep us in the premier league for longer. If Archie keeps us up this season, on a reduced budget and with crowds falling, he will have equalled Lambie's record.

If we do stay up this season, considering the players we've lost and the budget constraints, it would probably be the greatest achievement by any Thistle manager since Davie McParland. I don't think that's being unreasonable.

So those folk calling for Archie to be sacked, or to leave of his own accord, I thank the lord that you have absolutely no influence on the running of our club.

Some of these posts, they resemble the ramblings of a mad man, where logic and reason have long since left the building, and who's days are spent standing on a wooden block on Sauchiehall Street shouting through a megaphone to anyone who will listen. Entertaining for about 30 seconds before everyone moves on and gets on with their day.

• Like 8

The 'Archie Must Go' faction remind us that we're still in the drop zone and only have 2 wins all season: nothing to get too excited about (my extrapolation). Problem is they don't stick to giving us bi-monthly or quarterly assessments like this, they're at it incessantly after every defeat.

So, I would politely ask them if they'd kindly mind either sticking to measurable periodic assessments, or doing as they're currently doing but according Mr Archibald his due and fulsome praise every time he masterminds great victories such as our last two belters.

Fair dos?

Folk calling for Archie's head must have just started supporting the club in the last couple of years, that's the only reason I can possibly think of for why they are carrying on like spoilt children.

Take a look at every manager we have had in the last 30 years. How many have achieved more than Archie? One man, in 30 years! Even at that, Lambie wasn't without his faults and never really laid down any long term foundations at the club. This meant that we always suffered (badly) whenever he left the club.

The difference is that Archie is laying down some long term foundations while keeping the team in the premier league for 3 seasons, and hopefully longer. Only Lambie, in the last 30 years, has managed to keep us in the premier league for longer. If Archie keeps us up this season, on a reduced budget and with crowds falling, he will have equalled Lambie's record.

If we do stay up this season, considering the players we've lost and the budget constraints, it would probably be the greatest achievement by any Thistle manager since Davie McParland. I don't think that's being unreasonable.

So those folk calling for Archie to be sacked, or to leave of his own accord, I thank the lord that you have absolutely no influence on the running of our club.

Some of these posts, they resemble the ramblings of a mad man, where logic and reason have long since left the building, and who's days are spent standing on a wooden block on Sauchiehall Street shouting through a megaphone to anyone who will listen. Entertaining for about 30 seconds before everyone moves on and gets on with their day.

You have won Cliche Bingo!!!!

You win................... An Archie face mask.

Shame you already have 100s of them. All with a hole cut out at the mouth.

We don't agree on much IM but you are 100% right. One of the best ever posts on this ridiculous subject.

Edited by Lindau

The Cup - how about replying to the points I've made then if you disagree?

As far as I can see you made 1 point about Archibald being our best manager for 30 years . The rest was unnecessary trolling of fellow fans by calling them spoiled children and mad men.

Archibald has his merits and his flaws. I think he has assembled a decent squad with support from the board but I don't think we see them playing well enough, often enough. I genuinely think someone with better knowledge of the game could get more from the players and help us press on up the league, rather than be in a relegation battle.

IMO Lambie was a better manager than Archibald. We suffered badly when Lambie left because of who we replaced him with each time.

Regarding the spoiled brats. AA said himself that he felt under pressure before the Dundee United game. If we had lost that then a decent number of fans would have been calling for him to go. It clearly wasn't just a few supporters who had just started watching the team.

Anyone who was at Perth on Saturday would have to agree that we saw a fantastic first 45 mins the equal of any of the best Thistle performances of the last 4 years including our promotion team, Archie was being lauded and I for one am so much more confident that we will still be up there in the top flight next season, so please will those who keep baying for Archies blood just shut the f**k up and get behind him and the team, they're doing a great job and deserve our support. Its entertaining and all we really need at the end of the day is decent refereeing and the wins will continue.

• Like 4

As far as I can see you made 1 point about Archibald being our best manager for 30 years . The rest was unnecessary trolling of fellow fans by calling them spoiled children and mad men.

Archibald has his merits and his flaws. I think he has assembled a decent squad with support from the board but I don't think we see them playing well enough, often enough. I genuinely think someone with better knowledge of the game could get more from the players and help us press on up the league, rather than be in a relegation battle.

IMO Lambie was a better manager than Archibald. We suffered badly when Lambie left because of who we replaced him with each time.

Regarding the spoiled brats. AA said himself that he felt under pressure before the Dundee United game. If we had lost that then a decent number of fans would have been calling for him to go. It clearly wasn't just a few supporters who had just started watching the team.

It's nice to see you make some sort of reasonable contribution for once rather than your usual trolling (exhibit A being your previous post).

The reason I refer to you and others as spoilt children is because of the immediate knee jerk reaction after every single defeat, this season, last season, and the one before. Your continual failure to acknowledge where we are, where we've come from, and who got us there is one of the main reasons you have so little respect amongst other posters.

Your point about "support from the board" makes out that archie has only succeeded because he's had money to spend from the board. Again, what planet are you on? He had the lowest budget in the league when we first came up, and since then his budget has been slashed every year. He's hardly been given free reign to rebuild the squad every year.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 1

I don't recall people turning on McCall or Macnamara so quickly after a defeat as people do with Archie, yet he has progressed us year on year with less and less budget.

