Dundee United Yesterday And Upcoming

jagfaelivi

Long gone are the days of football being a "man's game," with them simply getting on with slogging through muddy pitches with leather boots.

Despite it being the referees decision to call the game off (unnecessarily I think), the board is going to have to make some decisions about how to improve the worsening situation. The City End being a massive grass embankment isn't going to help much either with the water running under the soil and onto the pitch. Revenue severely affected. Full hospitality, and a large home and away support will be exchanged with a mid-week match that will see a vastly reduced attendance.

• Like 1

Today and the last couple of months of postponements sums up all that is wrong with football in Scotland. Attempting to play at a terrible time of the year in terms of finances and weather for everyone, and also terrible pitches.

The Winter Break next year is very welcome.

Edited by Hankey

There's a fair possibility of adverse weather conditions in Scotland anytime from October to April...but I suspect that if you did a statistical analysis, you would find that the end of January/early February is the most likely period for watching and playing football to be an endurance rather than an enjoyment.

A Winter Break at this time of year seems a sensible idea. There are practical difficulties in switching to Summer Football and in any event there are plenty of free midweek and Saturday dates in March and April when games could be fitted in...and there is no reason why more fixtures can't be played in May.

I'm hoping that the game against Motherwell is Tuesday night is postponed...I can't go anyway but I'm not desperately keen to sit on a freezing cold night in February watching a game on a sodden pitch which will ruin the playing surface for the rest of the season.

I've checked our fixture list - the only home game down for a Saturday is against Kilmarnock on 2 April - I'm disregarding the Celtic game as I tend to avoid Old Firm games and it may well be switched anyway.

I'm not sure if Scottish Football could be organised in such a way to make it less attractive to it's customer base.

• Like 2

I’m not sure what the solution is to reduce postponements or to ensure standards of football are not affected by the adverse pitch conditions. Certainly this latest postponement will not help Thistle as the rescheduling resulting in the ‘cramming’ of fixtures into a shorter period can only adversely affect results to a team with such a threadbare squad. Injuries may ensure key players will miss twice as many matches.

A winter shut down in theory will work in a country where the weather is predictable – it really isn’t in Scotland and I’m sure we will have many occasions when shutdowns are in force when the weather is practicable for football and closes just when the rotten weather is upon us.

Summer football, again, in theory sounds good but will inevitably lead to lower crowds as football will be in competition with other summer pursuits – holidays, golf, cycling, hill walking, gardening etc etc. For me football is a winter sport.

The other alternative is artificial pitches – the Kilmarnock one appeared ok to me but I’d rather see the next generation of surfaces before I’d want them installed at Firhill.

There's a fair possibility of adverse weather conditions in Scotland anytime from October to April...but I suspect that if you did a statistical analysis, you would find that the end of January/early February is the most likely period for watching and playing football to be an endurance rather than an enjoyment.

A Winter Break at this time of year seems a sensible idea. There are practical difficulties in switching to Summer Football and in any event there are plenty of free midweek and Saturday dates in March and April when games could be fitted in...and there is no reason why more fixtures can't be played in May.

I'm hoping that the game against Motherwell is Tuesday night is postponed...I can't go anyway but I'm not desperately keen to sit on a freezing cold night in February watching a game on a sodden pitch which will ruin the playing surface for the rest of the season.

I've checked our fixture list - the only home game down for a Saturday is against Kilmarnock on 2 April - I'm disregarding the Celtic game as I tend to avoid Old Firm games and it may well be switched anyway.

I'm not sure if Scottish Football could be organised in such a way to make it less attractive to it's customer base.

Spot on. Added to the fact many folk are skint throughout January.

Motherwell draw and Hamilton beat Killie. Would have rather seen a defeat for Motherwell and draw Killie/Hamilton however Killie getting beat is good. We really need to beat Motherwell when we play them though it is looking at the moment that Killie may be the form team for relegation play off spot. Things are very tight though and we definetely need to pick up points from our games in hand - I notice we now have 3 games in hand over Killie, can't afford to waste them.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Folk on here commenting on how games are on and games are off in the Glasgow area. We can all accept the weather

has been terrible but we as a PREMIERSHIP club should have a playing surface and adequate drainage system which

matches our top flight ambitions. I thought todays match been called off was farcical and again has cost the club important

revenue.

Pollok played a home match today. Same weather in Pollkshaws/Newlands never sure the exact area as Maryhill.

Newlands - where Morrison's is now used to be Newlands tram depot - not sure if that settles it though...

I've always assumed anything south of the railway bridge is Newlands - could be wrong though.

That's Petershill, astroturf and the Central League. Really poor show from Thistle today to be honest.

How do you know that the pitch was not actually playable and the ref made a bad decision? Lets remember how after the Ross County we were commenting on his inability to get decisions correct on the pitch so whats to say he is any better at making decisions about a pitch?

That corner of the park at the city end of the JHS has been an issue for years even decades. If it was an easy and cheap fix I'm sure it would be done, but if (as seems the case) it's actually water rising from the canal leakage it could be very difficult and expensive to sort.

If the long term plan is to stay at Firhill it will need fixing (like 80% of the rest of the ground) before it gets worse

• Like 1

Disappointing that ours was again the only unplayable ground in west-central Scotland (ok Ayr was off but not sure if that was waterlogging) - even Dumbarton's match was on and it is almost in the river - and high tide was about 4 ish too.

If I am not mistaken water-logging at Firhill has got considerably worse since the big wall in front of the shed was taken away - perhaps it acted as a dam to stop the canal seeping down to the ground.