Bottom Of The League

Barney Rubble

OK, I'll do it.

I raise the following as a point for debate, and not an excuse for a flame war.

After all the pre-season hype about top 6 finishes, we are tonight below Fake Thistle, Kilmarnock and Hamilton. All of whom we should be waving at from a higher position.

Not so.

We also have a right back whose most significant contribution to date has been on Off The Ball.

We have a defence that is an embarrassment - no two ways about it. Look at the goals lost.

Next up Motherwell- and our record against them is - honking.

Where do we go from here?

You are entitled to your opinion Barney but I honestly don't see things as being as bad as you paint them. Trust in a manager who steadied the ship when he got the job and went undeafeted in the remainder of that campaign. Then he has proceeded to keep us up for 3 seasons without recourse to the playoffs despite other clubs having much larger resourcese at their disposal.

As we saw last season things can turn very quickly and I am confident that if we stick with our team they will do us proud.

You are entitled to your opinion Barney but I honestly don't see things as being as bad as you paint them. Trust in a manager who steadied the ship when he got the job and went undeafeted in the remainder of that campaign. Then he has proceeded to keep us up for 3 seasons without recourse to the playoffs despite other clubs having much larger resourcese at their disposal.

As we saw last season things can turn very quickly and I am confident that if we stick with our team they will do us proud.

I share your confidence in the manager - we have a gem of a guy there for sure - but why do we always have to come from the back of the pack??

i cannot understand the thinking with the defence. Losing Freddy. Dan and Gary without replacements was not a good idea. Ziggy, hasn't done it to date, and Liam will be brilliant - once he cuts out the crappy mistakes which he is too prone to do.

We got lucky last year, but let's face it we are bottom for a reason.

• Like 2

I share your confidence in the manager - we have a gem of a guy there for sure - but why do we always have to come from the back of the pack??

i cannot understand the thinking with the defence. Losing Freddy. Dan and Gary without replacements was not a good idea. Ziggy, hasn't done it to date, and Liam will be brilliant - once he cuts out the crappy mistakes which he is too prone to do.

Lets remember with the defence that we did not just say to Gary & Freddie "thanks and off you go" we did offer them deals which they rejected. Dan basically told Archie he wanted a different challenge but that clearly has not worked out for him. I think Gordon is a different type of full back to Muzzy and without him having a proper pre season he can get better. The recent interview gave people a stick to beat him with. As you say Lindsay will, I am sure, be an excellent defender but at the moment all his mistakes seem to result in goals whilst other defenders in other teams will probably make mistakes but they don't get punished.

I don't agree that we were lucky last season. Lets remember in the first few games we hit the woodwork many times in games which we lost narrowly before starting to take our chances in later games. Also, not aimed at you, but what is it with fans who if we win and the keeper makes a few saves say we got lucky but will slaughter the team if we lose and the opposition keeper has a man of the match performance - is that not then just bad luck?

Keep the faith and I am sure it won't be long until you can take Betty out for a victory dinner.

Barney, I just posted on the Killie v Thistle thread why I think we are where we are just now.

Lets remember with the defence that we did not just say to Gary & Freddie "thanks and off you go" we did offer them deals which they rejected. Dan basically told Archie he wanted a different challenge but that clearly has not worked out for him. I think Gordon is a different type of full back to Muzzy and without him having a proper pre season he can get better. The recent interview gave people a stick to beat him with. As you say Lindsay will, I am sure, be an excellent defender but at the moment all his mistakes seem to result in goals whilst other defenders in other teams will probably make mistakes but they don't get punished.

I don't agree that we were lucky last season. Lets remember in the first few games we hit the woodwork many times in games which we lost narrowly before starting to take our chances in later games. Also, not aimed at you, but what is it with fans who if we win and the keeper makes a few saves say we got lucky but will slaughter the team if we lose and the opposition keeper has a man of the match performance - is that not then just bad luck?

Keep the faith and I am sure it won't be long until you can take Betty out for a victory dinner.

:D

Thanks for the humour, I appreciate it. Betty and Bam-Bam even more so. They are fed up with me kicking Dino every Saturday night at the moment.

Like you, I believe we'll be fine come the season end. I do think there's a frustration creeping in due to just missing out on top 6 last year. We all expected us to come out of the traps with intent this season. Hasn't happened so far.

:D

Thanks for the humour, I appreciate it. Betty and Bam-Bam even more so. They are fed up with me kicking Dino every Saturday night at the moment.

