allyo

From BBC rumours...

"Scottish football bosses are to hold talks with Uefa this week as they seek permission to implement a radical overhaul of the Challenge Cup to include teams from Northern Ireland and Wales, plus some of Britain's top youth players. Scotland's lower league clubs could be joined by two teams each from Northern Ireland and Wales, while the SPFL also hope to attract English Premiership under-20 sides."

I want to know, are these the same Scottish football bosses who insisted that Scotland couldn't participate in a UK team at the olympics as it threatened our independent status in football?

From BBC rumours...

"Scottish football bosses are to hold talks with Uefa this week as they seek permission to implement a radical overhaul of the Challenge Cup to include teams from Northern Ireland and Wales, plus some of Britain's top youth players. Scotland's lower league clubs could be joined by two teams each from Northern Ireland and Wales, while the SPFL also hope to attract English Premiership under-20 sides."

I want to know, are these the same Scottish football bosses who insisted that Scotland couldn't participate in a UK team at the olympics as it threatened our independent status in football?

Probably not, since the Challenge Cup is an SPFL competition, and the national teams are run by the SFA.

It's still an absolutely dreadful idea though.

I have a better idea for the Challenge Cup ..... Scrap it.

It was always an interference with the important competitions and I don't think that any club made any money unless they got to the final

(Will Rangers get another star on their badge if they win this year ?)

I think it's quite a nice wee competition, and a chance for lower league clubs to win something which they simply wouldn't get otherwise.

Content of this thread is a relief. When I saw the first line I thought that our supine Scottish football authorities were planning to shoehorn this season's Challenge Cup winners (could be Sevco) into the UEFA Cup next season in place of one of the usual qualifiers based on league (ie Premiership) position!

Don't give them ideas!

I'd like the Challenge Cup remain in its current format, for another few years at least, so that sevco can finally win it over the coming 6 or 7 seasons. I wouldn't grudge them that, regardless of how many goes they had at it.

I admire your optimism, but sadly I think this will be there last chance to win it

I think we need to be careful here.

We all claim to want change in Scottish Football, yet every new idea seems to get instantly dismissed out of hand without any consideration.

What's so ridiculous about this idea? Chance to play teams our clubs wouldn't normally play, a bit of variation in the game, something that we have all been calling for. If a fan had came up with this idea I think the reaction would be very different.

The only issue I can foresee is travel costs for the smaller clubs - but surely it's not outwith the realms of possibility that a sponsor or the governing body would be willing to subsidise this initially?

I think some people have just got in to the habit of blowing their top every time the governing bodies suggest anything at all. Granted, they have been grossly incompetent in the past but let's take each suggestion on it's merits before instantly dismissing the very things we have been crying out for.

Edited by ian_mac

I think we need to be careful here.

We all claim to want change in Scottish Football, yet every new idea seems to get instantly dismissed out of hand without any consideration.

What's so ridiculous about this idea? Chance to play teams our clubs wouldn't normally play, a bit of variation in the game, something that we have all been calling for. If a fan had came up with this idea I think the reaction would be very different.

The only issue I can foresee is travel costs for the smaller clubs - but surely it's not outwith the realms of possibility that a sponsor or the governing body would be willing to subsidise this initially?

I think some people have just got in to the habit of blowing their top every time the governing bodies suggest anything at all. Granted, they have been grossly incompetent in the past but let's take each suggestion on it's merits before instantly dismissing the very things we have been crying out for.

Travel costs are a big one. If they could be subsidised then great, but if not then I feel it would be ridiculous to ask small clubs to fork out to travel to Wales or Ireland for a game.

The idea of having English Premiership under 21 sides playing in it which I saw mentioned is ludicrous, as they'd obviously wipe the floor with our teams. Have they, or indeed any Welsh or northern Irish FA officials, even been consulted or is it just the SFA saying it? I can't imagine Chelsea or man united being too keen to send their young players to stenhousemuir on a Tuesday night.

Furthermore, if this kind of competition was to happen, then why should it replace the challenge cup? Why is there a need to get rid of the only cup lower league sides have a realistic chance at?

I think there's the basis of an alright idea for some cross border competition there, but this suggestion isn't one I'd like to see implemented.

• Like 1