Be Careful What You Wish For!

Lindau

Although I miss not having a game to go to, it's nice to have a couple of weeks off, especially when you are fighting off the backend of a flu like virus. Sitting here and reflecting on other football matters and seeing the St Mirren score (beaten 3-0 at home by QOTS) and where they were with Danny Lennon. Won them the League Cup, kept them in the SPL when he was in charge, but that wasn't good enough for some, including the board. Idea's above their station. They are staring Div 1 football straight in the face now, due to disasterous managerial appointments, since they sacked Danny. I have criticised our board on more than one occasion, but thank God they haven't listened to any dissenters on here and there have been plenty over the last 4 years. They will only realise the job Archie (and Shaggy) have done once he leaves the club....and that day will come, but hopefully not for a while yet!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 3

This point has been made several times. Its flawed though. Is that what happens if you dare to dream of better? St Mirren ****** up when they appointed Tommy Craig not through lack of ambition

They f***** up when they sacked Danny Lennon after he had won them a cup and they were still in the SPL. They had a bad run and some of the fans demanded action. Does that not remind you of on here, every year for the last 3.5 years. If not you must be blind!

• Like 1

I agree with MonehJags. It was not the sacking of Danny Lennon that was the mistake. His possition had become untennable and they had to make a change, You can hardly claim that he has set the heather on fire since he left Saints. The mistake was the appointment of Tommy Craig and subsequent appointments which in hindsight they have got horribly wrong. I can think of another club which doesn't have a great track record in that department

I dont believe after what Lennon done for St Mirren he deserved sacked. Far from it. I agree with your point to an extent. Archie has done a good job with us. If he even just took us to semi final i would give him the freedom of Maryhill. There are a few on here, myself included, that get frustrated at times with what we have seen or results. Everyone knows archie will never be pumped oot even if we got relegated. The board at st mirren have ultimately got them into that position in my opinion due to their managerial appointments

This point has been made several times. Its flawed though. Is that what happens if you dare to dream of better? St Mirren ****** up when they appointed Tommy Craig not through lack of ambition

Did they dream or pander to fickle fans that quickly forgot the success of the previous year. If appointments like Tommy Craig is dreaming then all their dreams must be nightmares. They are pretty lucky then because they are surely dreaming big now.

Danny Lennon didn't deserve to be treated the way he was and just maybe they are paying the price for that now.

• Like 1

Unless I've missed a lot of relevant posts I can't mind any of the Archie Must Go crew ever suggest an immediate replacement.

I doubt when Danny's time was up with St Mirren most Saints fans would've expected a couple of his replacements to be of the dubious quality of Tommy Craig and later, Alex Rae. No doubt however Iain Murray was generally welcomed as an up and coming manager, who had initial success with his first serious managerial job. Similarly their latest manager, Jack Ross, was yet another new kid on the block. Has nobody noticed the similarity of these two managerial signings with another previously successful young manager at Cowdenbeath?

I can understand St Mirren wanting to replace Danny Lennon. However I can't understand a then top league club not having a creditable replacement lined up. That's just stupid. And OK, it's purely guesswork but if they had stuck with Danny, with the resultant continuity that would offer, I very much doubt they'd be sitting bottom of the 2nd tier. Lennon was no real success. His subsequent failure at Alloa, where Ross was relatively successful is adequate proof. That said he's to date far more successful than any who followed him in Paisley.

Lindau's 100% correct in saying be careful what you wish for. Even if it's only really a small minority that would like to see Archie move on.

I dont believe after what Lennon done for St Mirren he deserved sacked. Far from it. I agree with your point to an extent. Archie has done a good job with us. If he even just took us to semi final i would give him the freedom of Maryhill. There are a few on here, myself included, that get frustrated at times with what we have seen or results. Everyone knows archie will never be pumped oot even if we got relegated. The board at st mirren have ultimately got them into that position in my opinion due to their managerial appointments

Agreed, the cup runs are one thing that he needs to improve on. They have not been acceptable. With the first draw that we have in the SC this season, maybe, just maybe, this could be our year for a half decent run. Think that's something we would all agree on!

