Doolan And Pogba

kmak

I think Archie missed an opportunity today by not putting Pogba upfront with Dools at halftime ,

The ball was not sticking upfront in the first half and we only had one shot on goal ( Welsh )

Sometimes we just need to go for it and have a go

I'd like to see the 2 of them start against hearts and Aberdeen

If Pogba is fit enough to start then pairing him with Doolan is an option. I'm not sure tho' we'll play three at the back against Hearts and imo that's the only formation where we're equipped to play two upfront. I did tho' think that subbing Doolan ahead of Lawless didn't work out.

We'll play 7 at the back at Tynecastle if today was the example.

3 central defenders

2 full backs

2 holding midfielders

• Like 1

Got to be honest I don't really see anything else but nuisance value from Pogba , even when he came on today , plays as a stationery striker , no real movement at corners , no pace and not a goal scoring threat at all.

I hope Archie re evaluates that nonsense today , gets pace and some flair into the team and let's give others a chance like Aiden Nesbitt and see what they can offer. Absolutely no point in having a pool of players if you're not going to freshen up sometimes whether that's due to bad form , injuries etc , an example being Ryan Edwards he's not really been given a proper chance to see if can handle the hustle and bustle of Scottish Football . He's played at a decent level down South and is Australia' s under 23 captain so you've got to assume there is some ability there but like others that Archie has signed before ( George Moncur etc ) never given a proper run of games in the team to show what they can do instead we go with the tried and trusted as before regardless of form Sean Welch being a perfect example at this moment in time .

• Like 2

Agree with JLS.

It appears we now have a decent pool with no injuries. The subs are desperate for a go and should be introduced for the hearts game.

I suspect Archie will be happy with 0-0 or a 1-0 defeat so we don't face the ignominy of a thrashing. So after yesterday I will not be going.

Pogba may not be the greatest but he caused mayhem enough to present Amoo with a golden chance.

So let's see doolan with some support. I am fed up feeling sorry for him.

hoofing high balls to Dools isn't working , not our style anyway, Pogba IMO isn't a footballer , he hustles and bustles and now and then the ball breaks off his foot to the right man , think I'd like to see us playing the same brand of passing football that won us promotion , so, where is it Archie ?

hoofing high balls to Dools isn't working , not our style anyway, Pogba IMO isn't a footballer , he hustles and bustles and now and then the ball breaks off his foot to the right man , think I'd like to see us playing the same brand of passing football that won us promotion , so, where is it Archie ?

Can't blame you for feeling that way about Pogba but his 28 mins against Motherwell was textbook stuff. I may be exaggerating but I don't think he made a single error last Tuesday.

Your main gist about brand of football perhaps excludes players like Pogba tho' we did use Steven Craig extensively when winning the league. Craig may have been the more proficient goalscorer at that level but in style of play there's little to choose tho' Pogba perhaps more effective in the top league.

Just thought I'd stand up for the big fella.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Pogba IMO isn't a footballer , he hustles and bustles and now and then the ball breaks off his foot to the right man,

think I'd like to see us playing the same brand of passing football that won us promotion , so, where is it Archie ?

Now and then the ball breaks off his foot to the right man? I take it you either weren't at the motherwell game, or you've just got an opinion and are blind to anything thats going to sway it.

Would you forgoe our top division status, if it meant returning to that style of play? i think everyone would love to watch us playing like that again. but have you considered that on our current budget, its not possible to get the players in that will allow us to do that AND avoid the play off place?

On tuesday night we had our best period of the match after Pogba was intrduced. He held the ball up allowing us up the park linking well with support, also caused a lot of panic in the Motherwell defence. My one concern with the big man is his fitness, can he stay injury free, i don't think in anyway he is better than or even equal to Doolan. If used properly by Archie as a sub, bringing him on for the last 15 or 20 mins alongside Dools could work. I just hope he can produce more peformances like tuesday and it wasnt just a good game, if so he could be a useful player in the last few twitchy games of the season.

We saw what happened on Saturday when we buggered about with the formation. Can we not just stick to what was working, which is 1 up top. The problem is the midfield sitting too deep and not creating enough, which we can sort out with a change of personnel. Leave the Doolan Pogba combo for when we need to chase a game, but start of by doing what we were doing well.

The problem with 1 up is that it doesn't work when all your midfielders aren't at their best!.Nobody who's watched Thistle in the last few seasons could possibly disagree that our la k of goal threat has been our single largest defect.

Further, I am less than enthralled by the prospect of going to Tynecastle and essentially 'parking the bus'-come on with all due respect this is Hearts we're talking about not Barcelona!

Nobody who's watched Thistle in the last few seasons could possibly disagree that our lack of goal threat has been our single largest defect.

Except last season when we scored 48 goals, which was 9 goals less than the 2nd placed team, 3 less than the 3rd placed and 14 more than the club that finished 4th.

• Like 1