Thistle Vs Accies

allyo

saw the penalty in the Aitken suite after the game and while it was hard to say during the match having seen the highlights thought it was never a penalty

Just saw the penalty again on Goals on Sunday. I always judge penalties given against us by asking whether I would have been looking for one up the other end if positions were reversed and in that case I would have 100% been looking for a penalty. Just as I thought at the game, why in Gods name did he go with his feet and as for the second, he was as slow coming off his line as I thought at the time!

Quite a bonkers game in many ways. I mean that in a not unhappy way. Strange watching any Jags game these days that isn't a 'must win.' Very happy that young Penrice got MotM - very mature playing style, imo, and if we can hold onto him for a few years, he could be an exceptional player for us. All the good basic stuff is there: knows when to pass or beat a man; very good with the give and go; good quality crossing and so on.

I thought that though Edwards made one or two poor passes, his overall contribution was excellent. Never goes missing when we need men back in a hurry and runs very well off the ball when we're looking to build an attack. He's always looking to be an outlet, something which usually means the opposition having to send a man tracking him.

Re the Ryan Scully differences of opinion - I'm sorry, but he doesn't seem to give any indication that he's chapping on the door to displace the No. 1 choice whoever that is. Cerny is of course light years ahead of him in the pecking order, but I would always expect to see the No. 2 looking to put a challenge in for the right to start - ain't gonna happen any time soon, if at all. Thing is for me, Ryan has to be one of our current longest serving players, his loan outs notwithstanding. I'm sure I remember him playing once or twice under McCall. In relative terms, that's a long time to still be developing.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. After the horrific start we had, we can all be very proud of how things panned out overall. Archie and Shaggy really have done us proud and I feel a debt of gratitude towards them. Next year will be very interesting, sevco's Premiership debut aside. I think we must be the envy of so called bigger clubs who have flirted with the drop and then crashed, while we've now become a fixture in the top flight. Being totally honest, I would already settle for ninth again next year, without sounding too unambitious. Our time at a serious top six charge and subsequent medals will come and our several years of Premiership football will hold us in good stead.

Just brilliant being a Jag.

• Like 3

If Scully is going to make it he must remember that he commands the 18yrd box, there is only the one other, and that's the centre half. I always support encouragement of the youth development, but MotM for me was Edwards. Pogba fills Piccolos boots with ease, stopping the ball going out for a by kick to header it to the Hamilton man on the penalty spot was pure class. its a concern that there is no one with any clue how to tackle the ball giving the opposition players yards of space and time to pick an option, the plus for us Hamilton were so bad they always picked the wrong option. The thing about this game was not the end of year kick about, its typical of how we have played all season

To be fair to Scully at the penalty, it's not immediately obvious in the highlights and from some angles at the ground, but the ball takes a horrendous deflection and spins like crazy. From the city end it looked like it was going to be deflected out for a corner or goal kick, Scully reacted well once he'd seen the first bounce. For me, the Accies player goes into that challenge looking for one thing and he got it. He literally jumps into it. He's never getting any worthwhile touch on the ball.

...and at the second goal if Brophy had hit it first time and scored, who would we be blaming? I'm not disputing Scully has been culpable, just that he's been taking the flak almost single handed and some horrendous central defending is being largely ignored. I'm fairly certain Cerny would've made the difference in the last two games as much for his organisational ability as his shot stopping. Still Scully is at fault but the overall defending hasn't helped and may have cost us on its own basis regardless of Scully.

• Like 4

I'm very surprised that nobody has yet pointed out Steven Lawless's ponderous contribution to Hamilton's second goal.

He lost possession in an area of the park that the ball shouldn't be lost, and worse it was an unforced error due to poor control. That was the root cause of the goal being lost.

The centre backs were probably already anticipating a forward move when Stevie brought it down; they for sure got taken out by the quick ball forward.

If Sean Wesh has had it in the neck (and rightly so) for losing possession in a number of recent games, then equally Stevie cannot be left blameless for that goal being lost.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I'm very surprised that nobody has yet pointed out Steven Lawless's ponderous contribution to Hamilton's second goal.

He lost possession in an area of the park that the ball shouldn't be lost, and worse it was an unforced error due to poor control. That was the root cause of the goal being lost.

The centre backs were probably already anticipating a forward move when Stevie brought it down; they for sure got taken out by the quick ball forward.

If Sean Wesh has had it in the neck (and rightly so) for losing possession in a number of recent games, then equally Stevie cannot be left blameless for that goal being lost.

^^^^^

Doesn't understand Scully is the scapegoat for all goals conceded.