Maybe some folk just don't like him? There was a poster on the .net days who only posted bile about McCall regardless of the result again probably didn't like him.

I honestly think we are in a bit of a golden age at Firhill, young team trying to play good football in the top league and progressing season on season. We've had too many dark times in the 30+ years I've been attending (Rooney, Lamont, DJ, TheBunnet etc) so maybe I have a bit more reality than some of the youngsters who've only been going last 5-10 years.

• Like 3

The first season I can really remember going to many games was the Dick Campbell Second Division year. Not a clue why that enticed me to come back at all. But since then we've been relatively spoiled with McCall, IMO, starting us on the path to where we are now, McNamara doing well to build on it and now Archie taking us even further. I don't have any memories of Lambie, so for me, Archie is easily the best Thistle manager in my lifetime as a supporter. He's also the only Thistle legend I've seen, having been involved with the club through every single success we've had over the last 15 odd years.

That buys him more patience from me than a different manager might get. It does not, however, mean he is above criticism. There are certainly valid criticisms of Archie as a manager. An apparent inability or unwillingness to alter his tactics in situations where they aren't working would be one. That doesn't mean I'm calling for his head, but equally people should be free to criticise what they see as shortcomings in his managerial abilities.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both extremes in the Archie in/out debate are nonsense. It's ludicrous to only criticise the manager, just as it's ludicrous to only defend him. There is a middle ground, and while I'm very much of the opinion that Archibald is the man for the job presently, that doesn't mean it'll always be the case.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 3

Ian Mac I have not just started supporting Thistle.As I have said elsewhere I started in the late 60s.I want to see Thistle progress as a club as we have done under Archie.The last 2 results have been excellent and I hope we can keep it going.When you see ICT,Ross county and the Accies doing well I don't see why we also cant do well and I hope that is with Archie in charge.

Ian Mac I have not just started supporting Thistle.As I have said elsewhere I started in the late 60s.I want to see Thistle progress as a club as we have done under Archie.The last 2 results have been excellent and I hope we can keep it going.When you see ICT,Ross county and the Accies doing well I don't see why we also cant do well and I hope that is with Archie in charge.

For every ICT and Hamilton there are a bunch of Dunfermlines, Mortons, St Mirrens, Falkirks and Raith Rovers and...... Clydebanks

Not everyone can have it all, all the time

Defo a golden era of a sort

• Like 2

The difference between us and Ross C & ICT is that we are not bankrolled by a sugar daddy, Accies have done well as they reap the rewards of their youth policy, hopefully ours comes to fruition too.

With ICT & Ross C what happens when their owners chuck it? Become another Livi, Gretna or Rangers?

• Like 1

We all want to see the club progress. But I think the club still have a lot of work to do off the park before we can expect to rival the likes of what St Johnstone have achieved recently. But with the potential fanbase we have, it's possible.

We all want to see the club progress. But I think the club still have a lot of work to do off the park before we can expect to rival the likes of what St Johnstone have achieved recently. But with the potential fanbase we have, it's possible.

100% agree.

The off field stuff is so underestimated by many I suggest. It's more than just the digs at Archie that get me on here, it's the sometimes apparently indignant complaints about the unprofessional standards of admin and customer service that do my nut in.

I'm aboslutely not advocating a "shut yer face and suck it up" policy. Some complaints are valid and some concerns and criticisms may be overlooked if people don't raise them. However, like with the team on the park, it is essential that our supporters do not loose any ambition of what we might be able to achive, but maintain a reasonable understanding of what we have to work with, adjust their expectations accordingly, and perhaps display a little more empathy with those at the coal face striving, on our behalf, to realise the potential of the club.

We absolutely must remain vigilant over the running of the club we love, hold to account those who have the privileged, but unquestionably difficult task of raising standards and increasing our chances of success. However, I suggest that the indisputeable improvements made with the club in the round over the last 10years or so, qualify those who have achieved them support with an emphasis on, empathy, respect, encouragement and solidarity.

The fans are every much as important ambassadors for the club as those employed by it. Our influence on executive decisions may not be as strong as we individually might desire, however, for many on the outside looking in, from the press and radio pundits to fans of other clubs, we are Thistle. A team divided is weakened. It's not just the board, management and players that have the responsibility of maintaining unity.

We're doing ok. The potential is definately there. It's ok to disagree on how we do it, but we must all keep pushing and pulling in the same direction. The momentum may have stalled a little, but we are still a club on the rise, year on year improved final placing. Let's not predict a retreat before it happens, even if we can arguably afford to, or have to take our foot off the gas a little. Don't give up!

It might be baby steps for a while, and possibly a few wee falls as we find our balance. I'd argue that is prefereable to a huge leap of faith. I'm not convinced of our security in the top flight. I am convinced we're tackling the challenge more sensibly this time than before. Did Jim Oliver realise the vision of a 15000 seater 4 stand Firhill in the 90s? No. Did the rush and expense of refurbing the stadium to meet the 10000 seat rule benefit us in the long term? No. ... Are we able to survive this year? Possibly. And that's worth cheering about.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 5