The Doublet Bar

The Main Stand

My mate Paul now runs The Doublet and really wants to turn it into a very Partick Thistle friendly pub. I've given him a few pointers as how to go about it. Might take a wee while to establish. He doesn't get to games anymore. Anyhow, if you're in that neck of the woods pre or post match, pop in. He'd be happy to hear ideas. He's the Canadian guy, by the way. Used to front a band called Vera Cruise, who had a single out a few years back called "The Last Time Partick Thistle Won". Good guy!

• Like 1

Got very drunk in there one Christmas in the mid 1970s whilst working on putting in drainage and surfacing the Subway car park.

I was the (very) young site engineer and was working with a great wee squad of roadmen.

Incidentally, they were the only squad I ever worked with who wore clogs at their work in the winter.

They reckoned the wooden soles were great insulation.

On the last working day before Christmas we all decided a wee swally would be in order.

However, we had to maintain a presence on site so we sloped off up to the Doublet in ones and twos.

Since I was almost always one of the twos, I ended up getting more wrecked than the rest.

(plus they'd had more practice at boozing than I'd had at that stage)

Happy days! Must drop back in for old times sake.

Glad to hear it's a Jags shop now.

For a real Thistle look your pal should get Fritz to do one of his murals like the Woodie had in the 90s.

"Lion, Lion Zion, Davy Irons"

How spooky is this. I was just talking about the doublet tonight and friends no longer with us from the seventies. The times we would meet in the doublet go to the game and finish in the doublet then drive home normally with the minimum of six pint or in a good day ten pints consumed. So I say again, here's to you Pete, Dave & Iain, and to all the politically correct AHs out there "ten pints and driving a car" get it right up ye...

Back in the day (the 80s/early 90s) the Doublet did great Jags related marketing.

They kept a season ticket behind the bar.

Before matches, when a group of Jags fans were leaving to go to the game, one of them would be offered the season ticket.

All they had to do was bring it back at full time. Being Jags fans they of course did and ensured custom for the Doublet after every home game.

• Like 2

How spooky is this. I was just talking about the doublet tonight and friends no longer with us from the seventies. The times we would meet in the doublet go to the game and finish in the doublet then drive home normally with the minimum of six pint or in a good day ten pints consumed. So I say again, here's to you Pete, Dave & Iain, and to all the politically correct AHs out there "ten pints and driving a car" get it right up ye...

Better watch. With Theresa May's disdain for human rights legislation and the removal of the need for corroboration all it will take is for statutes of limitations to be repealed and your confession could mean you facing some real time. :lol:<_<

My mate Paul now runs The Doublet and really wants to turn it into a very Partick Thistle friendly pub. I've given him a few pointers as how to go about it. Might take a wee while to establish. He doesn't get to games anymore. Anyhow, if you're in that neck of the woods pre or post match, pop in. He'd be happy to hear ideas. He's the Canadian guy, by the way. Used to front a band called Vera Cruise, who had a single out a few years back called "The Last Time Partick Thistle Won". Good guy!

I really liked Vera Cruise....think Summer of Mars was an offshoot .....

Always liked the Doublet

If he starts getting to games again might help :rocker:

• Like 1

Good news. The Doublet is a lovely wee boozer.

Mibee my mind is playing tricks but didn't they have a 'no football colours' policy a couple of years ago?

Certainly in the Alistair Don years (covers virtually the whole of the Doublet's existence) it would be most unusual to see football colours. Same could be said for the Halt, Blythswood Cottage and the Arlington. Don't think it was one of those rules that needed vigorous enforcing as it was generally accepted as the norm in the area.

Coopers @Great Western Road - we were asked to leave today because we had a teenager with us and we weren't ordering food.

Old guy barman had cheek to say it would be different it was up to him / c'mon the Jags etc.

Would be grateful if anyone could suggest child friendly pubs pre / post match home games, cheers x

Coopers @Great Western Road - we were asked to leave today because we had a teenager with us and we weren't ordering food.

Old guy barman had cheek to say it would be different it was up to him / c'mon the Jags etc.

Would be grateful if anyone could suggest child friendly pubs pre / post match home games, cheers x

Used to go to the Old Schoolhouse on Woodlands Road just at Kelvinbridge Subway Station. About 10/15mins walk from the ground. Not the cheapest, but lots of TV's for whatever game is on, good grub, beer garden, allows kids and are reasonably relaxed about football colours.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

The Landsdowne is family friendly. Nicer than Old Schoolhouse IMHO. Food ok. Used to be better but they have changed menu. Generally a reasonable amount of families and kids in during day.