Ian Mccall And Ayr Utd

Jaggernaut

Yep, so pleased to see wee Corky getting a bit of success. No one should forget that he really got us back on track, then passed on to McNamara, who despite of everything, took us a further step along, then on to the main man Archie who has wildly over achieved what any of us thought was possible. Other than disappointing cup runs (except for Ramsdens) it's been a great time to be a jags fan!

• Like 1

Aye, we've a lot to thank McCall for, particularly in steadying the ship post Bunnet. A feature of his time with us was his signing a string of players who played well for us but lost their way after leaving us. Cairney, Paton, Twaddle, Boyle and Buchanan immediately spring to mind. Storey & McKeown are a couple of others who were useful additions. Got the best out of Tuffey (by introducing a goalie coach) and turned Harkins career around very possibly resulting in saving us from administration. McCall also re-introduced a youth policy, raw by today's level but still responsible for developing Stuart Bannigan.

Of course I'm not blind to the fact that McCall's signings of experienced players were by and large failures and he himself wasn't exactly the greatest of role models but I feel the above considerably outweighs the negatives. And I've not even mentioned a couple of forays into the Ayrshire Juniors.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 3

Aye, we've a lot to thank McCall for, particularly in steadying the ship post Bunnet. A feature of his time with us was his signing a string of players who played well for us but lost their way after leaving us. Cairney, Paton, Twaddle, Boyle and Buchanan immediately spring to mind. Storey & McKeown are a couple of others who were useful additions. Got the best out of Tuffey (by introducing a goalie coach) and turned Harkins career around very possibly resulting in saving us from administration. McCall also re-introduced a youth policy, raw by today's level but still responsible for developing Stuart Bannigan.

Of course I'm not blind to the fact that McCall's signings of experienced players were by and large failures and he himself wasn't exactly the greatest of role models but I feel the above considerably outweighs the negatives. And I've not even mentioned a couple of forays into the Ayrshire Juniors.

I am honestly struggling to remember anything about Stephen McKeown; even his face doesn't look familiar...

I am honestly struggling to remember anything about Stephen McKeown; even his face doesn't look familiar...

Think we converted him from a defensive midfielder into more attack minded. Scored against Old Rangers. Thought he worked hard and assisted in a good few goals as well as chipping in with the odd one himself. Had a few injury problems.

Yup.

Imagine where we'd be now if McCall hadn't signed Doolan...

I went along to Somerset yesterday. There were 4581 paying customers and a few hundred kids got in for free. Great atmosphere from start to finish (and beyond). Absolutely terrible game and Stranraer were the better team, but over the season it worked out about right.

It was a proper Thistle reunion. Stranraer had Mark McGuigan (looked dangerous all game) and Paul Cairney (who looked fat all game, but still leagues better than this level). I wonder how his career would have panned out if he'd stayed with us ...

As well as Stevo, Ayr have Paddy Boyle who's done well this season too. He made it into the League 2 team of the year.

I go along there almost as much as Firhill these days and, alghough it's a bit of a dump, I love the layout way more than modern stadia. It'll be a sad day when / if they ever move.

I went along to Somerset yesterday. There were 4581 paying customers and a few hundred kids got in for free. Great atmosphere from start to finish (and beyond). Absolutely terrible game and Stranraer were the better team, but over the season it worked out about right.

It was a proper Thistle reunion. Stranraer had Mark McGuigan (looked dangerous all game) and Paul Cairney (who looked fat all game, but still leagues better than this level). I wonder how his career would have panned out if he'd stayed with us ...

As well as Stevo, Ayr have Paddy Boyle who's done well this season too. He made it into the League 2 team of the year.

I go along there almost as much as Firhill these days and, alghough it's a bit of a dump, I love the layout way more than modern stadia. It'll be a sad day when / if they ever move.

Scott Robertson and former Thistle youth player David Barron playing aswell.

I'm glad for McCall. He came to us at just the right time and turned things around quite significantly. As said by others, had he not signed, a fat useless drifter called Harkins, and sold him to Dundee for money they didn't have, we would surely have ended up in a very dark place. Likewise, although to a lesser extent, he blagged Twaddle off Falkirk for nothing then sold him back to them for a few bob. Given that Twaddle did a good job for us before going back there, that was a very good piece of business. Then there was his astute interference in Ayrshire junior fitba'. Nuff said.

He stopped the bleeding at Firhill for sure and left us in a half decent state. Given that his gaffers were the Cowans and Hugheses of this world, his achievements were all the more admirable. He deserved future success, and I'm glad he found it with AUFC. Well done, Ian.

• Like 5

Got to agree McCall steadied the ship after the " Bunnet " but the majority of the credit for scouting these players especially Doolan and Erskine should go to the legendary Bobby Dinnie .
  • Like 2

I realise that but to not also give the manager credit is rather churlish. Who appointed Bobby D anyway? Who heeded Bobby D's advice?

I wasn't being churlish LIB and I also didn't say Bobby Dinnie should get all the credit .

Bobby Dinnie was chief scout at PTFC long before Ian McCall became manager ( 1990 - ?') whether Ian McCall reappointed him I'm not sure , I take your point but the majority of the credit IMO not all should go to the chief scout.

• Like 2

I wasn't being churlish LIB and I also didn't say Bobby Dinnie should get all the credit .

Bobby Dinnie was chief scout at PTFC long before Ian McCall became manager ( 1990 - ?') whether Ian McCall reappointed him I'm not sure , I take your point but the majority of the credit IMO not all should go to the chief scout.

JLS you are correct when you say Bobby had been the Chief Scout before Ian McCall came -however he had left around the time John Lambie retired - it was Ian McCall who brought Bobby back and gave him the support and authority to Scout where he saw fit -it was a bold move by both the then Manager and Bobby to target the Juniors as the general view was that the standards weren't good enough - spoke to Bobby today -he is delighted for Ian McCall & not to be forgotten John Henry and has nothing but good things to say about them and our current Management Team - people forget that it was Bobby who signed Archie for the Club when he was 14

• Like 2

These old grounds where you can stand & watch a game have way more character than the new seated ones ever will - can't beat a game at Somerset Park. Even better are some of the junior grounds like Pollok @ Newlandsfield where - wait for it - you can stand, watch a game and have a pint on the terrace & all for under a tenner (or <£5 for concessions)

Don't think you could say that Paton "lost his way". He has played in a Scottish Cup final and been capped since leaving. United lost their way rather than him. If he signs for St. Johnstone I expect he will do a good job for them too.