Best Option For Pitch

Fawlty Towers

Artifical Pitch or Not  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Install an Artifical Pitch

• Yes
    • No

It would seem a hasty solution to the wrong problem if artificial turf were installed without having the ground under the surface investigated first, and that might involve commissioning a subterranean survey, not just under the pitch but possibly as far up as the basin. Assuming that leakage from the canal were found to be (at least part of) the problem, then either drainage to divert the seepage from above the pitch or insistence that the canal be kept watertight would be a more effective solution. It is even possible that some measure of seepage would benefit grass growth in particular growing conditions.

while it's not a poll of the entire regular two and a half thousand, or the other two thousand or so semi attendees who attend some games on an irregular basis, it is pleasing to see that this foras members are currently over two thirds firmly against an artificial pitch at firhill. you'd think as a straw poll it is reasonably accurate and reflective of what the entire thistle support would poll if ever quizzed by the board on this subject.

in summary, sort the quagmire out come end of season !!!!!

suggestion ..... while not ideal, if we can get into top six before split, could we ask the spfl to approve us playing our post split home games back to back, then finish our season with consecutive away games? ..... with early season start next season, we need to get as big as window as possible over the close season to dig down deep and extensively to fix this issue and then get a pitch laid and ready in time for the new season.

Do Hibs not have a hybrid pitch?

That for me would be the best solution but also the most expensive and also subject to a drainage survey at Firhill. Other than that, my gut feeling is that the pitch will be re-seeded in the summer and we'll all just cross our fingers and hope that next year there'll not be as much rain...

A hybrid pitch would be good though.

In pub with Aberdeen fans on Friday. Everybody's opinion was summer football on grass, even wet summers are no way as bad as it has been since November. But we also agreed that no chance of happening as since when do the ptb do what the fans actually want not what they tell the fans they want

lib,

There is a need for drainage. The problem is probably the undesoil heating which would have to be removed to allow that to be rectified. We could be looking at a hugely expensive solution.

Frankly, as a club, we need to resolve this waterlogged pitch once and for all, although, that said, at the last home game I nearly suffered hypothermia. It is frankly ridiculous to expect fans to turn out in conditions that would make a penguin blanch.

"Interesting" article indeed. What does Archie mean by a one off? A season where there have been four (so far) postponements? And, we've not had any problems since the Warriors left?

Some thing does need to be done and not just about the pitch. At the Motherwell game I really felt that we were getting punished for being football supporters.

Edited by scotty

In pub with Aberdeen fans on Friday. Everybody's opinion was summer football on grass, even wet summers are no way as bad as it has been since November. But we also agreed that no chance of happening as since when do the ptb do what the fans actually want not what they tell the fans they want

Aberdeen doesn't get a summer.

Still no one addressed the problem of reseeding. I accept re-turfing could be carried out during a non summer break but I assume that would only favour the wealthier clubs.

The only way you can justify a switch to summer football would be either an increase in attendances or some super duper TV deal. I can only speak for myself and two or three others I see regularly at Firhill. I'm at retirement age and as such it no longer bothers me when we play but for much of my adult life there would've been no way I'd have been able to justify buying a season ticket if we played thru the summer. Between holidays, pastimes and other activities there would simply be too much of an overlap. That of course wouldn't just have affected me but my laddie would more than likely not have become a Jags fan and so on.

Putting aside the demand factor it should also be pointed out that regular flooding doesn't just occur in the winter months. While the chances of postponements are vastly reduced during other seasons there's still every chance that games could still be played under dreadful conditions.

I think your last point is very important LIB. We live in a climate where bad weather is the norm throughout the year. The problems we are having just now with the pitch haven't been caused by freezing conditions, they've been caused by rain. We can get rain at any time of the year in this country.

It's also worth noting that summer football as practiced in Scandinavian countries means that their pre-season is almost double the length of ours. The clubs in Scotland could not survive for 4 months without an income.

So if we were to move our increasingly short pre-season to the winter months, we would still find ourselves playing in October, November, December (I'm assuming that our pre-season would be January/February or December/January). So even then, there's no guarantee of avoiding the adverse weather conditions.

I think your last point is very important LIB. We live in a climate where bad weather is the norm throughout the year. The problems we are having just now with the pitch haven't been caused by freezing conditions, they've been caused by rain. We can get rain at any time of the year in this country.

It's also worth noting that summer football as practiced in Scandinavian countries means that their pre-season is almost double the length of ours. The clubs in Scotland could not survive for 4 months without an income.

So if we were to move our increasingly short pre-season to the winter months, we would still find ourselves playing in October, November, December (I'm assuming that our pre-season would be January/February or December/January). So even then, there's no guarantee of avoiding the adverse weather conditions.

Norwegian too league has 30 teams so 15 home games. Starts late April ends October and has a 3 week summer break. Re-seeding doesn't seem a problem for most with real grass Viking struggled because of the height of the stands (bowl ground).

Generally Scandanavian teams do better in Europe as they are match ready when it kicks off. Attendances are generally higher but not sure if that's due to the summer league or less games to dilute your pay packet.

Aberdeen doesn't get a summer.

Still no one addressed the problem of reseeding. I accept re-turfing could be carried out during a non summer break but I assume that would only favour the wealthier clubs.

The only way you can justify a switch to summer football would be either an increase in attendances or some super duper TV deal. I can only speak for myself and two or three others I see regularly at Firhill. I'm at retirement age and as such it no longer bothers me when we play but for much of my adult life there would've been no way I'd have been able to justify buying a season ticket if we played thru the summer. Between holidays, pastimes and other activities there would simply be too much of an overlap. That of course wouldn't just have affected me but my laddie would more than likely not have become a Jags fan and so on.

Putting aside the demand factor it should also be pointed out that regular flooding doesn't just occur in the winter months. While the chances of postponements are vastly reduced during other seasons there's still every chance that games could still be played under dreadful conditions.

Or maybe a drastic drop in attendances?