Women Against Iceland

jagfaelivi

Did anybody watch that?? Scotland totally outclassed and this time it was the distaff side.

BUT please tell me how a country with the population of Edinburgh and little grass do so well at football? The men are in the European finals and the women were in a different League from ours. The women looked like athletes, they could play football and their speed and technical skills were fantastic compared with our lot

Why are we getting no better?

The rise of the international game for both men and women in Iceland has been impeccable. Not only has the men's team proved that their qualification campaigns were not mere "flashes in the pan," but have sustained that level with home grown players. For such a tiny nation they punch well above their weight and deservedly so. Actually puts our national team to shame. Proves once and for all a strong domestic league is not a prerequisite for a strong national team as long as you have a bunch of players who apply their trade abroad and are committed.

I think I was talking about the lack of athleticism first, when I started this thread. But there was a lack of basic skills or technical skills as seems fashionable to say and that's probably what Gordon Strachan has been on about this week.

You see it demonstrated week in week out in our league. An old pal used to say that "he couldn't trap a bag of cement" when being disparaging. We seem to take that extra touch or don't pass to somebody who is being marked reasonably closely for fear of losing the ball.

It's even apparent down south at the top level. Players like da Silva, Pedro and even Sanchez have deteriorated since they've had to "ply their trade" in the Premier League. And don't give me the old story.that "they just can't cope in the greatest league in the world".

Piffle and The Champions League and the Europa results prove beyond all shadow of doubt that La Liga is the top league.

But how do we improve our basic standards? It's good to see Gerry B talking this week about the encouragement being given to kids in his charge to improve their basics. The only way to get better is to practice, and for hours on end. In our league there are loads of professionals who can't even kick the ball properly. How often do we see weak, scuffed shots? And as for at least hitting the target and making the goalie work....... don't get me started!!

Our authorities have no interests in the welfare of our game. Only in the two scumbags. Corrupt basturts

Exactly! The whole game in this country revolves round those two and we are all the worst for it! Annoys the hell out of me when players, who were deemed nowhere near good enough at their old (diddy) club, then join the Toxic Twins and all of a sudden there is a case of mass hysteria in our press to get them into the national squad.

Didn't look a one off to me on Alba. The Iceland women looked from a different planet - fitter, bigger, stronger, more athletic and skilful. Apart from that there weren't many differences!!!

And yet they are still top of the group, not something associated with the men's team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/36408365

yeah and thistle ladies are top of their league, time to sack archie and release all the players we are shit ! pointless comparison

Wasn't a comparison, was answering a post ref them maybe just having a bad day and then added that as a wee fact that you cant deny, surely?

although your post is pointless

Edited by jaggybunnet

lost 4-0 but they'd previously won 5/5 scoring 27 & letting in 2 - so an off day perhaps but still on course for qualification either automatically or one of the six best runners-up - as things stand if iceland were to continue and win the ladies are currently in to spot of the 6 runners up so it's hardly all fekin doon & gloom

• Like 1