Under 20's V Clyde Tomorrow

jagfaelivi

I checked the team against the squad on the Clyde FC website and it looks like about 6 first team squad players were in thier team. Of course they may not all be first choices. I guess them not beimg a full strength team gave our boys a real chance but it was still a good performance. It looks like we were totally dominant.

Was talking to a workmate today who is a Clyde fan and he told me a story about when Celtic drew Clyde in the Scottish Cup and Jock Stein announced he was going play their reserve team. The Clyde manager at the time (forgotten his name) said if they play their reserve team so will we! Clyde were on a hiding to nothing, play their first team and no one is surprised if they beat our under 20's, get beat a few days before the league starts, they get criticised and confidence drops. He was happy Barry chose that course of action, their priority is to get out of the 2nd Division this year, not get a few rounds of the Challenge, B&Q, Centenary, Ramsden, Irn Bru, what ever it's called cup under their belt. If tables were turned I would hope Archie would do the same, never the less it's always good to beat the Clyde at any level and I can't remember the last time the senior team did it so well, great second half.

'83 is the answer to that one. The seniors have only done the 5 goal margin 5 times in competitive action:

15.02.1902 Clyde [h] W6-1 (SFL Second Division - game 19)

20.10.1923 Clyde [h] W6-1 (SFL First Division - game 11)

01.01.1927 Clyde [a] W5-0 (SFL First Division - game 21)

19.09.1936 Clyde [h] W6-0 (SFL First Division - game 9)

28.02.1983 Clyde [a] W6-0 (Scottish Cup 4th Round replay)

'83 is the answer to that one. The seniors have only done the 5 goal margin 5 times in competitive action:

15.02.1902 Clyde [h] W6-1 (SFL Second Division - game 19)

20.10.1923 Clyde [h] W6-1 (SFL First Division - game 11)

01.01.1927 Clyde [a] W5-0 (SFL First Division - game 21)

19.09.1936 Clyde [h] W6-0 (SFL First Division - game 9)

28.02.1983 Clyde [a] W6-0 (Scottish Cup 4th Round replay)

Thanks TJB (stats man) must have been the '83 game

We should have won 10-0. If we had only taken our chances 1 st half.

Clyde were one of the worst teams I have ever seen. But some of our young players were superb. Syme, Penrice and Nisbet are ready to make the 1st team now. Perhaps loan spells till Christmas for the latter 2.

The midfield was excellent, specially liked the wee chap Calum Wilson. How old is he? And McCarthy and Docherty both very good. Another season in the U-20's and these boys will be ready too.

I get the impression that the club is being very well run at present.

I think Clyde's approach has a short term mindset. The more U20's teams that beat lower league opposition will just add to the prospect of the "top" colts teams getting included in the league in future years. The best way to avoid this is to put out your best team and give the colts teams a heavy defeat. As it is 5 premiership teams won last night, 3 of which scored 5 times. OK Aberdeen played a Highland league team but us and Celtic played League 2 teams.

I think Clyde's approach has a short term mindset. The more U20's teams that beat lower league opposition will just add to the prospect of the "top" colts teams getting included in the league in future years. The best way to avoid this is to put out your best team and give the colts teams a heavy defeat. As it is 5 premiership teams won last night, 3 of which scored 5 times. OK Aberdeen played a Highland league team but us and Celtic played League 2 teams.

If we were a lower league team I'd hope we'd treat this devalued joke of a competition with the utter contempt it deserves and field our under 10's.

The best way to get this nonsense dropped is to not attend the matches.

• Like 1

Sorry, just remembered a cup replay in the 70's? drew at Firhill, took my young brother to the midweek replay at Shawfield and we won 5-1, great night or maybe it was just a dream. Can anyone remember what cup that was in and when it was?

A Scottish Cup tie against Clyde in 1982/83 season. Drew 2-2 at home, then 1-1 at Shawfield (game abandoned due to floodlight failure), then whipped them 6-0 at Shawfield in the rearranged replay. Lost 2-1 at home in the quarter final to Aberdeen.

A Scottish Cup tie against Clyde in 1982/83 season. Drew 2-2 at home, then 1-1 at Shawfield (game abandoned due to floodlight failure), then whipped them 6-0 at Shawfield in the rearranged replay. Lost 2-1 at home in the quarter final to Aberdeen.

IIRC in our home game draw Nelson had a couple of howlers with cross balls and was generally poor commanding his box. In the final tie game at Shawfield all they did was pump high balls into our box expecting Nelson to flap but he caught just about everything throw at him. With their duff tactics we won comfortably (or as comfortably as you can with Thistle, always expecting something to go wrong).

If we were a lower league team I'd hope we'd treat this devalued joke of a competition with the utter contempt it deserves and field our under 10's.

I agree that it is devalued with the inclusion of the U20's. My point though is that the Powers that be will see every success of those U20's teams as justification of including the U20's in the league set up. In my opinion this is the only reason that the U20's are included.

The sponsors or the SPFL won't care how many turn up to the actual games as long as it gets publicity on the sports channels. As it did last night in Sky sports news with the scores on screen throughout the evening.

Then last night's game didn't help the cause. By miles the most entertaining I've seen this season so far. I would very much doubt any Jags fan that was there would want to miss seeing the U20s in the next round. Pity we'll be unlikely to progress as I expect a few of our more senior youngsters will be out on loan by then.

I've long thought the Challenge Cup should be targeted at part time clubs and thus exclude the 2nd tier as well as the top league. Throw in a handful from the Highland League and the equivalent down here and you've got a decent tournament which no competing club is likely to take lightly. The inclusion of U20s from top league clubs has both benefits and drawbacks. With the conception of something approaching a pyramid system the threat of seeing Sevco. Hearts or Celtic Colts being parachuted into Division Two is now more unlikely. Still with Messrs Doncaster & Regan at the reins you just never know.

To not attend matches involving a Jags team should as always be a personal choice. I'm happy enough to attend and have strong reservations about the competition. Knowing that by attending some of my money, however marginal, ends up in the Firhill coffers helps that decision.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

IIRC in our home game draw Nelson had a couple of howlers with cross balls and was generally poor commanding his box. In the final tie game at Shawfield all they did was pump high balls into our box expecting Nelson to flap but he caught just about everything throw at him. With their duff tactics we won comfortably (or as comfortably as you can with Thistle, always expecting something to go wrong).

Dougie McNab was the goalie.

Huge vote of thanks to the Weir's and everyone who buys a 50/50 for getting us to this stage with our youth teams. And no less praise to Gerry, Scott and all the coaches for their time & dedication and well done to the players for making us all proud to be Jags fans.

• Like 2