Dundee United Yesterday And Upcoming

jagfaelivi

Weather update from Kelvindale (2 miles from the ground). Currently some light snow being blown about in a stiff wind. Temperature is showing as 3°. I expect these showers to blow through on and off all day, but there's nothing in them to stop the game being played. (Shower has now passed and the sun's out.) The conditions, however, will be poor with the pitch being sodden and the wind making passing difficult. It'll also be boody freezing for the supporters! I recommend a pair of pyjama trousers under the breeks and a bovril before kick off... Maybe there's something in this summer football idea...

• Like 1

The "history" between us goes back considerably further. They beat us at Firhill and effectively relegated us in 1970. Then there was the play-off in season 95-96..... Their recent bad behaviour confirms that it is not one of my favourite clubs....

Although it was ultimately irrelevant as Dundee won that day, DU also beat us at Firhill on the final day of 1981/2 when a Thistle win could have saved us from relegation. That is what I recall anyway!

There was also the Paddy Connelly non-goal.

Edited by mgow

These decisions are made on a whim by referees. I wouldn't be so hasty is slamming the club.

Not sure that's right DP, the club calls the referee if they think there is a doubt about the game.

Financially it could be a bit of a disaster for the club with about 2000 Dundee Utd fans making the journey down , not sure how many will travel down on a midweek night if they are almost relegated.

• Like 1

I would have thought we were entitled to a reason for the cancellation, not the bland "the referee has decided".

Presumably the referee has given his reason to the club so why not pass that on to the fans?

Is the cause, perhaps, embarrassing to Firhill, or are they trying to stick it to Mr. Dallas by their lack of comment?

Either way it's very disappointing to have another game postponed.

I would have thought we were entitled to a reason for the cancellation, not the bland "the referee has decided".

Presumably the referee has given his reason to the club so why not pass that on to the fans?

Is the cause, perhaps, embarrassing to Firhill, or are they trying to stick it to Mr. Dallas by their lack of comment?

Either way it's very disappointing to have another game postponed.

Read the official site. Club have said the pitch is waterlogged. Not sure what additional info you want?

That was not on the site when I looked at it, nor was it in their Twitter statement at the back of 11.

I stand corrected.

So it's something the club need to get sorted out.

.....and there was me thinking that it was just the ref feeling a bit chilly after their training course in Spain last week!

Read the official site. Club have said the pitch is waterlogged. Not sure what additional info you want?

Currently the weather at Firhill remains dry, with a slight breeze.We will continue to work on the pitch throughout the day and are confident that, if the weather forecast delivers what is predicted, then tomorrow’s fixture will go ahead as scheduled.As ever, we are at the mercy of the weather and will provide a further update tomorrow morning

The weather forecast is exactly what was predicted so some explanation would be nice

We know roughly what the problem is but is it 100% irrevocable? If I've missed a more in-depth communication on this I'd be grateful if someone could point me towards it. If it is a case of someone has had "a look" at it and come to that reasoning for the drainage becoming clogged then I think we should be getting some real investigative consultation on alternatives. The cynical part of me believes this will eventually be used as a reason/excuse to install a plastic pitch at Firhill.

We know roughly what the problem is but is it 100% irrevocable? If I've missed a more in-depth communication on this I'd be grateful if someone could point me towards it. If it is a case of someone has had "a look" at it and come to that reasoning for the drainage becoming clogged then I think we should be getting some real investigative consultation on alternatives. The cynical part of me believes this will eventually be used as a reason/excuse to install a plastic pitch at Firhill.

The stadium as a whole is a complete joke, this unfortunately is just one part of it.

It's not just Firhill that's having pitch problems with the weather. It's rained almost every day, torrentially for 3 solid months and the ground is saturated. The west coast generally gets double the rain that the east coast gets. The football authorities need to get real. It's time to accept that climate is deteriorating i.e. wilder and wetter, as predicted. It's not just about a playable pitch. Anyone watch Dunfermline v. Airdrie on Alba last night? Pitch fine, wind and rain hellish. Game against Dundee a fortnight ago was a farce (no excuse for losing though).

Too many weekends are being wasted when the weather and pitches are better/drier i.e. July-November. Maybe more mid-week games would be better played then as well rather waiting until the pitches are already wrecked by February, having been played on in sodden conditions in December & January. OK, international duty and all that, but we were able to qualify for World Cups when there were no blank saturdays.

IMO, we now need summer football (because of the deteriorating climate), a bigger shorter league of 16 teams, with strict alternating Home and Away fixtures. If we continue to play through the winter, artificial surfaces will eventually become compulsory, although the thought of watching football as seen on New Douglas Park every other week might just make me decide to chuck it.

The attendances at up coming re-arranged mid-week league fixtures are going to be very interesting. That's if they're actually on in, considering even more cr*p weather is being forecast.

• Like 3