Edited by Lindau

A lot of frustration there, I would imagine, on both sides. I believe that was the first match QotS have won since September. St Mirren are a real mess now, the wheels have come off. Feel sorry for their fans. We know what it's like to be on a, seemingly, inexorable slide.

I can't remember a case where this sort of reaction from a manager has ended well for them.

A lot of frustration there, I would imagine, on both sides. I believe that was the first match QotS have won since September. St Mirren are a real mess now, the wheels have come off. Feel sorry for their fans. We know what it's like to be on a, seemingly, inexorable slide.

I can't remember a case where this sort of reaction from a manager has ended well for them.

My feelings as well. If he wants to speak to supporters, he should contact the Supporters Associations, book a hall and a Q&A scenario. Things like he did yesterday could easily get out of hand and turn nasty!

Point of order. My recollection is that Danny was not sacked. He came to the end of his contracted period of service and St Mirren did not offer him a new contract.

In a roundabout way that sounds like a sacking to me. If you are happy with the manager, you give him a new contract, if you are not, you dispense with his services....in other words you no longer have a job here mate!

There was a lot of shit stirring going on behind the scenes by Tommy Craig and Gary Teale during DL's final season. Coveniently that led to TC getting the job.

The vast majority of St Mirren fans who called for DLs head now hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong. He had an aging squad and didnt have the financial backing to replace with the same quality. Thompson, Teale, van zanten, Goodwin etc Newton and Dummett returned to Newcastle. McLean, McGowan, McGregor left.

When manager of St Mirren DL's target was survival, just that, not progress, not top 6. Just survival.

The Alloa comparison is squed(?) As DL had nowhere near the budget Jack Ross had.

Ian Murray had all the credentials to be a success at St Mirren but it seems he took over a shambles of a squad but didnt have the where withall to improve it.

Rae lost the dressing room early. Against Rovers in the cup, to be exact. He never won it back.

There can be no doubt that everyone at St Mirren would love to be able to turn the clock back and at least given Danny Lennon one more season. They were perfectly safe when he left, there was absolutely no need to make the change.

The comparison with ourselves is completely valid as we are a similar sized club who have found ourselves in a similar position to the one they are now in.

It's all very well dismissing the comparison by saying that they shouldn't have appointed Tommy Craig, but who's to say we would make the right appointment? No matter who you appoint it's always a risk, and for clubs like us and the saints we are never going to be able to attract the best of the best.

It's a further reminder as to the complete idiocy of those calling for Archibald to sacked. They all claim to be entitled to an opinion of course, no matter how ill-informed they may be.

• Like 1

Highly satisfying to see St Mirren in this position - karma as a result of Gilmour's Hampden tantrum - he expected Thistle and the other clubs in Division One at the time to take a hit for St Mirren (and others).

Gilmour is no longer involved with St Mirren. They are now fan owned.

Im quite sure the majority of St Mirren fans agree, however, that at the time, his statement that Sevco should be relegated to tier 2, was embarressing.

And worth remembering, we have a chairnan, who has never stated for the fact, how he voted, that day.

Edited by potty trained

And worth remembering, we have a chairnan, who has never stated for the fact, how he voted, that day.

For Rangers in the Championship, has to be.

The comparison with us & St. Mirren is very valid. I presume Archie will leave someday, hopefully we are still in the Premiership at that point. A wrong appointment then could see us down in the lower leagues for years. Yes, we may go on from there but unless our fan base increases regularly we are no longer a 'sleeping giant' & will always be vulnerable should any combination of bad decisions be made (bad signings, change of manager, change of BoD).

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Gilmour's comments during Thistlegate were disgraceful and it's fair to add, most likely harmful. Also I don't recall many Saints fans at the time distancing themselves from those comments. I'm not tho' indulging in any Schadenfreude at their current predicament.

What was Thistlegate and what were SG's comments?

What was Thistlegate and what were SG's comments?

Referring to our relegation in '04.

Gilmour had a few months previously been voicing off about a joint legal battle with us if the SPL changed the rules for membership (minimum ground capacity). Then sometime (between the 1st and 2nd vote, certainly around that time) he was quoted as saying we should be relegated. I doubt it was any coincidence St Mirren were laying plans for the Greenhill (?) site (under 10000 capacity) plus he mentioned the monetary benefits our away crowd would bring to Love St compared to ICT.