Like you, I believe we'll be fine come the season end. I do think there's a frustration creeping in due to just missing out on top 6 last year. We all expected us to come out of the traps with intent this season. Hasn't happened so far.

Maybe a lot of us revised our expectations to some degree after we found out the full extent of our injuries. Anyway we've got a game in hand.

The point that makes me laugh is you saying Liam will be brilliant. It's laughable that every mistake he makes everyone makes the excuse he's still young etc etc... the guy doesn't even do the basics of a defender right. The only reason he hasn't been dropped is there is no one to replace him with!

Maybe a lot of us revised our expectations to some degree after we found out the full extent of our injuries. Anyway we've got a game in hand.

Interesting viewpoint m'lady.

We knew about Banzo, the one that was unexpected was Muzzy.

Neither injury covers up for the plain fact that we have been rotten in central defence since mid-August.

The point that makes me laugh is you saying Liam will be brilliant. It's laughable that every mistake he makes everyone makes the excuse he's still young etc etc... the guy doesn't even do the basics of a defender right. The only reason he hasn't been dropped is there is no one to replace him with!

It's just me buying into the hype Clarence.

You are absolutely right - exhibit A was Leigh Griffiths at Firhill 6 months ago. Liam's role in that was criminal - although Dan wasn't exactly blameless either.

I really wish people would stop comparing our start last season to this season as if it's ok to do it again and it's not a worry.

The implosion of the Arabs and Killies appointment of diddy managers helped us enormously and that is not going to be the case this time.

This is a relegation battle from start to finish.

ICT got a point today because of their defending , we're shipping points because of our defence.

Start like we did last season and we're fecked.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 2

Debate - this place would be dead without it.

Im not sure what it is you want to debate?

That we should be above 3 other teams. Azeez 1 on 1, if he scores you get your wish, he didnt thats the way it goes. Whats to debate, there?

Our defence is shakey? We have two new signings, are we the only support that doesnt allow players time to bed in?

Booth isnt yet fully fit. Should Penrice have started the season? Maybe theres merit in debating that. Probably not though.

Look, if youre just trolling, let me know. I'll leave you to it.

If you think there is actually something worth discussing, you need to make it more clear.

Im not sure what it is you want to debate?

That we should be above 3 other teams. Azeez 1 on 1, if he scores you get your wish, he didnt thats the way it goes. Whats to debate, there?

Our defence is shakey? We have two new signings, are we the only support that doesnt allow players time to bed in?

Booth isnt yet fully fit. Should Penrice have started the season? Maybe theres merit in debating that. Probably not though.

Look, if youre just trolling, let me know. I'll leave you to it.

If you think there is actually something worth discussing, you need to make it more clear.

Aye ok captain.

Sorry for trying to generate some sensible traffic on here.

Trolling? We are losing goals all over the place right now.

11 in 5 games suggests an issue that needs to be addressed.

You don't fancy what I've posted?

Stay the **** out of the conversation then.

Seems to me at times that people on this forum are far happier writing stupid puns as opposed to actually discussing, you know, football! It's been a poor start to the season and I think it's a good time to at least reflect on the opening games so thank you for Barney for at least starting this thread.

It's been a pretty average start to the season to be frank. Manager doesn't seem to know his best XI, nor what tactic or formation they should be employed in. The signings of Azeez and Gordon have been a little underwhelming, and then we actually buy a player who hasn't even featured yet. Lindsay looks to me a little like Balatoni in the way he can grab goals, yet struggles with the fundamentals of defending. And I know it will be an unpopular opinion, but there are CB's on the continent who are featuring for their respective full national teams in their late teens, so this whole "he's still young" stuff isn't really an excuse. Only in Britain do we seem to consider someone who is just about to turn 21 a "youngster." He has the makings of a decent defender, but needs to cut out the mistakes.

• Like 1

We have conceded 1 more goal than Celtic in the league and scored 1 less goal than St Johnstone who are 3rd. Slim margins making the difference early in the season....we were unlucky against both Aberdeen and Hearts and from what I've read might have nicked it vs Killie. Onward and upward.

• Like 1

We have conceded 1 more goal than Celtic in the league and scored 1 less goal than St Johnstone who are 3rd. Slim margins making the difference early in the season....we were unlucky against both Aberdeen and Hearts and from what I've read might have nicked it vs Killie. Onward and upward.

We've won one game, drawn one and lost three.

We are bottom of the league.

These are facts.