Well Done Gary Harkins

yoda-jag

Imagine we had not been saved until after we went bust. Imagine, for a moment, that some rich fan had then stood up, at that moment and saved us from obliteration.

Could we have claimed our history, or not?

I think, as a fan, I would have. I would have seen 1921 and 1971 as part of our history, no matter what financial disasters has happened to us since then.

We were within a baw hair of being liquidated. The fact that we are now reasonably secure in our identity is down to the Weirs and Kingsley Capital. Neither of whom were around back during the dark days of our potential death as a football club.

Imagine we had not been saved until after we went bust. Imagine, for a moment, that some rich fan had then stood up, at that moment and saved us from obliteration.

Could we have claimed our history, or not?

I think, as a fan, I would have. I would have seen 1921 and 1971 as part of our history, no matter what financial disasters has happened to us since then.

We were within a baw hair of being liquidated. The fact that we are now reasonably secure in our identity is down to the Weirs and Kingsley Capital. Neither of whom were around back during the dark days of our potential death as a football club.

Nope ... yer deid right....

Furthermore.... I would not just have retained the claim to our '21 & '71 cup final victories, but also our record of competing for the majority of our existence in the top flight.

Any excessive, clearly jealous and vindictive punitive measures imposed by our naive peers, like insisting our club should rebuild from the bottom rung of the professional senior league structure, would be cause for severe grievance.

My concerns, I hasten to add, would not be solely from some vainglorious view of our own stature, but also for the potential armageddon scenario the whole of Scottish Football would inevitably face without a strong Partick Thistle.

No doubt, we would handle any punishment, however spiteful or apparently opportunistic, with dignity and humbly restructure, maintain our world famous and envied sporting practices and ground breaking footballing advances, with a more prudent fiscal plan, rise effortlessly through the divisions, and return, phoenix-like, to save the ailing Scottish game from the absurdity of the diddy teams and their pettiness, at the first time of asking.

We are the THEESEL!!!!

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

During the most recent court case (not sure about what or whom as, to be honest, I've given up trying to follow follow the Gers through the courts) the judge asked, "So you mean a football club is an IDEA?" and, of course, he's right. It doesn't matter when the company was formed or who owns it, a football club is an idea shared by a group of people. So Rangers fans can easily claim that their team today is a continuation of the Rangers teams of yesteryear. But what they can't do is whine that their club has been a victim of vindictive behaviour from the rest of Scottish football. They genuinely seem to think that Scottish football put the boot into THEM, when any reasonable person would see that they have abused football in Scotland for years, in fact for the majority of their existence with their sectarian behaviour. I know some perfectly reasonable Rangers fans, but the public face of the club is of a tribe of Union Jack waving neanderthals with a sense of grievance and entitlement and some deeply foul sectarian attitudes. So if Gary Harkins wants to wind them up, gawn yersel son.

• Like 1

Feel it's important to point out that Dundee weren't LIQUIDATED twice, or even once. They were in administration twice, and were severely punished the 2nd time.

The principal reason they survived the first administration was due to the low land value of Dens. The taxman reluctantly agreed to some forty year pay back scheme, which in turn enabled the Dundee Utd fella to step in. That's a tad simplified but had major supermarkets or the likes been keen on the land the taxman would've had the ground sold.

On the subject of Sevco and links to the old Rangers. See Barry Ferguson trying the old tax dodge at Clyde also. Take the man out of Sevco but cant take Sevco out the man. It was funny though in that story that because Clyde got beat in the affected match it was seen as not giving them an 'unfair sporting advantage'. Rangers won leagues and cups, so how is that not deemed as 'unfair sporting advantage' then?

Well done Gary Harkins though, its been said out of jest but how anyone of the sevco mentality can find that story overly offensive is beyond me.

I hope Dundee beat them because the last thing I want is the two wrong yins to meet in the Cup Final, that would be a disaster

The principal reason they survived the first administration was due to the low land value of Dens. The taxman reluctantly agreed to some forty year pay back scheme, which in turn enabled the Dundee Utd fella to step in. That's a tad simplified but had major supermarkets or the likes been keen on the land the taxman would've had the ground sold.

That was a pity.

The difference between Rangers and other Scottish clubs that go bust or avail themselves of insolvency protections before rising or re-emerging in new legal form is that they gained a competitive advantage by their financial cheating to the extent that they were actually winning trophies. If the Jags had gone bust in 1998 it wasn't because we spent too much to beat Celtic 4-1 or to clinch the Tennents Sixes.

Wanting to hold on to the history of your club and historic achievements is completely understandable, but in the case of Rangers, the titles were straight-up tainted. They wouldn't have just not won them without their tax exploitation; many other clubs wouldn't have spent beyond their means just to play catch-up in the process. As a Club, alongside their somewhat more fiscally prudent East-End neighbours, contaminated our game with stupid money for at least three decades and fundamentally weakened the foundations of professional and grass roots football in this country, pulling clubs further away from their communities and holding back the product as a nation-wide community project.

That is why they're worse than Dundee, stupid as their spending was. That is why they're worse than Motherwell, fortuitous as they were with rules. That's why they're worse than Hearts, who took their medicine, reconnected with their Club's fundamentals in its fans and came back stronger for it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did Airdrie fans make the same kind of fuss or did they just accept that Airdrie United was a different club than Airdrieonians? To be fair there was a much clearer difference between the two in that instance.

I always made the distinction between the old Airdrieonians and Airdrie United in the programme and did so without so much as a second thought. I'm glad I was never in the position of having to do the same with the old and new rangers. Like the Livi progamme editor I would probably have been sacked and force into hiding especially when my address in the east end of Glasgow was discovered :-)

Lets face it most non Celtic fans aren't really bothered, the real test will be the first Celtic v Rangers next season and what the Celtic programme prints.

Lets face it most non Celtic fans aren't really bothered, the real test will be the first Celtic v Rangers next season and what the Celtic programme prints.

really? plenty thistle supporters and other non green arse cheek supporters i know are firmly of opinion the club formerly known as r*ng*rs died in 2012 and the club that now operates out of ibroke is a club with less than four years history ..... regardless of what the new club is supposedly called or who they pretend to be.

• Like 1

really? plenty thistle supporters and other non green arse cheek supporters i know are firmly of opinion the club formerly known as r*ng*rs died in 2012 and the club that now operates out of ibroke is a club with less than four years history ..... regardless of what the new club is supposedly called or who they pretend to be.

Good for them. Personally not remotely interested - only really care about my own team these days.

Edited by Vaila Street
  • Like 2