Hamilton 15/10/16.

Auld Jag

Didn't really go into yesterday with much confidence.

Are we too predictable to play against now? Does the manager know his best team?

Looking back to the squad Archie inherited when we got promoted, where are we better off 3 years later?

Defensively, no chance, especially in the full back positions. Our out ball was to the overlapping full backs and although Booth tries this, his final ball is not the best. Don't think wingback play is Gordon's strength.

The central defenders don't seem to play as a partnership. Not as good as previous players.

Midfield, Lawless, Erskine, Welsh, Banzo if fit, not really progressed from the promotion team. I like Osman and Edwards but with Fraser getting fit, what's the best formation and selection.

Archie must have signed either full time or on loan almost double figures trying to upgrade and with the exception of Taylor, he has never improved on Dools.

I'm a big fan or Archie but there is something lacking in either his selection of new players or the clubs backing of him getting the players he wants. Letting 3 defenders go at the end of the season is now biting us. Muzzy has never played a full season wherever he has been so it leaves us alarmingly short.

It's going to be a long season.

The number one thing with any team change at the moment is to get Devine tae feck out of it. When Archie signed Barton (ANOTHER MIDFIELDER!) we were told he can play CB........ SO PLAY HIM THERE......and drop the guy who is selling a goal a game. One of Archies big failings is to persist too long with somthing that isn't working. Someone else mentioned they thought that Barton and Osman were drifting into the same areas and taking each others space and I agree with that so at the moment I don't think it's a loss to our midfeild to take Barton out of it.

I fully suspect however we will start the next game with the same team and tactics that is dropping us points match after match.

nice guys finish last.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

He obviously is not a nice guy, given the finishing positions since he became manager!

Im meaning more the players . we've capitulated without a proper fight several times this seasons. We need some real angry barsteward that hates losing to lead that team and at the moment I can't see one on the pitch or off it.

Archie was as animated as Ive seen him yesterday , I think the pressure is getting to him. Every game this season has looked like an exact repeat of the last one and somthing has to change and change quick.

With the players we have at the moment we really only have the option of playing Barton or Osman at CB intead of devine to improve things or change the formation which recently has been disasterous.

PT - Whats the players careers patter about? Stupid thing to say without backing it up.

Id sacrifice a DM for Amoo or another creative player. The 5 at the back formation, ye can only pish with the stem you've got. We don't have anyone to come in for any of the centre haufs so that's the only way I can see how can stop the bleeding at the back. Last season at tannadice did we not play 5 at the back with bannigan osman and welsh? That's how it was negative. With regards to me show Erskine up front, hes the main creative player who plays his normal role just behind the striker. I don't believe playing 2 holding players is working for us, we need more options when we are attacking

ETA:- Im not sure Barton is the centre hauf answer either

Edited by MonehJags

24 hours after the game and like everybody else still very frustrated. For what it's worth I feel our problem is mainly confidence. It was the same story as the Motherwell game in that we fell out the game in the last 20 minutes hoping to hold on rather than seeing the game out. I know everyone is blaming Devine but I think it's a collective failure. We couldn't keep the ball and when they had it we didn't get in about them in midfield. Given we are fragile at the back, as with M'well we all knew an equaliser was coming. In both games we played fine for an hour and then the same players don't pas s,tackle or mark and instead let our opponents come on to us.

Solutions? Try Abdul or Barton alongside Lindsay and Elliot at right back but maily remind the whole squad about how to close a game. Like everybody else I can't understand how we can go a season with only 2 centre halves. Does anyone know what's going on there given Archie's and Shaggy's background?

In the meantime we all need to get behind the team during the next 3 games. We've got the players to turn this around as we've done in recent seasons. So go for it Jags starting next Saturday.

In addition to Lindau's examples, Hearts' first goal and St Johnnstone's first goal against us were the result of crosses, so that means a minimum of five league goals lost so far this season have been attributable to crosses.

Ive not denied we have an issue defending crosses. Infact everyone has an issue with the amount of goals we concede from crosses.

Surely that backs up my point that you rarely score from crosses? The fact we are complaining about how many we've conceded supports my point.

In the last 3 years I have crossed swords with many on here about my backing of Archie (most of whom have disappeared) but I always said that he is not immune to criticism from me and I ain't gonna sit back and not criticise him for the shambles of the current squad. Facts are it could cost us our place in the league. We have a central defence that is leaking goals in every game, bar ICT, is bereft of any confidence and that makes you close your eyes every time the opposition launch a ball into the box. We have no cover for that position. Maybe a couple of clean sheets might solve that, but we appear a million miles away from achieving a clean sheet. We have two strikers that haven't scored a goal between them in the league and again we have no back up. The manager cannot be defended on these two points. Just hope we aren't cut adrift at the end of December and hopefully he can balance the squad better and give us a fighting chance. If he can't, we will be in the championship next season

For me, confidence wasn't necessarily a factor until after the result v Hearts.

What followed was the non-performance v St Johnstone. With the subsequent run of results we are in freefall, no question.

A win of any sort would be very welcome right now, but it is very hard to predict where it might come from given the fragile nature of our defence and the inability of almost anynone bar Chris and Liam to score..

Ive not denied we have an issue defending crosses. Infact everyone has an issue with the amount of goals we concede from crosses.

Surely that backs up my point that you rarely score from crosses? The fact we are complaining about how many we've conceded supports my point.

I understand where you are coming from PT, but my point is that you cannot present that assertion as a fact to the Thistle support on the basis of what we have witnessed so far this season!!

Edited by Barney Rubble

I don't think most people on this forum appreciate the constraints Archie has to work within.

Think most of us know that, but it's no excuse to overload the squad with midfielders while totally neglecting the central defence and striking positions. That is basic management. How on earth can you go through half a season with absolutely no centre back or striker cover. We let Nesbit and Pogba go and brought no one in except another defensive midfielder. We let Miller, Seaborne and Frans go and brought in Danny Devine. Not good enough I am afraid. Pretty sure Archie knows himself that he has arsed up the close season

Osman

Welsh

Barton

Fraser

Banzo

Wilson

Edwards

Ah cool. On first glance it seems a lot. However...

It wasnt more than 3 or 4 games ago Edwards would be mentioned as competition for Erskine. Last season the fans thought he was a shite DM. Now hes one of 7.

Wilson is probably on a pitance.

Banzo is a long term injury, future investment.

Fraser is a long term injury and flaters to deceive.

Welsh is honking.

That leaves Osman & Barton.

• Like 1